Redbox

Complaint Department

Most Popular Complaint about Redbox

Posted by Complaints Department on Feb 01, 2015
Customer Rating

Redbox is the way to go for a cheap movie night in.  it’s great to watch a movie for only a dollar.  The many locations make it easy to return and I love that redboxes are located in my local grocery store as well as the CVS down the street.  Great idea and even better date night!

3 Customers agree with this feedback

Did Redbox provide poor service? Yes or No

Do you have a complaint about Redbox?

Customer Satisfaction Results
2.02 out of 5
2.02 out of 5 Stars
46 Consumer Reviews

Redbox
Contact Information

I want to write a letter to Redbox. What is their corporate mailing address?

Outerwall, Inc.
Oakbrook Terrace, IL 60181

I want to call the Redbox customer hotline. Do they have a phone number I can call to voice my problem?

630-756-8000

I need to visit the Redbox company website. What is their website address?

More Redbox Complaints

Customer Rating

i rent 5 movies on a friday night. i return 3 movies on saturday afternoon. return the other 2 movies on tuesday and redbox charges me me $14 dollars out of my credit card. i dont know why. there is no phone number to call them.

Customer Rating

The selection of kids movies are poor and you need more choice. I tried to find lion king 2 and nothing came up you only have 6 disney movies. You need more selection of movies because people are not getting there money's worth. Disappointed

Customer Rating

The last two movies I have rented quit playing shortly after they began. I'm really upset I have wasted my time and money! It's very aggravating to begin a movie you have waited to see then the movie won't play just as you get into it. Very upsetting!!! I would like a refund for both movies!! I love movies and all I use is redbox I can't believe it's happened twice in a row now. Hope to hear from you soon

Customer Rating

Redbox machine where I'm supposed to return film (due today) won't accept the film. Says' error' even though I have done everything I"m supposed to. I then went to another machine, about a block away, same thing happened. Then tried called their free phone # and find it's not working and for only $2.99 I can connected to ??? I didn't do it.

Meanwhile, my film is outstanding for return, Redbox has my credit card # (not good at all) and I have a film I don't want.

Customer Rating

I believe this is the third movie in a row I've gotten that is scratched beyond forwarding. Unable to follow a story line due to skipping or freezing an already tiring user, should Blockbuster still be more available I would have already resigned using your services. I'll continue buying and trading bought movies. Check your inventory more often. This movie had not been out long enough for this...

Customer Rating

This morning I looked at my account online and saw a hold for 53.09. I called Redbox and after about 15-20 minutes she was finally able to find a charge, with my first name (different last name) and the last 4 digits of my account number. I explained that the Redbox she says my card was used at was 10 miles away from where I lived. She advised that I needed to contact my back. I contacted my bank and together we called Redbox back the gentleman I spoke to was SO RUDE!!! He said the charge was valid and that I would need to contact my bank. He says the charge was in my name, I explained that the lady I had spoken to earlier said the charge was under a different last name...did she change to make it look like a valid charge? I am so upset. I don't have the money to waste on a charge in did not accrue!!! Now I have to wait 7 business days to dispute this through my bank. In the meantime...I will be short on my bills. I am so upset and want this rectified as soon as possible!!!!

On 2 separate occasions I rented 2 DVD's and they did not work

The movies I rented was :
Creep Van
Diary of a cheating woman

I was wondering am not entitled to credit for these 2 movies.
I really enjoy the service by REDBOX and as cheap as it is, I still have NO money to give away.

Customer Rating

I made an online reservation with a credit card for 3 movies. I went to the location, with cc in hand, to get the movies and the error message stated that my card didn't match the reservation. I tried the card various ways to make sure I was swiping the cc right.
I went back to my car to get another credit card & got the same movies as my reservation.
When I got home to cancel the reservation, the website listed I couldn't cancel the reservation. I will be charged on a credit card $3,85 for 3 movies that earlier the box location stated the card didn't match the reservation.
I guess I don't understand when I am not making a mistake in the usage of your system for your product, why should I not be able to cancel a reservation. I should at least be told that I can not cancel an online reservation to remind me never to do an online reservation again. This is the second time this has happened to me. It may not seem like a lot of money but I am a college student away from home on Thanksgiving and I thought I'd treat myself today. It's really disappointing.

Customer Rating

I haven't had cable for about 9 months now, so I have spent a lot of money renting movies. Lately about 75 percent of the DVDs I rent from Redbox will not play due to the amount of scratches on the DVDs. It's extremely frustrating to get home and pop in a movie just for it to say "error." I think that you should have a button on the kiosk when you return the movie that you can push telling that that DVD did not work, so that someone can come replace it. I rented 3 DVDs today and only one worked. As I said before this is not the first time this had happened. I will soon be switching to renting from the blockbuster kiosks if no one replies to this email and let's me know that this problem is being taken care of.

-Lacey Bolles
Laceydbolles@gmail.com

Customer Rating

it must be nice to be working and be selling drugs at your job, deliverying pizza is a good cover up for dropping off drugs. what happens when it goes to the wrong person and a child opens it. nice. but she is in stopable, she slepted with the cops of marshall and has it on vidio tape, so now what she can do what she wants???? well reall nice. get fuck over on the service at dominos because she dont like you, she charges you more, just cuz she can. so what is going to be done about it????????? nice when we have to pay more for pizza then the others and she spits on it. nice.. i want it taken care of

Customer Rating

I rented Step Up Revolution tonight & it skips the whole time. It's not dirty. It's not scratched. I've read other posts about this movie not working. I think it's just a bad copy..?? Do I get a credit or a free rental? My husban is returning it now & getting something else. We rent almost every day & have not had this problem before.

Customer Rating

I purchased the Reebok Crossfit Nano about 2 months ago. During this time I have had 2 toe nails turn completely green! They are literally the color of my green/purple sneakers! The dye has gone into my toe nails and can not be removed regardless of what I do. I would like either a credit or some sort of compensation for this.

Customer Rating

Hi I wanted to post a complaint about redbox because I frankly think its messed up of them to over charge me for movies n then have movies in redbox that dnt even work and all they do to help is give u 2 free movies ummhh hello I've been renting from you for a long time and that's all I get seriously not even a im so sorry or my money back from previous charges and my unworking movies , ok but I don't think im guna be renting from redbox anymore.

Customer Rating

The game we just rented (1/18/13) The Amazing Spiderman is so scratched that it is unreadable. I would like to not be charged for this game rental like I have been in the past.

Customer Rating

Yesterday while reviewing my bank statement online I noticed a charge to my account from Redbox Rentals. I have been using their services for many years now and never thought of keeping tabs on my returns but now beware. I called the Company and spoke with a customer service lady Amber and she looked up my rentals. First she said that it was 2 movies that show that weren't returned. "The Devils Own" and " The Greatest Movie Ever Made". I said no to her that I did return them I rent several movies a week.

Then with her research she said "Oh I do show that we now have them ,it was the movie Jane Ere that we don't have I said no I returned that as well. I asked to be put through to a Supervisor and talked with her. She said that she can see by my excellent record that she would credit my checking account back.So the next day which is today Tuesday Oct.11th,2011 I went online to check my bank account balance and noticed that not only my account doesn't reflect the 28.00 in return but now they charged me 50 something on top of the 28.00 from my account.

I called again and asked to speak with a Supervisor her name is Lori. She told me that I owe for the movies that I just mentioned. Yes I was pissed and expressed my self so. She had a too bad so sad attitude about the situation. I asked to speak with her Supervisor and she said that "he doesn't get on the phone with customers!" So now I have nearly 90.00 stolen from my account which I can do nothing about until they take the money from my account then I have to file an complaint action through my bank which is Chase to get my money back from these Crooks. I calculated that I rent over 250 movies from them a year.

NO MORE the buck stops here! So far they show over 170 movies for the year 2011. They I found have many flaws in their rental system. why do they not have their machines print you out a receipt when you rent and one when you return the movie for your safety and records. You cant rely on them sending you a comformation letter receipt on a regular basis. They have lost a VERY GOOD Customer! It's back to Block Buster for me. Hopefully they won't go out of business like the rumors were awhile ago!!!!!!

Customer Rating

I rented two movies from Redbox in September and the movies did not play in my DVD at home. So I returned one of the movies the following day and the other movie two weeks later. when I went to take the movie back the machine would not accept the movie. Here it is two months later and I have been charged for a movie that I feel like Im being accused of keeping and the customer service representative actually accused me of keeping this movie in which I know I did not keep or had a desire to keep. I am very offended by the rep and how he spoke to me about this movie. The customer representative name is Specene.

fist time ever using redbox, i loved it only rented twice, i look at my bank statement that week, it was at -107. WTF? So i call and ask them whats going on, the teller refunded me 3.40. i spoke to a manager and he was the rudest guy ever. he sounded like he didnt care that they were charging me, and all he kept saying was that they already refunded me 3.40... im never renting from there again.

Customer Rating

I rented Step Up Revolution at a local redbox station and the dvd skipped and the picture was broken.I took it back and rented a different disc of the same movie and it does the same exact thing. I have really wanted to see this movie but I don't think its fair for me to have to waste more money trying to find a copy that will work.

There were no scratches on either copy and no finger prints or smudges so it must just be bad copies of the movie. Upset that redbox can't seem to get their DVDs fixed and in working order. I am furious and extremely disappointed with redbox!

Customer Rating

The last time I rented was around January 2013, it is now August 13, Redbox has tried to bill my credit card every day since May for $40 saying it was late fees. I paid for the late fees already, and they continue to try and charge me. I called them about it and they were completely rude to me. They would not listen to anything I had to say and basically blew me off. I had to put a stop payment on my account to make it so they couldn't keep charging me. The representative I talked to with my credit card company said this is ridiculous and she has never seen Redbox do this before. Needless to say I will never rent movies from this company again.

Customer Rating

We just got a blu ray and its damaged so we had to skip threw just to watch PART of the movie that we paid for. I would like to get some free blu rays rentals since I couldn't watch the one I paid for.

I don't like how Redbox allows damaged movies to be recycled through their system, it's frustrating to say the least. In the future if Blu Ray's are scratched or broken they should take them out of circulation and not allow them to be rented by customers.

Customer Rating

I was charged for a reservation when the machine told me no reservation was found for my credit card. I had to re-rent the movies and got charged twice.

Larry Taylor

Customer Rating

I made an online reservations for 2 movies, when I went to pick up the movies, the machine was out of order. I called the 800 number and was told I would not be charged PLUS they were giving me 3 promotional codes for my "inconvenience." The credit never came through and when I called them, I was told I accepted the promo codes in place of a credit "they don't give credits." I was very clear on the phone that I wanted the cc credited. They lied.

Customer Rating

I assume when I write my zip code as the area I live in the only options coming up for holding the video will be in that zip code area.not out of state or . I have put on hold several movies that turned to be out of state. . I know I have some responsibility to look but just assume it will be in my area as Would it be possible for redbox to only put dvd's in the zip code area I've put in..

Customer Rating

I rented two movies from Redbox to play on my DVD player that's not hooked to anything online. One move played fine the other kept freezing in spots I took the movie out and cleaned it but still not working. After calling Redbox customer service they were all hard to understand due to heavy accents, then they kept putting me on hold saying they were "testing from our side". After 16 min's and three different agents (the 1st hung up on me) I finally asked for a supervisor witch he quickly said " I am the senior rep, ma’am". I never got my issue resolved after asking for the same movie again. One agent even told me that I was being charged $10 per minute to speak with him, so apparently they have no QA department that monitors their work. I have replied "stop" to their text messages and will not get another movie. I will be praying for this company they have to know how bad this customer service is and don't seem to care. Shame on the owners (Coinstar) of Redbox, this is why we are seeing less and less of them. My suggestion leave the Redbox alone!!!!!!

Customer Rating

For the second time in two months, my husband has had to cancel his debit card due to fraudulent charges from redbox. In December I found a $78.36 charge for rebox DVD rental pending in our bank account. Neither my husband or I had even rented a movie. After contacting our bank we learned that my husband's debit card number had been entered manually at redbox headquarters, call center, (whatever the place is called). Our bank could only go back 60 days but we were credited over $261.00 in fraudulent charges. Today, two weeks after the first card was cancelled due to this problem, there was another charge from redbox pending in our account. I immediately contacted our bank's fraud department and once again found out the charge came from manually entering my husband's debit card number. This card had just been activated a week ago! I highly recommend anyone who has seen even small charges, (a dollar here, three dollars there, etc.) that they are unfamiliar with, contact your bank. Please remove any credit or debit cards linked to redbox via your online account as well. If this company can make hundreds of dollars off of one person within 60 days, just think of the total amount fraudulently obtained by countless others!

Customer Rating

I rented a movie today called August-Osage County at Redbox only to come home to find another scratched DVD. If Redbox wants to continue to get my business they need to do a better job of QA and checking the movies for errors, maybe even swap them out on a regular basis or work with customers to find the places that have the most problems. I take care of my movies, but maybe they should scan them for errors on the way in to the machine? Just a thought.

Their (red box) customer service is VERY RUDE

FALSE CHARGES
DOUBLE CHARGES

STAY AWAY

Customer Rating

I just purchased a redbox movie in hopes to go home and stay occupied while I was home with no cable or internet connection. As I open the movie I realize it was a blu-ray and I can no longer watch it. I am very unsatisfied only because blu-ray simply was not listed for this specific movie. In regards to Redbox at Hannaford Super Market in Hooksett, NH at 2140 hours.

Customer Rating

Rainy days are great for watching movies. Too bad your screens don’t work in the rain…

Disclaimer: This complaint was submitted by Arturo Guerra on 03/16/2014 at IP address 97.81.198.43 using our Redbox complaint form. This opinions contained in this Redbox customer review titled, “Rain” do not reflect the opinions of this website.

Customer Rating

After having rented and returned movies multiple times now I have noticed on multiple occasions that after I receive the charge for the movies another charge shows up in my bank account for more money, but I have no rented more movies. I tried to call the 800 number but got left on hold for 45 minutes!

Customer Rating

After a long rainy day on a motorcycle benefit ride I reserved movie at the red box at dollar general on hwy 24 in Anderson sc. Not only could I not retrieve my movies that I have already payed for but I get soaking wet trying to get them! This is not convient in any way! Need to figure out how to use the kiosk in the rain! Very aggravating and inconvient!

Companies Like Redbox