Customer Satisfaction Results

American Airlines

Complaint Department

Posted by Christine Hall on Jan 29, 2015
Customer Rating

I'm a white 62 disable female and I was asking one of your employee were do I catch a shuttle bus to go to a hotel and she told me that I would have to get in a line going outside so I did but when I did go outside she came up to me and ask me what the heck iI was doing I told her again I was waiting for a shuttle to the hotel she told me I was in line for the shuttle to the airplane I told her she told me to she got mad at me and told I could go to jail and she said you people think you can do whatever you want to and the person was black woman and I felt she was against white and I was very upset and wanted to cry. Also my flight canceled do to too many airplane needed to be de-iced there was 18 plane ahead of us do to all the flight crew wasn't there so by the they got one there they had to canceled the flight. They had me to the American airline desk they set me up with another flight and I ask her about staying in a hotel she gave me a voucher for a cheaper hotel and I asked her why would I have to pay for a room she told me they couldn't do nothing about so being disable is just to bad for me all this happened in Philadelphia, my flight number was 3780 the date was 1/06/15, trip number was 218-512-630-03 airline confirmation was BVBQJQ. I like to use American airline but I didn't like your employees in Philadelphia and I didn't like to be treated the way I was treated.

6 Customers agree with this feedback

Did American Airlines provide poor service? Yes or No

Do you have a complaint about American Airlines?

Compare American Airlines to Similar Airlines more...

More American Airlines Complaints

Customer Rating

To whom it may concern, I am a teacher in the state of California. I was on my way home from a trip to Costa Rica. I had with me 5 students, a VP and a parent. We had spent a week traveling and learning about Costa Rica’s Rain Forest/ ecosystem.

On our way home (3-29-13), we were on American Airlines flight number 177 out of JFK flying into SFO. What I experienced on that flight was very surprising to me. We were seated on the left side of the plane right next to the serving area for first class. Very early on in the flight we witnessed a tall black man that was working in the serves area (but not serving) have what I would categorize as a childish fit.

He was loud and putting down another airline employee for organizing the service area in a way he did not like. He was waving his hands above his head and talking loud in an angry manner. The two older employes that were waiting on first class had to go in and calm him down. They were explaining to him that people just do things differently and that it was ok. The black man spent the next twenty minutes banging and shoving thing around as he rearranging the service area.

Not only did my student get to hear him putting down another employee they got to witness this episode as well. The employee he was putting down was another black woman waiting on the section behind us. She was also rude to American Airlines passengers when talking to them.

About a half hour after this happened, a passenger behind me set a wrapper and a empty cup on the tray beside this service area. The black man let into him like he was a little kid. The man said he understood not to put his stuff on that tray anymore , but the tall black man kept yelling at him.

He kept saying “you do not ever do that again” “do you understand” in a angry loud voice over and over again. The man behind me told him he understood and could do without the lecture. I have never witnessed that kind of rudeness from an American Airlines service worker in all my fly experience.

I later got up to go to the bathroom. When I walked back to my seat, a bleach blond woman (American Airlines airline employee) with a double chin was standing behind the service cart at the service center for first class. The cart was right beside my seat so I could not get to it. So I was waiting for it to move. She turned around and in a rude and loud voice said ” What are you doing”. At this point, I could see why some people got irate on airplanes.

I was talking to my parent after the flight and he expressed a similar concern about these employees. He got up to throw away his trash. He walked to the back of the plane and held out his cup for the service worker to take. She was just standing in the back. She pointed to a plastic bag about three feet away on the floor.

The two older gray haired service workers in first class (man and woman)and the gentleman who worked the back section who wore am knit cap were always professional, kind, and worked hard. The black man and women and the bleach blonde should be transferred somewhere that does not have contact with the public. Their interpersonal communication skill match that of a seventh grader. The drama they brought to the flight left a bad impression of American Airlines.

I would expect to be treated and watch other people be treated much better than this on American Airlines flight.

2 Customers agree with this feedback

Customer Rating

I needed to make a change in my reservation. I was on hold for four hours before I finally gave up. I will just have to try when I get to the airport to leave and take my chances. Very upset by the inconsiderate nature of this. If it is that busy, HIRE MORE PEOPLE!!!

Customer Rating

on a recent flight to orlando from ireland i paid for 5 tickets with a travel agent in killarney southern ireland 3 adults 2 kids aged 8 and 9 years old flying from shannon to newark to orlando and orlando to newark and newark to shannon on both times we left newark 25 october and return on 2 of nov our kids were put sitting on their own as far as im concerned your company will have no luck in the future when your treating children like this i presume you alredy realise this is my last booking with american airlines

Customer Rating

To whom it may concern receiving complaints about the service Eulen America:
I hereby make a formal complaint about the mistreatment and disrespect observed an employee of Eulen America named Olga, Mrs. old lady, gray hair with glasses, skinny and short, who did not want to provide us with her name or show his identification, covering it with his hands so we could not see it when we express our feelings towrad the way she was treating passegners, specially Cubans. This happened this afternoon, February 24th, at 2:00 pm in the Concourse D / E (for connection flights). This lady by the name Olga. treated contemptuously Cubans who tried unguided to walk out that door, and even some discrimination actitude was noted in her actions when he shouted: "Cubans are not allowed to use this exit, they must go down". However, many other passengers used that exit, without having any connections, but she apparently only referred to Cubans, by identifying them by their appearence and look like. More than once we saw her mistreat and humiliate comrades of the same staff, in front of everyone. When we told, (three people who were observing their behavior), we intend to file a complaint against her and asked for her name, she brought her 'Supervisor' Mr Miche Sixtol, who told us that she was not there to serve the customer, and that he could not give us her name, nor his name, since they worked for a private company. Similarly we saw he tried to prevent us to see his name, but we could see it. Olga's name we knew because we asked one of his coworkers, since all the time she hide her identification with her hand, so we could not see it.
They laughed at us when they saw we could not find someone to take seriously our claim, at least make known the discriminatory treatment of this person towards Cubans, whoonly showed a face of bitter and frustration towards passengers. We approached her just to ask a question, without even letting us finish it. I had to explain to some Cubans thatalso approached her to ask about Cuban flights, but as soon as she heard the word "Cuba" she not even allowed them to finish formulating tjir questions, and simply pointing his finger she sai in a loud voiced: "Cubans must go down ".
For your information, there were people who had the decency to guide us and tell us that this was the best way to make the complaint, and told us that it was not the first time similar incidents had been reported about Mrs. Olga, but no actions had been taken.
This same complaint I have posted on the website of Eulen America, hoping it gets to the appropriate persons/executives, so that this time action be taken to avoid this kind of situations. It is important to note that attitudes like this make a very bad image of the companies involved in any work done at the Miami International Airport, which counts on such a great international prestige.
I would appreciate a response to my emial.
Maria M. Brito
Email: margaret.brito@gmail.com

Customer Rating

This is a follow-up to a previous e-mail complaint that I made earlier this morning, 3/19/2013. Because of our counselled flight, I requested had 2 (two) round-trip airfares. Reason for was because we lost one full day of our Cancun vacation. To add insult to injury ,we were booked on the next flight at 1;40 pm and that flight was also delayed.

On arrival to Cancun we waited patiently for our baggage, too no avail. Our luggage did not arrive. We are now without clothing and bathroom neccessities . Not only did we miss a full -day because of American Airlines ""mechicanical malfuncutions"" but we did not receive our luggage with clothing and were not able to eat out with friends this evening.

We are very dissappointed with this airlines. Doubt we will schedule another flight with your airline in the future. This is our first experience with American Airlines and it has not been good.

Sincerlyl,

David M. Minniear

Customer Rating

On march,10 2013 i made my stop in New York and i found my self with the situation of having one of my bags missing, i filed my report at that same day. Sinse then i've been calling day after day and having nothing in results, no one of your employees seems interested on helping by discovering when i Am having my personal belongings back. It have been a week on my waiting im afraid that Ill have to find another way to have results...

Customer Rating

I am writing this letter to express how disgusted I was with the Customer Service on my recent trip on American Airlines. Departing JFK was a complete nightmare. The flight was originally suppose to depart at 5:05 pm, Thursday, September 22, 2011. Upon arriving to the airport I checked the flight board and saw that my flight was scheduled to depart on time without any delays. Boarding the flight went smoothly until it was time to depart. We were sitting on the plane for an hour without any explanation from the pilots or flight attendants.

It's not until several passengers began to notice that we had not moved from our original spot that they began to stand up and ask questions. The pilot finally announced that due to weather that one runway was being used and we would depart.

The flight attendants service below average. I could not believe that on a flight from JFK to LAS would run out of beverages and snacks. Not to mention I was more appalled that American Airlines did not offer complimentary snacks but were selling snacks (that were sold out as well)! Worst flight I've been on in a long time!

When people fly they would like comfort when doing so. Good customer service should be mandatory! On a flight for 5 hours in misery is horrible. I will be sure to bypass American Airlines and take my business elsewhere until your company decides to step it up.

Customer Rating

My husband Richard and I were booked onto flight 2806 out of Yuma flying into Pheonix. We had a e-ticket with assigned seating, which we had paid extra for by the way. We were at the Yuma airport by the designated time that your website had stipulated. We stood in line at the airport for 45 minutes and were second in line when half an hour before the flight was scheduled to leave your front counter staff shut everything down so that they could now become the ground crew. In the time that we stood in line a woman wearing a supervisors badge came out and talked to her staff for a moment then left and went in to the back leaving all of us standing in line, which there where approximately 16 of us. One of your front counter staff spent 20 minutes with a passenger will the passenger talked to someone on the phone instead of letting other people get booked in. We were than left to stand in line for another hour before anyone one would even talk to us again.

We were put on a standby list for the next flight which had already been over sold. The passengers who were over sold on that flight were given $600.00 and booked on another flight and were still standing in line without even being offered so much as a cup of coffee! Naturally we were not able to get onto that flight after we had stood in line for an hour to be put on standby and another 20 minutes to get through security and now had to stand in line for another half an hour to be put on standby for the next flight and another 20 minutes for the security line to again not be able to get on the flight. And once again could not get on a flight and had to stand in line for half an hour to get another standby ticket and another 20 minutes in the security line.

When I received my standby thicket this time I asked if we could have a lunch voucher as it was now 2:00 p.m. and was told you do not give out vouchers. We were finally able to get out of Yuma on this flight but of course our connecting flight to Calgary, Alberta had left the Pheonix airport at 10:00 a.m. and we were now on the 8:05 p.m. flight. We arrived at the Calgary airport, which is home at midnight when we should have been home at 2:42 p.m. I found your staff to be rude and uncaring. I am a manager in the food industry and I am appalled at the treatment and service that we received, if any of my staff would have treated one our customer in this manner they would be fired on the spot and that customer at the very least would have had their meal for free and offered a complimentary bottle of wine. I would appreciate a reply to this complaint.

Customer Rating

I live in the Phx area. My father was ill so I booked a flt from Phx to Seattle on Feb 28th, coming back the next day, using my US Air dividends miles. I did this as it was a last minute decision to go see him. Since then, he passed away on March 18. I had 29,000 plus miles in my acct. I was charged the following for using MY miles: $12 taxes and fee, $75 quick ticketing fee and $25 award processing fee for total of $111.20!!! Just received the billing. I also have reward miles on Alaska Airlines. They charge me $12 TOTAL to use my miles. I see no reason to charge the amount that I have been charged. I see no reason to add additional miles to my account, then use them and be charge these high fees. Can you please reduce these charges? If not, you will force me to discontinue using my card and miles for future flts. Thanks very much for addressing this matter.

Customer Rating

Flight 1429 to Orlando off this date 27 March was delayed four times and then all the passengers for this flight to Orlando were placed in an airplane that was still being repaired while the temperature was hovering over 100 inside. I suppose your American airline employees thought it was cute that Dadion want to hear anymore complaints from people so they stuck him and lock them inside the airplane to roast. The situation is still ongoing.

Customer Rating

Flight from Cancun, Mexico to Dallas, Tx was cancelled on March 4, 2015 due to bad weather - I understand no problem. I (87NHJ94) and my Wife (Martha 18PHY68) were rescheduled on US Air for March 5, 2015 at 5PM from Cancun, Mexico to Phoenix, Arizona then to Tucson, Az. I paid extra for the seats I wanted on the original flight. On the change I also asked for the seats, but was given the seat across from the bathroom. 4 1/2 hours of having to smell the very strong disinfectant coming from the bathroom. I was complete abuse - completely unexceptable. For days I felt sick and continued to smell the disinfectant. Brain dead CEO's, decorators, designers, employees that only seat in 1st class have no idea what it is to smell the bathroom odors for 4 hours. Please have them seat there and give their opinion. I was abused by being put there. I was a loyal AA traveler-was. Hoplefully someone will understand.

Customer Rating

Last night on my flight 1583 from Phx to Ord,I was excited to be on new clean plane! Passenger across from me -large teenage boy began throwing up long before take off !Noattention given from flight attendants . I was shocked as he was allowed to travel ,exposing us all to who know what,as he continued to throw up the entire 3 1/2 hour trip. The only attention by flight attendants was he was given larger vomit bag after a fewhours! Also overheadcompartment above me kept flipping open - very dsngerous,too!this was ignored Horrible experience!

Customer Rating

I flew 4 first class American Airline flights to and from Ecuador in the last week. These were bought by long time Priority Access members who have been traveling in their first class cabins on and off since the 1980s. I have NEVER seen a more deplorable first class than my last two flights- a 4hr from Ecuador and a 7 hr from Miami. The seats were old with springs pushing through the cushions. absolutely NO ammenities were given. No TV, no fancy blankets, NO dvd's or personal viewing options and the planes were FILTHY. While I paid MORE for the return flights than the first class flights leaving the US-- they had less quality, cleanliness, and ammenities than that of the 1990s coach chairs. Priority Access members pay more for more quality, comfier chairs, and more leg room. NO upgrades at all had been made to the plane in over a decade except an extra blue light put in and internet access allowed.

Furthermore, urine was caked around the entire bathroom--- large yellow streaks covered the entire back and glowed under the light. Even the flight attendents complained they had never seen a more filthy airplane and did NOTHING. WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO PAY MORE FOR FIRST CLASS IF IT IS GOING TO BE A LESSER QUALITY THAN COACH??? American needs to upgrade all their planes and be consistent with the product they are offering. absolutely offensive.

Customer Rating

We were booked on AA 2413 from DFW to LAX connecting flight LAX-OGG flight AA 271, we had already gotten our boarding passes, when we got a call from american airlines that the flight had been cancelled, my wife and me were on the phone with AA rep. but no other flight options were given to us, earliest flight according to the AA rep. was monday 3/9. were on the phone for about 45 min. later when we searched we found seats available to the flight DFW-LAX-OGG for 3/8, when we called back and talked to them including the supervisor Theresea, we were not accomodated on this flight as we had coach tickets and availability was on first class, american airlines were not willing to accomodate us, AA should have the recording on file and the supervisor was quite rude. Cancellation of this flight has cost me 7 days of vacation time, at $300 /hour =$16,800 at $340 in non-refundable tickets on hawain airlines from 0GG to HNL for 3/8 and hotel reservations in OGG.

Customer Rating

I have a flight booked for my daughter that I need to change. Online it says, "this reservation cannot be changed on line please call American Airlines. I have tried for THREE days! Right now I am on hold for two hours and still waiting. This is outrageous...

Customer Rating

On November 2 my party of 5 was suppose to have nonstop American Airlines flight out of San Antonio airport leaving at 7:05 am arriving in chicago around 10:30 am. Our flight was delayed by american eagle because pilot refused to fly. We did not leave until 11:00 to Dfw airport and arrived in Chicago around 5;00pm we only had 2 days and our first day was ruined because we got caught in Chicago rush hour traffic. On our way bac on Sunday we sat on the Tarmac of dfw for 1 1/2 hours repairs. Needless to say because of the airliners I pretty much waisted my money on this trip because I did not Have enough time to do all I set out to do. Also the American Airlines customer service reps in San antonio were very rude to be specific T.k. Jones. I do believe I need to be compensated for my time loss,my party of 5 just threw our money and time down the drain.

Customer Rating

I have received a call from a representative concerning my necklace that they found it and they where suppose to call me back and I have not gotten a call back. I am not pleased with your service I have not only not gotten a call back but I have not received my necklace back either. I have been trying to call as well as sent several e-mail concerning this matter with no response if this matter is not resolved I will have no choice but to submit a complaint with the police department that It was taken out of my suitcase and I will never use your airline again. I have described the necklace to a tee and It also had my name and address with the neckless which is how mary got in touch with me. I have heard absolutely nothing and when I call all I do is get put on hold.Now If I am not gotten intouch with in 5 days I will go onto -facebook-twitter and pinterest and any other web site I can to let people know what kind of service you get and how things are taken out of your bags.not only was my necklace taken but my pajamas...really..baggage people are that desperate....My new address is <hidden>..My name is <hidden>..that necklace was a birthday gift..if I lost it ..it would be one thing, but my suit case was locked.

Customer Rating

I left for the trip of a lifetime that I have planned for a long time to Australia/NZ. My 1st flight was to LA from Sacramento on American Eagle Plane. The lady at counter said she could only send luggage to LA, not to AUS. Went to pick up luggage to recheck in LA and wifes was there but not mine. We saw both luggage pieces go onto plane. The flight was delayed because it needed more fuel and they were shuffling luggage around for 45 minutes. LA did not know where my bag was. I caught my next flight to AUS and had tour company help me follow up. I did not have my dive equipment and missed out on the barrier reef dive. I did not have my belongings and had to spend tour time shopping, missing important events. AA ruined my trip and caused me a lot of stress for 8 days. My bags didnt even leave LA for 5 days. What is wrong with the people working there. If the lady in Sacto had put something traveling to AUS maybe my luggage would have made it. This is not the first time this has happened with this airlines. I think AA needs to pay me for 8 days of my tour that caused me such stress I was not able to enjoy it like I should have. I do not want a voucher for American AIrlines as I plan to never travel with them again. I think a cash settlement for $1,000 is more reasonable and I don’t think that even covers the missed days and things I had to purchase. It does not cover the stress it caused, thats for sure. I do expect a response. If there is not a reasonable resolve to this problem I plan to write to the higher beings and the newspapers. I also no coming home this happened on another flight coming from Phoenix prior to picking us up in LA. The pilot explained exactly why they were late. Sounds like a pattern. Please respond. Thomas Morris.

Customer Rating

I think someone been watching the clock or the 3 hr delay on the tarmac would have cost AA lots of $
AA6159 (british airlines code/share) time of flight was 18:00 At the gate we could see the plane so what was the reason for
showing it was to leave at 20;00 So then we started to board after 20;00 Then the hell began waiting another 2 1/2 hrs leaving
at 22;30 So the Captin finally told us why they had to change some electical problem and still were writing up the paper work
the rule as I know it is only after 3hrs or would there be compensation to the passengers. Good work AA you saved yourselves
lots of $, By the time we did reach LONDON there were at last 100 or more passengers that had misses their connecting flights
A real night mare for all of the parents of small children ,and disabled passengers like myself, From the time I left a bed till I arrived home to my bed was 33 hrs of hell. Why couldn’t AA have taken care of altertive flights at the very least for the passerges that put a very heavy burden on them SHAME ON AA.

Customer Rating

Due to late AA take off of two consecutive attempts to fly to SJC from DFW (direct flight) yesterday, my business colleague and I missed a very important meeting with Intuitive Surgical in San Jose, CA. Both delays were due to AA maintenance issues that should not have happened and posed great safety risk to all passengers.

1. Tires needed changed – we only learned once onboard so had to remain on plane. No choice.

2. Then we had to return to DFW post take off emergency landing due to hydraulics failure.

3. Second plane (no sense of urgency and had to wait in long line to get assistance) had ‘Computer Malfunction’ onboard – we sat on runway for another hour.

No offer of assistance to board another flight airline was provided by any AA gate agent or representative via phone as well. We had no choice once on Plane #2 to stay on as it was out on runway with computer problems.
As this AA negligence has caused us to lose business, waste an entire business day and create an embarrassing business situation for us, I would like to request a Full REFUND or voucher to compensate this embarrassing situation.

My colleague that I was traveling with spoke to Karen Manning in Customer Relations with American Airlines and she issued an e-voucher to her (Michelle Fleming). She was told that I needed to fill out my own form to obtain the same.
My record locator number is YNRVCV and my ticket number was 0012387866966. My AAdvantage number is 2U9M168. Please contact me by phone at (903) 530-6990 or by email billrwoods@msn.com if you need any further information.

Thank you in advance for your help and consideration.

William (Bill) R. Woods

Disclaimer: This complaint was submitted by William R Woods on 03/20/2014 at IP address 99.34.245.48 using our American Airlines complaint form. This opinions contained in this American Airlines customer review titled, “Poor Service = Multiple Delays” do not reflect the opinions of this website.

Contact the American Airlines Complaint Department

• I want to write a letter to American Airlines. What is their corporate mailing address?

AMR Corporation, Fort Worth, TX 76155
  • I want to call the American Airlines customer hotline. Do they have a phone number I can call to voice my problem?

817-863-1234
  • I need to visit the American Airlines company website. What is their website address?