Customer Satisfaction Results

Complaint Department

Posted by Christine Hall
Jan 29, 2015 - Chickasha, OK
Bad

I'm a white 62 disable female and I was asking one of your employee were do I catch a shuttle bus to go to a hotel and she told me that I would have to get in a line going outside so I did but when I did go outside she came up to me and ask me what the heck iI was doing I told her again I was waiting for a shuttle to the hotel she told me I was in line for the shuttle to the airplane I told her she told me to she got mad at me and told I could go to jail and she said you people think you can do whatever you want to and the person was black woman and I felt she was against white and I was very upset and wanted to cry. Also my flight canceled do to too many airplane needed to be de-iced there was 18 plane ahead of us do to all the flight crew wasn't there so by the they got one there they had to canceled the flight. They had me to the American airline desk they set me up with another flight and I ask her about staying in a hotel she gave me a voucher for a cheaper hotel and I asked her why would I have to pay for a room she told me they couldn't do nothing about so being disable is just to bad for me all this happened in Philadelphia, my flight number was 3780 the date was 1/06/15, trip number was 218-512-630-03 airline confirmation was BVBQJQ. I like to use American airline but I didn't like your employees in Philadelphia and I didn't like to be treated the way I was treated.

Have you had problems with American Airlines?

Compare American Airlines to Similar Airlines more...

Top 73 Reviews about American Airlines

The most popular submitted in 2015. Are you a American Airlines customer? Use our online web form to create your own.

Horrible

I booked AA flight #3682 going from LaGuardia, NewYork to Atlanta on May 15, returning May 18, which cost me USD 1018.80 for me, my wife and 2 kids. The departure time was schedule for 6.45am. When we arrived at 5:20am, we were informed that the flight was not leaving till 8.00am, which affected our plans and the functions we were going for. This upset our traveling plans tremendously as we had an event that we needed to be at and would miss by the late travel time.

Secondly, our return flight was scheduled for 12.46pm nonstop from Atlanta to NewYork. When we arrived at the airport 10:30am, we were informed that the flight have been cancelled and they will put us on a flight scheduled to go to Miami at 5:15 pm then we will transfer to New York flight immediately. After waiting for so long and finally arrived at Miami, we found out that there was no NewYork flights and we were re-book for the following morning flight. My family was forced to sleep at the airport!

Now my whole family is badly injured because of these undeserved ugly situation. My wife was fired from her job because of a no show on the 19 of May which she was supposed to go back to work as scheduled, my children missed a whole day of school which affected their class work and their school authority said is going to be in their record, and my job is highly threatened too cause it involves life. Please, we seriously need a compensation for these injuries American airline have caused us.

Horrible

My 2 kids and I planned a flight, which was scheduled to depart May 13th at 11:59 pm fl 1283. We arrived to SeaTac airport at 10:50pm & after approaching the self service check-in machine, we stood in line for quite a while. A customer service rep (csr) approached me and asked where we were flying to. I told her Chicago & she led us directly to the front of the line.

When it was our turn to check in, the csr/Mary Ann/Marianne very rudely said she was not checking us in because we were required to be there 45 minutes prior to the flight. The clock read 11:20pm. I requested a supervisor after Marianne continued to be very rude. (We travel often) when the csr called for a supervisor, a return call came in. Marianne said she was going home when she got off work at 11:30 PM.

As we stood waiting- it was clear we could've made it to the gate in time. Marianne's entire demeanor, attitude & tone of voice changed when the supervisor arrived. Although Marianne initially told us we couldn't leave till the next night at 8 PM, the supervisor spent a lot of time looking into it & found a flight a few hours later.

We could have made the flight. We could've got a ride to the gate to ensure we made the flight. Your employee was very rude! She did not wish to assist us because she would rather get off work on time. This is the second negative experience I had with your airline in the last few months.

Horrible

While waiting for the rain to pass, I was waiting in the lounge for your 7:10a flt DFW-GSP..supposedly the ramp was closed for a few minutes. But the storm passed and before departure time, we all noticed that you were missing a flight attendant. Calls were made but as cheaply as you must pay these people, you didn't have a ready reserve ( shame on you ) of poorly paid reservists to fill in.

Finally they posted a Cancelled sign and immediately made it a OMA flight? So they make the announcement that ( Due to local weather the Flight has been cancelled ) now that's a bunch of crap. Then they stated it as an ( Act of God ) so they weren't responsible for monies needed for a hotel room, as the remaining flights were full and not until the 18th could they get u on a flight.

How terrible first to LIE then to rub it in their collective noses!!! A pilot friend told me they cancelled due to missing crew member as I awaited my turn to be called. They wouldn't authorize a baggage retrieval so as I live in Southlake, Texas, my bag is now going to GSP?

Horrible, Horrible customer service!!!!!!! And outside of a WACO trip, we were the only flight getting cancelled for weather locally?? Now you tell me your not lieing through your teeth? I'm so disgusted with that branch of AA, someone should fold them and do everyone a favor.

Horrible

On Sunday, May 10th, I was scheduled to fly from Palm Springs to Dallas Fort Worth. First the flight was delayed in Palm Springs after getting up at 4:00 AM to catch the 6:05 flight. When finally departed, we were told we could not land in Dallas and circled for 2 hours before having to refuel in Lubbock, Texas.

Then arrived late in Dallas only to find out my connecting flight to Nashville had been cancelled. No one on the flight let anyone know of cancelled flights. Once at Dallas Fort Worth about 500 people were forced to stand in line to get rebooked. I stood in line 7 hours in order to get rebooked for the next day, Monday May 11.

No services were offered to those of us that waited in line, no water, food, etc. Once rebooked - we were given a card to call American Airlines. People were forced to eat from vending machines that finally ran out. Near riot conditions existed when told that the ticket counters would be closing at 10:45 PM and police were summoned.

I finally got my ticket at 11:15 PM - so from 3:30 until then I stood in line. We were told that it was weather conditions, but other carriers were taking off and landing because we heard it. Having not eaten since Saturday at 2:00 PM - 24 hours later - I was able to go to Hyatt and eat.

I finally got a Hotel Room at 2:00 AM at the Marriott which cost me $163.00 for 8 hours. I know that supposedly this was an act of GOD, but lack of consideration on the part of American and no information made for a most unpleasant experience. I am asking that I be reimbursed for my original flight from Dallas to Nashville as well as my hotel room.

Poor

I will never use your airlines since you discriminate against special needs people such as the beautiful family you removed this May!! Autism affects one in fifty people !! It looks like you should just close down !!! Poor poor pilot he fears children that have neurological problems !!! He should be fired and the public would like to hear an apology given to the family and to all there supports. Shameful!!

Poor

I was charged $25.00 for having to check my carry-on bag. Many others got their bags checked free at the gate. One man got on the plane with two duffle bags and backpack and wasn't asked to check his bag. This type of service shows un-equal treatment of passengers. I want a refund of the $25.00 fee.

Horrible

I bought a ticket through American Airlines to go from Little Rock Ark. to Fresno Ca. with a delay in Dallas Texas. I missed my flight to Fresno due to delay in Dallas. In La, I tried to get on another flight but they would not let me on since I had no reservations. Right after American Airlines made it for me to be on a flight then they said no more flights to Fresno Ca. until the next day at 5pm. I was so upset. I bought a ticket on United for the trip back home. I think American Airlines should pay me back the money I had to spend to come back home!!

Horrible

I called at 2:30 eastern time and spoke with Troy URH is the name he gave me. He was very very rude over the phone saying things like "wow I cant believe this," "ugghh," "its crazy that you can't see, it's clear as day to me." He rudely hung up on me as well. He was not helpful at all and his aggressive tone, rude remarks and hanging up on me was not helping. This guy needs a serious attitude adjustment and should not be representing any companies. I will continue to file further complaints on all sites due to my disgust with his attitude. Listen to the recording I was nothing but polite in return.

Horrible

On Wednesday April 1, I contacted my travel Group TZELL Travel Group Northwest to book my sister, Christine Cavil, a flight from Des Moines, IA to San Diego CA on April 10th. When Christine arrived at the airport, she was told her flight had been cancelled and the next available flight was 7am April 11th through American airlines. She did make it to San Diego CA on Saturday. Her return flight was scheduled for Monday April13th with American Airlines from San Diego, CA to Dallas TX with a layover . When she arrived in Dallas her flight was cancelled due to weather. The ticket agent told her the next available flight into Des Moines IA would be Tuesday April 14th at 12.30pm.

Because of the cancellation my sister had to spend the night in Dallas. There was no hotel voucher offered to my sister for her inconvenience. Because of the two cancellation my sister's trip was cut short. This trip cost me $550.00. The confirmation number:BC2KDQ

Bad

Booked two flights from Norfolk ,Virginia to Trinidad and Tobago leaving April 21-29. Raul (Husband) was sent an email stating the original return flight was changed and to call. Called spoke with representative he stated the change was due to the flight being canceled and this was the best flight without having a long lay over. The problems begin on the return flight home to Norfolk Virginia reached MIami missed connecting flight due to IMM/CUST/CBP. Was booked on another flight leaving from Miami at 4:04 to New York LGA reaching at 7:00 next flight leaving at 9:00 to Norfolk Virginia. Once we reached LGA we circled the area for approximately 30 min. The pilot then stated we were going to land at JFK didn't give us an explanation.

We'll landed in JFK was told once we exited the plane there will be and agent out there to help us with our travel planes. Was told by the agent we had had to rebook with USAir went to the counter only to find that they were closed. Went back to American Airlines stood in line again to be told we needed to retrieve our luggage and that it was to late to catch a taxi to LGA because we would not make the flight. Then we were told there were no more flight out to Norfolk Virginia until the next morning and we would have to pay for our on transportation to the hotel and our hotel stay. I ask why female agent stated we had to land in JFK do to weather. Now I'm upset already missed two connecting flight now I'm being lied to she didn't know we had flew around LGA for 30 minute temperature was 76 degrees and clear. We booked a flight for the next morning out of LGA left the counter upset and very dissatisfied could not believe the poor customer service we received.

Proceeded to the counter to get taxi and hotel reservation to be ask why the airline did not cover our hotel stay. I stated I was told due to weather conditions, to only be told that's what your airline tell passenger so they don't have to compensate them for the inconvenience your airline caused. Cheapest hotel near LGA was Fairfield Inn Wehad to pay $174.47 for hotel stay and $32.80 for taxi I am requesting to be reimbursed for the these monies plus compensation for our inconvenience.

Bad

On April 24,2015 I flew from a stop over in Salt Lake City flight1344 (First Class) to Dallas Ft. Worth arriving late . I am disabled so had a wheel chair & my attendant sprinted to get to the Americn flight 1572 to find very sadly that my 1st class ticket had been given/sold whatever to someone else. explanation. "We thought you were not going to make it". I'm here now , the doors were not shut, I explained I had 3 surgeries in the last 6 months & need the 1st class better seating. I have a 1st class ticket in my hand. As it was , I got no where & felt powerless less then throwing a fit. I did ask to talk with a supervisor who simply said"there are no more 1st class seats" and walked away. Due to a storm we all had to get off the plane anyway & re board later. Still no consideration for my situation. Why could they not ask this up graded person that I DID make the flight & would he/she please take his assigned seat in coach 9th row. That was a very long uncomfortable flight for post op back surgery . I will send a Docters note if needed. This is my 2nd written complaint.

Bad

08 04/20, My, flight was postponed from 7:10 am to 9:30am, then to 10:30, then to 11:30 am,then to 1:30 pm. Finally around 2: pm they told us the airplane could not be fix, this cause me a day of work and also another day that I could have spent with my family had they would have cancelled the flight from the beginning , I would have gone back home right after, since I knew my work day was already ruined.

Horrible

I am not satisfied with the ticket that was issued to me on April 13, 2015. The flight was books at 12:00pm and did not arrive until 3:00 am the next day!! This was very stressful, especially to my family members due to this being my first time as a passenger. Not only was the delay annoying, but on my way to Brownsville, Texas, the flight stopped in Arlington. The passengers were told that if they wanted to take a cab, they were allowed but had to pay out of their own pockets. American Airlines did not give us good service and for that, I am never using them again!

Horrible

On April 24, 2015, the flight #1344z from Salt Lake City to Dallas Ft. Worth was running late; my wheelchair attendant ran with me to catch my next flight to Hartford, Ct.#1572. I was the last person to enter the plane only to find out my 1st class ticket was sold. I had back surgery in Dec. 2014 & hip replacement in Feb. 2015 so I needed more comfort in seating. Ticket person just simple said "we did not think you were going to make it" The airlines, in my opinion could have found out I was in route with wheelchair assist. They should not have sold my seat without verifying. What makes it worse is that they refused to refund me my money for my paid first class seat! Very uncomfortable ride for me to my final destination!!

Horrible

I went on a business trip to Louisville to speak at a conference. The flight was delayed 1 1/2 hours. Due to the delay, I missed the next flight from Charlotte to Louisville. The customer service rep told me that they would book me on the next flight, but it would be an hour and 36 min wait. I booked the flight, but ended up sitting in the airport for 4 more hours!! I missed the entire function. This made me look bad as well as made you look bad American Airlines! American can no longer be trusted as the best way to travel when dealing with a tight timeframe (which is my business as a pubic speaker). I will never use American again!

Horrible

I booked an air ticket a couple of weeks ago, I realized yesterday I booked it backwards, I called to see how I could correct the mistake. The supervisor I spoke to said "that she would waive the consolation fee and I can pay the difference of the flight." I was really upset because the airline ticket was $264 more for each person.

So I told her I will have to talk to the other people and call her back. I called the next day still very upset and cancelled very emotional. The other person called me and said she wanted to pay the extra money, I called back and talk to the supervisor Ms. Taylor out of the Dallas office to see if I can reinstate the ticket and let us pay the difference for the trip.

She was very nasty and said no she will not because I should have caught that mistake earlier. She said she didn't care about how anyone feelings. I was a loyal customer and American Airlines Advantage preferred customer, I guess not anymore. Way to go with the nasty customer service, I guess helping people is not what they take pride in.

Horrible

My wife and I travel each year for vacation. We always use American Airlines. The reason being is your on time arrival percentage and the overall cleanliness of your air craft. The pilot and crew always seem to know what they are doing follow all safety procedures and we feel comfortable flying with your company.

Unfortunately, that all changed for me yesterday, April 23, 2015, to the point where I am thinking of canceling our vacation plans with you in October of this year. I was on flight 2939 leaving Chicago and flying to Champaign April 23. I was seated in seat 3C which, of course, you know is located right up front near the cock pit.

At first all seemed normal as both pilots entered into the cockpit and closed the door. I could hear the different alarm and chimes as I assumed they were doing their pre flight check list. After a short time one of the pilots came out of the cockpit, closed the door, took his jacket from the closet near the flight attendants area, left the plane and walked up the jet way. I found this puzzling as I have watched pilots secure the fight attendant as a second person while they use the restroom during flight.

After the recent incident where the pilot was left alone in the cockpit and crashed the plane into the mountain I understood from the FAA director on the news that in the US this practice was not the standard. That the attendant is to be the second person in the need of the pilot having to exit the cockpit. This rule keeps anyone from being alone in the cockpit.

The pilot finally arrived back around 13 minutes later as I was timing it on my phone. I would think that whether the plane is in flight or not your company would want to follow this rule and not leave pilots or anyone for that fact alone in the cockpit.

As if that was not enough of a scare for me, a gentlemen came into the plane in civilian attire and began to talk and laugh with the attendant who I learned was named Pam. The attendant knocked on the cockpit door, and the pilots opened it. He began to laugh and talk with the pilots. The airport personnel removed the walk way and the attendant locked the door to the aircraft.

We then began to get pushed back from the gate and then I watched this person climb inside the cock pit and close and lock the door. The two people sitting by me saw this and asked me "did you just see that?" Of course I replied yes. This made everyone around who saw this very nervous especially with this happening right after the pilot had left the cockpit leaving the other pilot alone, exited the aircraft and went who knows where for 13 minutes.

And then finally came, the safety briefing the attendant chose not to wait for the prompts on the recorded safety announcement. She crammed them altogether and did not even announce to shut off your phones or any of that. Then she sat in her jump seat and texted on her phone the entire time we taxied and even through take off until we were I the air.

I understand your team knows what they are doing, and they are well trained. However, there is a point even a dangerous point where you become too relaxed in the fact that you know what you're doing. Not following simple safety guidelines, ignoring what is going on, and allowing people that are not uniformed ride in the cockpit I would think all of these infractions are totally unacceptable to you and your safety standard department.

I, and several people around me, never felt relaxed or safe the entire flight. I could not wait until we were safe on the ground again. If the flight crews are this careless with the safety rules, what are your mechanics and other personnel letting slip by or not following because they think they know better. It is my safety you are gambling with, and I don't feel like you have a right to do so.

Horrible

I missed my connecting flight to Mexico from DFW. I have never been to DFW. There was a man that I was helping on the airplane that was blind and did not speak any English. Even if I didn't help him, I don't think I would have made my flight. I ran across the airport to the terminal and was not allowed on the plane (they said my luggage was not on the plane). They rerouted me to the next morning.

The agent was rude. She did not have time for me. She told me that she had another flight that was coming in, and she didn't have time to deal with me. Then I had to pay for a room. I got a shuttle to the wrong hotel. (Same name -different address) Then the front desk wanted me to take a shuttle back to the airport at 8:00pm. That was not going to work for me, so I took a taxi that the front desk called. The taxi was a dump!!! A $26.00 DUMP. I made it to my hotel at 9:00p. I had to get up at 4:00am to make a 5:00am shuttle. And, my luggage was in Cancun in the American airlines office. @7:30AM. My rental car agreement was cancelled and I paid top dollar for my rental car on an Easter Weekend. I speak Spanish --- however, I'm still a foreigner. I'm a travelling woman by myself. I felt like I got thrown into cyberspace.

Horrible

I got to Atlanta Hartsfield Airport at 4:00AM on 4/20/2015 making sure I had enough time to checked my luggage in my flight left at 5:20AM when I arrived at my destination my bags was not there. That's was very inconvenient for me I had a Major Presentation, the clients was waiting for me to show them our product. I couldn't present it to them because what I needed was in my luggage which had not been put on my flight I didn't receive my luggage until 12:30 or1:00 pm today. When they dropped them off at the Hotel I tried calling to check to see was my luggage and no one answered. Flight AA4256 Gate T10.

Poor

My interaction with American Airlines agent "Scott" was notrosious. I had specifically asked if their was any flights that would get me home sooner. I was on a flight leaving from Kansas City, MO heading to Dallas, Tx flight #1535. She yelled at me saying that I was not a preferred customer and I didn't have "platinum priveleges." I asked her if I could pay the $75 standby fee and she replied that I couldn't pay it, that I wasn't platinum and wasn't approved for it. I asked if I could speak with a supervisor. She said "you gonna havta wait, he busy. " and she shoved me aside. 45 minutes later (I talked to "Scott" at 12:18 and didn't get a response until 1:05pm) she said "oh he busy still and there's nothing you can do. I asked for her name and she said "Scott" and I asked is that a first name or last name and she responded "that's all you gonna get." After I told her I would just stick to my flights, I turned to check in at the kiosk. I heard "Scott" tell couple girls laughing "after all that she gonna leave, what kinda girl is she? and laughed and pointed at me. I was humiliated. I felt like an animal at the zoo. "Scott" is a older lady, with curled up black hair. I will NEVER recommend this airline to anyone. If I don't hear from you all in 45 days I will complain to the US Transportation Bureau and the Better Business Bureau.

Contact the American Airlines Complaint Department

• Corporate mailing address

• AMR Corporation
    • Fort Worth
    • TX 76155
  • Website link

• Customer service phone number

817-863-1234

Upset at American Airlines?