Customer Service Rating
1.99 out of 5 Stars
Based on 78 Votes

Redbox Complaints

send your feedback directly to the corporate office

Redbox is a LLC automated outlet for retail rentals of DVD, Blue-ray and video games. As of November 2012 there were 42,000kiosks and 34,000 locations owned by Redbox. Revenues in 2014 were reported over US 1.5 billion and employees number at least 500 and increase seasonally.

If you experience a problem at a Redbox or with a Redbox product you may call 1-866-733-2693 or view this site for customer F&Q and contact information. For basic Redbox facts you may view this page. If you would like to contact the CEO of Redbox you may address your correspondence to Gregg Kaplan at 1 Tower Lane, Suite 2100, Oakbrook Terrace, IL 60187. You may also call the corporate office at 630-756-8000.

Gregg Kaplan is also the founder of Redbox and he founded it in 2002.  After agreeing to their TERMS innovative texting services are as follows: Text NEW to 727272 to obtain latest Redbox releases each week. Text SIGNUP to 727272 to obtain exclusive offers.  Social media presence may be found on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.

Is Redbox ripping you off?

File your complaint here first!

Redbox Contact Information

The best way to reach a live person fast
  • Corporate headquarters address

1-866-733-2693

• Hours of operation

9am-5pm PST

Top 78 Redbox Customer Service Reviews

Recent consumer ratings and reviews submitted online

I rented two movies today. One of them wasnt even recognized. The blu ray player is an xbox one, and i made sure the movie was a blue ray. This isnt the first time that this has happened to me. I am seriously thinking about going back to netflix. Northlake blvd and u.s. 1 location in Palm Beach County.

Comment (0)

6/7/2016 Very deceptive; I would not have rented Anomalis had netflix properly describe the cartoon/CGI as just that. The picture displayed on the kiosk screen was so small and unclear that one would find it near impossible to deduce that the characters of Anomalis were dummies! This is not the first time that netflix has put one over us. Shame on you.

Comment (0)

Reserved two pickups to a certain redbox location when I got there I couldn't get my card to pickup my reserve so I'm sure I'll get charged for it.

Comment (0)

I rented two Ps4 Games and just for one game its taking a half a day to load up and my games are due back tomorrow, I'm very frustrated and have learned my lesson about renting games you cant enjoying playing them if its taking all day to download, so my question is can I get a refund on my Redbox rental and just be done, I know now I can just rent movies at least you don't have to wait for those to download.

Comment (0)

I rented a game for my grandson. My daughter said she took it back, but i guess she didn't. I was charged 73 dollars for this game... how can i return to get my money back? I called the Redbox support number already, what else am I supposed to do?

Comment (2)

The commercial began freezing playing and freezing playing and freezing so I fast forwarded to the beginning of the movie. The movie played fine for about 5 minutes million minutes and then it froze and it would not fast forward or go back. The movie was call Goosebumps I was not able to watch the movie so I am hoping I can rent it again free of charge.

Comment (0)

I rented two movies the first one I watched Fantastic Four was great but The second AntMan the whole move is messed up, it kept skipping through and then freezing, Very hard to watch so I would like to get another copy to watch since I could not watch this one.

Comment (0)

Rented a copy of Ted 2. Playing on a NEW Samsung blue ray player and getting a message, with muted audio.

Comment (0)

I rented the movie heist it skipped all the way though chapter 12 and 14 and started playing at the end it messed the whole how he did it up. If this is the way Redbox is going to work than forget it.

Comment (0)

I rented a movie and the redbox unit was down. No movie for me and no response when I called the customer service phone number on the side of the machine.

Comment (0)

I checked the 5 movies I rented out after 9:30 PM. The next night I had to drive to five different locations to return 3 of the disks I rented. The 3 were returned by 9:15 specifically because every box I went to for 45 mins was full and couldn't take any more disks. 3 disks I had for just short of 24 hours. The next 2 disks I had to wait to return until the next business day in the evening. I had to go to 2 locations to find a box that had room for them. I returned them both right at 9 PM. They charged me for a full three days rental on all 5 movies.

1 movie wasn't even watchable because the soundtrack didn't match what was going on in the movie by about 15 seconds. I will never rent from redbox again. I could have bought on iTunes to own 2 & 1/2 of the movies I rented for what they ended up charging me.

Comment (0)

We rented The Hunger Games; Mockingjay and it stop and skipped and stopped and. From 40 minutes on. Now that sucks. What can we do to get satisfaction on this?

Comment (0)

I rented a Redbox dvd and did not return it back on time. I returned the dvd and 4 days later I was charged $21.11 for purchase of a dvd. If Redbox charges me for a dvd then give me the dvd. Think about it, you charge me for purchase of a dvd and you have the dvd and my money. This is totally illegal. How can I contact the Redbox corporate team to tell them of this problem? I am sure other customers have the same challenge.

Comment (0)

We rented Mall Cop 2 today and when we started watching it it started skipping, we had to fast forward (missing a lot of the movie). Then toward the end it started skipping again! Stopped completely! I am a very unsatisfied customer. I want my money reimbursed back to my debit card. We ejected the movie and the disc had scratches on it.

Comment (0)

I went to rent a game I swiped my card 2 times and Redbox said try again I got charged 2 times but no game I am highly upset. I would like someone to contact me soon from Redbox customer support and fix this problem with free game rentals and my money back. I called the Redbox complaint hotline but the lady was rude and didn't help

Comment (0)

I got 2 movies at night time and returned them the next day. Redbox charged me for both the movies for 2 nights. I only had them for one. It was a problem and so I tried to contact Redbox on Twitter and Facebook but was ignored. Then, I called customer support and got put on hold. It was only a simple problem, but not I cannot fix it. It should not be this difficult!

Comment (0)

We live on the north east side of guthrie oklahoma so does my son and family. We would rent more movies if there was a red box on this side of town!! There is 3 redbox in guthrie ok. One at mcdonalds one right next door at Walgreens and one across the street at walmart! Now how stupid is that?? On our side of town is the i35 exit with four big hotels lots of restraints and 3 big truck stops!! And lots of housing behind those....please put a red box in! Or I am going to have to give in to my husband and get a bunch of movie channels!

Comment (0)

I rented a movie from RedBox at the beach (3 hours away). When coming home, my wife packed the movie sleeve and mistakenly left the movie in the DVD player. We realized this when we got home and tried to return the movie. I contacted Redbox today to see how it would be handled. I was told that I cannot return an empty movie sleeve nor can my realtor return a DVD without a sleeve. Redbox said I own the movie for $26. FYI - With a similar issue, Netflix eats the cost.

Comment (0)

I rented a blue-ray disc on Wednesday 4/22/15 and returned it on Friday 4/24/15. They are saying I did not return the disc and charged me $36 for the disc. They are saying that their system does not show it being rented since I rented it, and that is how they determine if the disc has been returned. But couldn't something go wrong with their machine? What if it did not register the disc properly? They would not take my word for it that something obviously malfunctioned. I will NEVER rent from Redbox again.

Comment (0)

I rented two movies from redbox and the first movie was fine and the second one would not play!!! I was planning on some me time as I'm off tomorrow but I guess I'll go to bed.

Comment (0)

I rented the Night at the museum on 5/3 and the disc was corrupted not able to view at all. I want my money back!

Comment (0)

Rented a game that would not play. So I took it back got another and it would not play. Out 6 dollar's in one hour and still nothing to play.

Comment (0)

I went to the first Redbox location at thr fresh market on 5600 S 900 E SLC UT and i pressed the rent button on the screen and nothing happened, so i kept pressing it and it wouldn't do anything, so i moved over to the next machine and it did the same thing. So I drove over to the 5600 S 900 E 7-eleven location and it did the same thing. I wanted to rent a movie? So what's going on with broken Redbox machines.

Comment (0)

Became a new member on 12 Apr 2015. Almost immediately I started receiving unsolicited e-mails. According to your policy, you do not give out information. This can not be true. Up to today, I was receiving 1-3 e-mails a day. Today alone I have received over 20. The only thing that has changed is becoming a Redbox member. I have went to my e-mail options and unchecked all the boxes. Can not figure out what else to do. Next step is to cancel the account if the e-mails do not stop.

Comment (0)

So here it sit again, just rented 2 much anticipated movies from Redbox, got my snacks and drinks and here we go. And..... skip, skip, skip, skip,skip, skip, skip, skip..... You get the idea!! Do you not check your inventory for damaged discs or do you just not care? This isn't the first time this has happened and I should know better, but it's like a bad habit and keep thinking maybe this time will be different.I have no idea what is going on with this story, skip, skip, skip. You have one thing to do right and that is to supply fans of movies with one thing, a great movie experience. You can't even do that right. Redbox, Bye girl!!

Comment (0)

Recently, I rented Gone Girl on blu ray at Redbox closest to my house on April 8 th at 4 pm . The video has scratches and stopped multiple times. I was unable to finish the movie due to the multiple skips. I need another credit on my account and want my money back. Then re-rented another video and this one skips too. I am not going to use Redbox anymore due to the scratchy discs that make it impossible to watch the movie.

Comment (0)

I rented two movies yesterday. I rented Interstellar and Divergent, both were the blue-Ray copies. I was able to watch Interstellar with no problems. However, the movie Divergent would not play. I wasted $2.00 and I would appreciate being given a credit for that movie. Thank you!

Comment (0)

Loved Redbox at $1 for a rental but not so happy with the rate hikes. Moving on to Netflix rentals instead now that they have increased prices. Wish someone would contact their executives and let them know they are screwed.

Comment (0)

Watching intersteller on Redbox and it keeps skipping sections! I wish that their movies were of higher quality but it sucks sometimes Redbox.

Comment (2)

I rented Big Hero 6 at your kiosk in the Cumberland Farms Gas Station on bonston post road, orange, ct. I'm disappointed at the quality of the DVD, it was scratched up that it would freeze and skip every few minutes. It was irritating and unsatisfactory. I hope you guys could somehow check up on the DVDs in stock to make sure that they are in working condition.

Comment (1)

Only had the movie our for 5 days and was charged $19. This is ridiculous considering that is 3.80 a night. Certainly not right!!!

Comment (0)

I wanted to reserve two movies today and you said I had to change my password. I am 68 years old just learned how to reserve this year and I Loved it. Now you have made the password so hard I could not get on and even if I could I wood never remember it. Why do you have to make it so hard? I had to cancel my movies this morning because I could not get on site. This is the first time I have been unhappy with you all the years I have been using Red Box .

Comment (0)

This is like the 4th time this has happened I rented a movie last night "The best of me". The movie froze 5 minutes into watching and I couldn't get it to work. I'm very upset as I work for my money.

Comment (0)

i rent 5 movies on a friday night. i return 3 movies on saturday afternoon. return the other 2 movies on tuesday and redbox charges me me $14 dollars out of my credit card. i dont know why. there is no phone number to call them.

Comment (0)

The selection of kids movies are poor and you need more choice. I tried to find lion king 2 and nothing came up you only have 6 disney movies. You need more selection of movies because people are not getting there money's worth. Disappointed

Comment (0)

Redbox machine where I'm supposed to return film (due today) won't accept the film. Says' error' even though I have done everything I"m supposed to. I then went to another machine, about a block away, same thing happened. Then tried called their free phone # and find it's not working and for only $2.99 I can connected to ??? I didn't do it. Meanwhile, my film is outstanding for return, Redbox has my credit card # (not good at all) and I have a film I don't want.

Comment (0)

I believe this is the third movie in a row I've gotten that is scratched beyond forwarding. Unable to follow a story line due to skipping or freezing an already tiring user, should Blockbuster still be more available I would have already resigned using your services. I'll continue buying and trading bought movies. Check your inventory more often. This movie had not been out long enough for this...

Comment (0)

This morning I looked at my account online and saw a hold for 53.09. I called Redbox and after about 15-20 minutes she was finally able to find a charge, with my first name (different last name) and the last 4 digits of my account number. I explained that the Redbox she says my card was used at was 10 miles away from where I lived. She advised that I needed to contact my back. I contacted my bank and together we called Redbox customer service back the gentleman I spoke to was SO RUDE! He said the charge was valid and that I would need to contact my bank.

He says the charge was in my name, I explained that the lady I had spoken to earlier said the charge was under a different last name...did she change to make it look like a valid charge? I am so upset. I don't have the money to waste on a charge in did not accrue!!! Now I have to wait 7 business days to dispute this through my bank. In the meantime...I will be short on my bills. I am so upset and want this rectified as soon as possible.

Comment (0)

On 2 separate occasions I rented 2 DVD's and they did not work The movies I rented was: Creep Van Diary of a cheating woman I was wondering am not entitled to credit for these 2 movies. I really enjoy using Redbox and as cheap as it is, I still have NO money to give away. Terrible customer service from Redbox.

Comment (0)

I made an online reservation with a credit card for 3 movies. I went to the location, with cc in hand, to get the movies and the error message stated that my card didn't match the reservation. I tried the card various ways to make sure I was swiping the cc right. I went back to my car to get another credit card & got the same movies as my reservation. When I got home to cancel the reservation, the website listed I couldn't cancel the reservation. I will be charged on a credit card $3,85 for 3 movies that earlier the box location stated the card didn't match the reservation.

I guess I don't understand when I am not making a mistake in the usage of your system for your product, why should I not be able to cancel a reservation. I should at least be told that I can not cancel an online reservation to remind me never to do an online reservation again. This is the second time this has happened to me. It may not seem like a lot of money but I am a college student away from home on Thanksgiving and I thought I'd treat myself today. It's really disappointing.

Comment (0)

I haven't had cable for about 9 months now, so I have spent a lot of money renting movies. Lately about 75 percent of the DVDs I rent from Redbox will not play due to the amount of scratches on the DVDs. It's extremely frustrating to get home and pop in a movie just for it to say "error." I think that you should have a button on the kiosk when you return the movie that you can push telling that that DVD did not work, so that someone can come replace it. I rented 3 DVDs today and only one worked. As I said before this is not the first time this had happened. I will soon be switching to renting from the blockbuster kiosks if no one replies to this email and let's me know that this problem is being taken care of.

Comment (0)

I rented Step Up Revolution tonight & it skips the whole time. It's not dirty. It's not scratched. I've read other posts about this movie not working. I think it's just a bad copy..?? Do I get a credit or a free rental? My husban is returning it now & getting something else. We rent almost every day & have not had this problem before.

Comment (0)

I purchased the Reebok Crossfit Nano about 2 months ago. During this time I have had 2 toe nails turn completely green! They are literally the color of my green/purple sneakers! The dye has gone into my toe nails and can not be removed regardless of what I do. I would like either a credit or some sort of compensation for this.

Comment (0)

The game we just rented (1/18/13) The Amazing Spiderman is so scratched that it is unreadable. I would like to not be charged for this game rental like I have been in the past.

Comment (0)

Hi I wanted to post a complaint about redbox because I frankly think its messed up of them to over charge me for movies n then have movies in redbox that dnt even work and all they do to help is give u 2 free movies ummhh hello I've been renting from you for a long time and that's all I get seriously not even a im so sorry or my money back from previous charges and my unworking movies , ok but I don't think im guna be renting from redbox anymore.

Comment (0)

I rented two movies from Redbox in September and the movies did not play in my DVD at home. So I returned one of the movies the following day and the other movie two weeks later. when I went to take the movie back the machine would not accept the movie. Here it is two months later and I have been charged for a movie that I feel like Im being accused of keeping and the customer service representative actually accused me of keeping this movie in which I know I did not keep or had a desire to keep. I am very offended by the rep and how he spoke to me about this movie. The customer representative name is Specene.

fist time ever using redbox, i loved it only rented twice, i look at my bank statement that week, it was at -107. WTF? So i call and ask them whats going on, the teller refunded me 3.40. i spoke to a manager and he was the rudest guy ever. he sounded like he didnt care that they were charging me, and all he kept saying was that they already refunded me 3.40... im never renting from there again.

Comment (0)

Yesterday while reviewing my bank statement online I noticed a charge to my account from Redbox Rentals. I have been using their services for many years now and never thought of keeping tabs on my returns but now beware. I called the Company and spoke with a customer service lady Amber and she looked up my rentals. First she said that it was 2 movies that show that weren't returned. "The Devils Own" and " The Greatest Movie Ever Made". I said no to her that I did return them I rent several movies a week.

Then with her research she said "Oh I do show that we now have them ,it was the movie Jane Ere that we don't have I said no I returned that as well. I asked to be put through to a Supervisor and talked with her. She said that she can see by my excellent record that she would credit my checking account back.So the next day which is today Tuesday Oct.11th,2011 I went online to check my bank account balance and noticed that not only my account doesn't reflect the 28.00 in return but now they charged me 50 something on top of the 28.00 from my account.

I called again and asked to speak with a Supervisor her name is Lori. She told me that I owe for the movies that I just mentioned. Yes I was pissed and expressed my self so. She had a too bad so sad attitude about the situation. I asked to speak with her Supervisor and she said that "he doesn't get on the phone with customers!" So now I have nearly 90.00 stolen from my account which I can do nothing about until they take the money from my account then I have to file an complaint action through my bank which is Chase to get my money back from these Crooks. I calculated that I rent over 250 movies from them a year.

NO MORE the buck stops here! So far they show over 170 movies for the year 2011. They I found have many flaws in their rental system. why do they not have their machines print you out a receipt when you rent and one when you return the movie for your safety and records. You cant rely on them sending you a comformation letter receipt on a regular basis. They have lost a VERY GOOD Customer! It's back to Block Buster for me. Hopefully they won't go out of business like the rumors were awhile ago!!!!!!

Comment (0)

The last time I rented was around January 2013, it is now August 13, Redbox has tried to bill my credit card every day since May for $40 saying it was late fees. I paid for the late fees already, and they continue to try and charge me. I called them about it and they were completely rude to me. They would not listen to anything I had to say and basically blew me off. I had to put a stop payment on my account to make it so they couldn't keep charging me. The representative I talked to with my credit card company said this is ridiculous and she has never seen Redbox do this before. Needless to say I will never rent movies from this company again.

Comment (0)

I rented Step Up Revolution at a local redbox station and the dvd skipped and the picture was broken.I took it back and rented a different disc of the same movie and it does the same exact thing. I have really wanted to see this movie but I don't think its fair for me to have to waste more money trying to find a copy that will work.

There were no scratches on either copy and no finger prints or smudges so it must just be bad copies of the movie. Upset that redbox can't seem to get their DVDs fixed and in working order. I am furious and extremely disappointed with redbox!

Comment (0)

We just got a blu ray and its damaged so we had to skip threw just to watch PART of the movie that we paid for. I would like to get some free blu rays rentals since I couldn't watch the one I paid for.

I don't like how Redbox allows damaged movies to be recycled through their system, it's frustrating to say the least. In the future if Blu Ray's are scratched or broken they should take them out of circulation and not allow them to be rented by customers.

Comment (3)

Browse reviews of other Television Streaming

Have feedback for Redbox?