Customer Satisfaction Results

American Airlines

Complaint Department

Filed by Christine Hall on Jan 29, 2015
Consumer Rating

I'm a white 62 disable female and I was asking one of your employee were do I catch a shuttle bus to go to a hotel and she told me that I would have to get in a line going outside so I did but when I did go outside she came up to me and ask me what the heck iI was doing I told her again I was waiting for a shuttle to the hotel she told me I was in line for the shuttle to the airplane I told her she told me to she got mad at me and told I could go to jail and she said you people think you can do whatever you want to and the person was black woman and I felt she was against white and I was very upset and wanted to cry. Also my flight canceled do to too many airplane needed to be de-iced there was 18 plane ahead of us do to all the flight crew wasn't there so by the they got one there they had to canceled the flight. They had me to the American airline desk they set me up with another flight and I ask her about staying in a hotel she gave me a voucher for a cheaper hotel and I asked her why would I have to pay for a room she told me they couldn't do nothing about so being disable is just to bad for me all this happened in Philadelphia, my flight number was 3780 the date was 1/06/15, trip number was 218-512-630-03 airline confirmation was BVBQJQ. I like to use American airline but I didn't like your employees in Philadelphia and I didn't like to be treated the way I was treated.

7 customers agree with this feedback

Do you agree? Yes or No

Do you have a complaint about American Airlines?

Compare American Airlines to Similar Airlines more...

American Airlines Customer Feedback Trending Now

63 American Airlines consumers have created complaints against American Airlines to date. Need to report poor customer service? Use our free American Airlines complaint form to share your review. Need to contact American Airlines corporate headquarters? Find office address, phone number, and email information here.

Consumer Rating

On April 24,2015 I flew from a stop over in Salt Lake City flight1344 (First Class) to Dallas Ft. Worth arriving late . I am disabled so had a wheel chair & my attendant sprinted to get to the Americn flight 1572 to find very sadly that my 1st class ticket had been given/sold whatever to someone else. explanation. "We thought you were not going to make it". I'm here now , the doors were not shut, I explained I had 3 surgeries in the last 6 months & need the 1st class better seating. I have a 1st class ticket in my hand. As it was , I got no where & felt powerless less then throwing a fit. I did ask to talk with a supervisor who simply said"there are no more 1st class seats" and walked away. Due to a storm we all had to get off the plane anyway & re board later. Still no consideration for my situation. Why could they not ask this up graded person that I DID make the flight & would he/she please take his assigned seat in coach 9th row. That was a very long uncomfortable flight for post op back surgery . I will send a Docters note if needed. This is my 2nd written complaint.

Consumer Rating

08 04/20, My, flight was postponed from 7:10 am to 9:30am, then to 10:30, then to 11:30 am,then to 1:30 pm. Finally around 2: pm they told us the airplane could not be fix, this cause me a day of work and also another day that I could have spent with my family had they would have cancelled the flight from the beginning , I would have gone back home right after, since I knew my work day was already ruined.

Consumer Rating

I am not satisfied with the ticket that was issued to me on April 13, 2015. The flight was books at 12:00pm and did not arrive until 3:00 am the next day!! This was very stressful, especially to my family members due to this being my first time as a passenger. Not only was the delay annoying, but on my way to Brownsville, Texas, the flight stopped in Arlington. The passengers were told that if they wanted to take a cab, they were allowed but had to pay out of their own pockets. American Airlines did not give us good service and for that, I am never using them again!

Consumer Rating

On April 24, 2015, the flight #1344z from Salt Lake City to Dallas Ft. Worth was running late; my wheelchair attendant ran with me to catch my next flight to Hartford, Ct.#1572. I was the last person to enter the plane only to find out my 1st class ticket was sold. I had back surgery in Dec. 2014 & hip replacement in Feb. 2015 so I needed more comfort in seating. Ticket person just simple said "we did not think you were going to make it" The airlines, in my opinion could have found out I was in route with wheelchair assist. They should not have sold my seat without verifying. What makes it worse is that they refused to refund me my money for my paid first class seat! Very uncomfortable ride for me to my final destination!!

Consumer Rating

I went on a business trip to Louisville to speak at a conference. The flight was delayed 1 1/2 hours. Due to the delay, I missed the next flight from Charlotte to Louisville. The customer service rep told me that they would book me on the next flight, but it would be an hour and 36 min wait. I booked the flight, but ended up sitting in the airport for 4 more hours!! I missed the entire function. This made me look bad as well as made you look bad American Airlines! American can no longer be trusted as the best way to travel when dealing with a tight timeframe (which is my business as a pubic speaker). I will never use American again!

Consumer Rating

I booked an air ticket a couple of weeks ago, I realized yesterday I booked it backwards, I called to see how I could correct the mistake. The supervisor I spoke to said "that she would waive the consolation fee and I can pay the difference of the flight." I was really upset because the airline ticket was $264 more for each person.

So I told her I will have to talk to the other people and call her back. I called the next day still very upset and cancelled very emotional. The other person called me and said she wanted to pay the extra money, I called back and talk to the supervisor Ms. Taylor out of the Dallas office to see if I can reinstate the ticket and let us pay the difference for the trip.

She was very nasty and said no she will not because I should have caught that mistake earlier. She said she didn't care about how anyone feelings. I was a loyal customer and American Airlines Advantage preferred customer, I guess not anymore. Way to go with the nasty customer service, I guess helping people is not what they take pride in.

Consumer Rating

My wife and I travel each year for vacation. We always use American Airlines. The reason being is your on time arrival percentage and the overall cleanliness of your air craft. The pilot and crew always seem to know what they are doing follow all safety procedures and we feel comfortable flying with your company.

Unfortunately, that all changed for me yesterday, April 23, 2015, to the point where I am thinking of canceling our vacation plans with you in October of this year. I was on flight 2939 leaving Chicago and flying to Champaign April 23. I was seated in seat 3C which, of course, you know is located right up front near the cock pit.

At first all seemed normal as both pilots entered into the cockpit and closed the door. I could hear the different alarm and chimes as I assumed they were doing their pre flight check list. After a short time one of the pilots came out of the cockpit, closed the door, took his jacket from the closet near the flight attendants area, left the plane and walked up the jet way. I found this puzzling as I have watched pilots secure the fight attendant as a second person while they use the restroom during flight.

After the recent incident where the pilot was left alone in the cockpit and crashed the plane into the mountain I understood from the FAA director on the news that in the US this practice was not the standard. That the attendant is to be the second person in the need of the pilot having to exit the cockpit. This rule keeps anyone from being alone in the cockpit.

The pilot finally arrived back around 13 minutes later as I was timing it on my phone. I would think that whether the plane is in flight or not your company would want to follow this rule and not leave pilots or anyone for that fact alone in the cockpit.

As if that was not enough of a scare for me, a gentlemen came into the plane in civilian attire and began to talk and laugh with the attendant who I learned was named Pam. The attendant knocked on the cockpit door, and the pilots opened it. He began to laugh and talk with the pilots. The airport personnel removed the walk way and the attendant locked the door to the aircraft.

We then began to get pushed back from the gate and then I watched this person climb inside the cock pit and close and lock the door. The two people sitting by me saw this and asked me "did you just see that?" Of course I replied yes. This made everyone around who saw this very nervous especially with this happening right after the pilot had left the cockpit leaving the other pilot alone, exited the aircraft and went who knows where for 13 minutes.

And then finally came, the safety briefing the attendant chose not to wait for the prompts on the recorded safety announcement. She crammed them altogether and did not even announce to shut off your phones or any of that. Then she sat in her jump seat and texted on her phone the entire time we taxied and even through take off until we were I the air.

I understand your team knows what they are doing, and they are well trained. However, there is a point even a dangerous point where you become too relaxed in the fact that you know what you're doing. Not following simple safety guidelines, ignoring what is going on, and allowing people that are not uniformed ride in the cockpit I would think all of these infractions are totally unacceptable to you and your safety standard department.

I, and several people around me, never felt relaxed or safe the entire flight. I could not wait until we were safe on the ground again. If the flight crews are this careless with the safety rules, what are your mechanics and other personnel letting slip by or not following because they think they know better. It is my safety you are gambling with, and I don't feel like you have a right to do so.

Consumer Rating

I missed my connecting flight to Mexico from DFW. I have never been to DFW. There was a man that I was helping on the airplane that was blind and did not speak any English. Even if I didn't help him, I don't think I would have made my flight. I ran across the airport to the terminal and was not allowed on the plane (they said my luggage was not on the plane). They rerouted me to the next morning.

The agent was rude. She did not have time for me. She told me that she had another flight that was coming in, and she didn't have time to deal with me. Then I had to pay for a room. I got a shuttle to the wrong hotel. (Same name -different address) Then the front desk wanted me to take a shuttle back to the airport at 8:00pm. That was not going to work for me, so I took a taxi that the front desk called. The taxi was a dump!!! A $26.00 DUMP. I made it to my hotel at 9:00p. I had to get up at 4:00am to make a 5:00am shuttle. And, my luggage was in Cancun in the American airlines office. @7:30AM. My rental car agreement was cancelled and I paid top dollar for my rental car on an Easter Weekend. I speak Spanish --- however, I'm still a foreigner. I'm a travelling woman by myself. I felt like I got thrown into cyberspace.

Consumer Rating

I got to Atlanta Hartsfield Airport at 4:00AM on 4/20/2015 making sure I had enough time to checked my luggage in my flight left at 5:20AM when I arrived at my destination my bags was not there. That's was very inconvenient for me I had a Major Presentation, the clients was waiting for me to show them our product. I couldn't present it to them because what I needed was in my luggage which had not been put on my flight I didn't receive my luggage until 12:30 or1:00 pm today. When they dropped them off at the Hotel I tried calling to check to see was my luggage and no one answered. Flight AA4256 Gate T10.

Consumer Rating

My interaction with American Airlines agent "Scott" was notrosious. I had specifically asked if their was any flights that would get me home sooner. I was on a flight leaving from Kansas City, MO heading to Dallas, Tx flight #1535. She yelled at me saying that I was not a preferred customer and I didn't have "platinum priveleges." I asked her if I could pay the $75 standby fee and she replied that I couldn't pay it, that I wasn't platinum and wasn't approved for it. I asked if I could speak with a supervisor. She said "you gonna havta wait, he busy. " and she shoved me aside. 45 minutes later (I talked to "Scott" at 12:18 and didn't get a response until 1:05pm) she said "oh he busy still and there's nothing you can do. I asked for her name and she said "Scott" and I asked is that a first name or last name and she responded "that's all you gonna get." After I told her I would just stick to my flights, I turned to check in at the kiosk. I heard "Scott" tell couple girls laughing "after all that she gonna leave, what kinda girl is she? and laughed and pointed at me. I was humiliated. I felt like an animal at the zoo. "Scott" is a older lady, with curled up black hair. I will NEVER recommend this airline to anyone. If I don't hear from you all in 45 days I will complain to the US Transportation Bureau and the Better Business Bureau.

Consumer Rating

On 3/2615 I did a phone reservation with a voucher from LAX to NY. I was informed that since the voucher was for 382 and the cost of the fly was 463. I was going to be charge $81.00 ONLY. So I sent the voucher to FL along with the name and flights for this trip.

On April 9th I received a call from American airlines stating that my card was not working . So I provided a second one. They assured me that the charge would only be for $81.00 so I used a card that I did not had enough credit. To My surprise, the airline charged me $463.00 without my authorization. This is not right and will not be ok. Now I am over drawn and my bank withdrew a $50.00 charge for it . Plus I might have to pay so much for interest to pay it.

On the weekend April 18 and 19 , 2015 I called again to customer service reservations. which then they told me a different story. They said because there is another airline involved on it. They had to charge the full amount and wait till they have the voucher to provide me with a refund of the $382.00. I was so upset so the mis communication from the customer service team.

On Monday April 13, I spoke to two other two people at customer service which they told me other story. So I requested to speak to a supervisor. Which she noted that the refund showed being do on Monday april 13 2015. She told me that I was not able to see it on the aa.com website . but she can see it on her end. She did explain that they had the voucher and they should of explain to me how the voucher should of work. so she told me that the credit card refund should of been done no later than Wed April 15th 2015. She also advised me to call her back if this did not happen to try to help me other ways. So I waited.

On Wenesday April 15, I called again to check on my refund. First al all, I asked the rep to read the notes which I can not see. She read them and said that I needed to call the next day because the refund department was already closed since they are two hours ahead of our pacific time.

On Thursday April 16th, I called again to check on my refund. I asked the rep again to read notes. which she got all confused and could not help me. She just said that If I needed a refund I would get another voucher. WHY would I get another voucher, since the reason I paid so much and with stops to get to New York was to be able to use the voucher and since I did not had extra money to spend. I told her if I wanted to pay with Jet Blue or Expedia. NON stop from LAX or Long Beach to NY were only $269.00 round trip. Why would I wanted to spend the double with stops. So I asked her to put me through a supervisor again. Which I did . Laura Diaz, which by the way, has no customer service skills. She got upset at me and told me off. She also told me she could not help me and come to you for help.

This is awful business ethics! I am overdrawn with no way of paying and all b/c American Airlines does not know how to take care of their customers! The miscommunication from all of your team and lack of knowledge of how the vouchers work has brought me to make this complaint.

Consumer Rating

I had one of the worst experiences of my life while flying with American Airlines. I had to wait for three hours on the Tarmac while they changed a flat tire (as if they couldn't change it while we were waiting in the nice, air conditioned terminal with comfy seats, restaurants, and bathrooms). Also, while sitting there for three hours none of the flight attendants offered us something to eat or drink or anything. We had to wait, on a hot airplane, for hours without even water! It was cramped and other people were getting irritated as well. I could not believe how awful we were treated on that flight. I will NEVER fly with American again. My business will go to Virgin America cause I hear how awesome that airline is and how well they treat their customers!

Consumer Rating

We were scheduled to leave Vietnam to connect in Hong Kong on 4/11/15 on flight CX0772 at 0625 wife's confirmation # 8BMP73 and mine was 8BFOX6. We were told by Cathay Pacific Air that our connecting flight from Hong Kong to Dallas was cancelled and we would have to rescheduled.

We and many other passengers were told we would have to contact our booking agent and American Airline to be rescheduled. This was when the nightmare started, while trying to contact an agent, Cathay Pacific said they could schedule me to Hong Kong that day but my wife would have to wait and go to Tokyo the next day. I ask I thought the flight was cancelled from Hong Kong they said yes but I have layover in Hong Kong, too confusing. I had to be on my personal cell phone for 1 hour and 45 minutes to an American Airlines agent. This time frame is insane, which we will have to pay for and is not cheap through our phone courier. There was other flights going out that that day 3 to 4 hours later, but was told that was not enough time to set us up. With todays technology and that's not enough time, I find hard to believe. At the end of 5 hours of hearing excuses and frustration, we were rescheduled to leave the next day.

This was very poor service and basically we were left stranded, America Airline was paid upfront and should have been doing the leg work to reschedule, a customer should not have to hunt down an agent spend hours on the phone (which will be a $230.00 bill) have to change our personal schedule for an unnecessary layover

Consumer Rating

It started in ST THOMAS on march 30,2015 at 8am to Miami I had board then then the pilot announce that is a mechanical problem.so everyone got off .when it was my turn at the counter I explain had a very important meeting the next at 8am .so they put me on cape air to Puerto Rico they did speak with some on the phone in front of me and confirm everything and give me tickets .I arrived in Puerto Rico stood in line then the person told me to go to USAir so I did waited in line they ask why am I here, that American and this is were it begins I had to go back to American then it was a big fight on the phone then American sent me back and a guy from USAir walk back with me to 2 different counter we never got waited on so he sent me outside to the American counter by this time all the flight left and I missed my meeting Indianapolis.

I put in the hotel at the airport in san Juan and the lady rebook me for the next day. So the next day I was in line to board the plane the lady told me to come out an go to the counter so I did. oh you ticket was cancelled I told her know it was issue to me the night before so she check and then said ok. The return to ST THOMAS my god was just as bad I work at the airport in San Juan 21years and 8 years in ST THOMAS my company has stores in most of the airport in the US and Canada the next day we had a walk through to see the stores in Indianapolis airport so I when to see if I could check in the lady say you have to do in the machine in front I try to explain what happen then she told me you need to come back tomorrow 4 hrs before your flight .My flight was noon I decide to come around 8am thank god I did.

I was told that my flight was cancelled to go over to American so I did American sent me back to USAir I ask to speak with a supervisor the gentle man came over I explain what had happen he was the only person that was professional doing this back and forth nightmare he printed out 2 tickets Indy to Charlotte and Charlotte to Miami then he sent me to American to get the ticket from Miami to ST THOMAS in all the years I have been flying American I have never wanted to use American or USAir again it is so obvious that their is a big war between the employee's and the passengers paying the price .This is just unacceptable. This really need someone's attention .

Consumer Rating

My flight was canceled due to mechanical problems. I was booked on a flight two days later but when asked if I coul rent a car and drive the five hours, I was told I would be reimbursed for rental car by an agent. Now they refuse to reimburse me for the vehicle. We had 9 passengers in the vehicle. Saved American airlines hundreds if not thousands of dollars. Shame on them. Their agents word is worthless.

Consumer Rating

Today my flight from Houston to St Louis via a flight exchange in Dallas was delayed. Instead of the connecting flight awaiting they left so I am now stuck at DFW. I am a minor so this was a complete disregard for my well being!

Consumer Rating

My baggage handle was ripped and need to be replaced when I checked my baggage it was in perfect working order no problems when I get back to Denver it was damage the baggage service person wasn't very helpful ,he was too busy chewing his GUM. I was told here is a number you can call and here is your file locator number, but I don't think that they will do anything for you. What bad relations in other words AA really don't care what happens to their customer's baggage, when we have to pay $25.00 per bag we should have the right to get our bags the same way we give them to be checked. I'm very disappointed in AA.

Consumer Rating

We booked our flight to Aruba 3.5 months in advance and confirmed having seats together. We are frequent flyers and they have all our contact info and were clear that if there was a flight change they would text me. They didn't. My flight was changed to the middle of the night but they didn't notify me, they also booted us out of our seats so we didn't have assigned seats anymore. We didn't find out until the day of the flight when we tried to check in on line and werent allowed. It took a couple of hours to find and get to the right people and have our flight work so that my 10 year old wasn't leaving at 2:30 am with a connection in the am. We did get it changed but it cost us a hotel night at our own expense in Miami. But then the seats were not assigned, so I had to call again because we still could not check in online. So they finally fixed that but now we have to leave for the airport, no more time, so we rushed to check in online.

We did get seats but not together, also had to rush to a flight 5.5 hours earlier with and were told to get seats at the airport. Long line, long wait, about 30 min, rude attendant. Finally did give us seats together but charged me for bags. I didn't realize my AA credit card didn't cover bags for this international flight. When i found out I wanted to exchange for my American Express Card which covers my bag fees for AA. He said it was enough he gave us seats together (to replace what they messed up) and didn't have time to do more I would have to contact customer service. When I contacted customer service to return the bag fee and charge to my AA card (only available through correspondence and now on 4th letter), they said they can't do it. So their bad service is costing me many extra hours and stress (thought they eventually fixed the flight and seats) and an extra $200 for the hotel plus bags. The last time we flew they never registered our FF miles for my husband and son (18k miles each) even though I contacted them 3 times and confirmed it was on there, not only at booking but each other time. Now it is 4 months later.

Consumer Rating

They charge you unheard of amounts of money to give your miles to someone. Even though you can use your miles for free to buy someone else a ticket

Consumer Rating

Folks, First I called your 1-817-786-3778 number as directed selected item 6 once done the phone cuts off EVERY time!!! My wife and I were trying to fly to Pittsburgh due to an unexpected death in family as you can imagine we were not in the best of spirits. We checked in,, obtained our tickets proceeded to the gate where we were told we were on standby!!! We explained our situation to the attendant but was told this happens period! I would expect an airline to try and help considering our situation, but no luck. Another couple were gracious enough to give us their seats which were on row 23! To make matters worse, my wife needs to use a walker due to a broken hip she is recovering from and it would be very difficult for her to maneuver the isle way and may fall down!!. I explained this to the flight attendant and was told if we didn't like it perhaps we should take another flight! Everyone in the front of the plane turned around in disbelief, the attendant turned around and walked away. This is how American Airlines treats passengers regardless of the situation! As a retired Quality Director in the Aerospace industry I could not believe how American's values have dropped, The sad thing is this message will in all probability fall on deaf ears!!!

Contact the American Airlines Complaint Department

• I want to write a letter to American Airlines. What is their corporate mailing address?

• AMR Corporation
    • Fort Worth
    • TX 76155
  • I want to call the American Airlines customer hotline. Do they have a phone number I can call to voice my problem?

817-863-1234
  • I need to visit the American Airlines company website. What is their website address?