8 Kia Consumer Reviews that Will Shock You

We see a lot of Kia customer service complaints and reviews. But none like these. The following customers were so angry, so upset, and so mistreated that they went online and filed a complaint on the service department of our website.

1. No help from the service department
I am a returning customer to this lot. When I returned the New vehicle and asked for my old kia back I requested they check my brake lights. They immediately took a defensive standpoint and said let me get the manager. I explained to him I didn't imply Jessica or Big Red broke my brake lights I only wanted them checked because when she drove in they didn't come on. Jessica said "well I didn't use the brakes how do you know they didn't come on".

I them again said I wanted them checked to see what the cause was. I believe this could have been the least they could've done for all the hassle they put me thru. But no, I would have to pay for a diagnostic check. I informed them I could have it done for free at auto zone, I just thought since I was there. I don't recommend Big Red Sports and Imports in Norman to anyone looking for a new or used vehicle and being a returning customer has no value there.

2. Scammed by Kia sales members
I don't really have a complaint about the car. I'm upset because this is the 3rd Kia Soul that I've brought. I brought the more expensive one this time and it doesn't have a cd player in it. I  wasn't really paying attention when I brought it. But the sales men took my cd that I eft in the other soul and gave it to me. I think he should of told me this one doesn't have one. I didn't know until I got it home. I'm 60 years old and don't know how to down load music nor should i have to learn.

You need to put cd players back in your cars or have it as a option.If i didn't like the car so much i would of taken it back the same day. I listen to my CDs all the time, now I can't. And you  can't put one in. So please think about the older people who by these cars too.

3. Glitches with financing department and permanent tags
On December 4, 2015,  I purchased a Kia Optima from Nalley Kia at Stonecrest Mall in Lithonia, Ga.  As of January 19th, I am still waiting on my permanent tag to drive the vehicle. I called the person who handled my financing and was told there was a glitch with the tag and I should have it after 5pm on January 19th and either come in and pick it up or it will reach my home by Wednesday, January 20th. I elected to pick it up at the dealership.

Needless to say after arriving there to pickup the tag it wasn't there and no one could tell me why. I immediately called the finance office and spoke with same gentlemen I did the day before. I asked for a new dealers tag so that we wouldn't get stopped by the police and ticketed; I am absolutely applauded the best they could do was offer me free gas for the wasted trip.

Are you freaking kidding me. You didn't compromise when I was writing that check for the down payment or when I was signing on the dotted line.  I am simply perplexed at how they are comfortable putting me at risk and not offering me another tag for a mistake they have made. They have yet to explain to me why it's taking this length of time to get my tag and gas. Well I can tell you where to put that.  I have bought 4 cars in the past 4 years and I have never been more upset and disrespected than my deal with Kia.  I will never shop with them again.

4. Kia Sportage warranty not being honored
I bought my 2009 Kia Sportage six years ago brand new.  I have maintained my Sportage and made sure that I take it in for the maintenance it needed.  Recently, my Sportage wouldn't start.  I have to have it towed to the dealer so that they can do a diagnosis to determine the problem.  I was told that I need a new engine so I called Kia consumers to see if I was still covered under the powertrain warranty I was told that I am.  Now I have had my Sportage for six years and have only 78,489 miles on it and Kia consumers turned down the request to replace my engine because the dealer told them that I neglected repairs on my Sportage because I didn't bring my Sportage in within the three months of the last service I had.

On the window decal for my next oil change was 79,991 miles, now I currently have 78,489 miles on my Sportage and they putting me at fault because there is sludge in my oil.  How am I to know if they really gave me an oil change during my last visit.  I originally took my Sportage in because my temperature light kept coming on and they told me they couldn't find anything.

Now, I had to pay to have my Sportage towed from the dealer to my home but when the tow truck driver got to the dealership (Kia Atlanta South) they refused to give the driver my vehicle and told them that they had to come back in 30 minutes.  There was another driver dispatched to and pick up my Sportage.  So the tow truck driver called the dealership to see if it was cleared to pick up my Sportage.  The tow truck driver called me back and told me that the service department had closed and everyone was gone.

I have lost towing fees because of this and this morning I called Kia roadside assistance for another tow and again I had to pay because my first tow was incomplete.  I am so disappointed in Kia consumers and Kia Atlanta South.  The consumers should have the right to have their warranties honored without question and I hope something will be done about this.

5. Leasing from Kia is a total scam
I called KIA lease end during the first week of November 2015. I called to find out what cost I would be responsible for, for turning in my KI Optima four months early. I was informed on the telephone that I would be responsible for the four months I owed on the lease, and the extra milage and damages. I figured at the most $1500 dollars.

On January 13, 2016 I received a bill for $5,781.37. When I called, I was first told the amount of the bill  was for the overage of miles and some damages. I informed the person from KIA Motors Finance and recovery that I had an extended wear protection plan, which would have taken care of the damages. I was then informed that  they would put the $5,781.37 in for review. A week later when I called up to check the status of the review, I was informed that the amount is what it is.

When I asked why, I was informed by a very rude person named Tiffany, that I was not charged for the damages, but when KIA  sold the car at auction, they received $5,453.38 dollars less then the vehicle was worth at auction. I was informed I was responsible for the lost amount. I did advise Tiffany that this information was never mentioned to me by  KIA lease end.I have been trying to dispute the amount and they wont listen. If I had kept the car for the four months, I would only have had to pay $400.00 dollars at the end of the lease.

6. My new Kia smelled like garbage
I got a 2015 kia optima hybrid on December 31, 2015. As I was heading home, I noticed a smell like a dead animal, I turned around and headed back to kia. They closed early that day due to New Years.

When I got home I told my husband about the smell. I did have a garbage bag on the front floor with stuff from my old cars glove box and trunk, my husband said that could of made the smell. The following week still had smell but still had bag on front floor. Third week of having the car, the smell was still there but this time I had already got rid of the bag, so took the car in to kia to the service, they found mouse droppings in one of the filters. 2 weeks after that I had the car back in due to the same nasty dead animal smell.

They bombed the car. Still have the smell, last week I contacted kia to find out what to do. The smell is nasty and makes me instantly sick to my stomach to where I have to roll the window at least half way down and not turn heat up. They were going to have the service manager contact me. It's almost a week later and I had to contact them again. This time the service manager contacted me back. The next step would be to tear apart the dashboard to see if the dead animal is under there some where but as soon as that happens the factory warranty becomes garbage.

I have had the car for roughly 2 in a half months, the car has around 1200 miles on it. I would like something to be done about my situation, I'm pissed off, I feel like they don't care, I don't feel that I should loose the factory warranty due to this. I feel that kia is responsible to make this right. The smell came with the car when first got it and I'm getting fed up with the bull that I've dealt with from the beginning.

7. Keyless entry not working with battery
I went to Sunset Kia in Bradenton, FL because one of my Keyless  device was not working after I replaced the battery. The  parts department manager (Mr. Cendere) said the battery (new battery) was probably no good. After replacing the battery with a new one, it still didn't work. After Mr. Cendere carefully inspected the keyless device, he asked how long I've had the car, 2 years I responded.

Mr. Cendere proceeded to tell me that the device look like it had been washed in the washing machine. I responded: I have never used this keyless device and this device was given to me when I purchased the car. Mr. Cendere left and returned, only to tell me that the device was under no warranty and Kia is not responsible. I asked to speak with the Manager. Mr. Cendere turned around and hurry to a counter, leaving me behind, where I assume the Manager was and was found talking with one guy who said he could get me a key, but I had to pay to get it program.

Why, I asked? The keyless device had to be corroded when  it was given to me at the sale of the car. He responded by saying, "I'm being nice.". Then I said, I don't need nice. I later found out he was the general sales manager, Mike Cestaro and the other guy standing next to him was the General Manager,  Nick Salerno, who said nothing.However, Linda Casey was very helpful, suggested I clean the device with alcohol and apologize for the inconvenience. She also said the keyless device battery had exploded and caused the corrosion.

She is the only one that offer good customer service and possible solution to the problem. I not happy with the results, I will never buy from Sunset Kia again in Bradenton, Fl.

8. Deceptive sales practices when buying my new car
I was in the Franklin dealership Saturday to test drive a car (Keeping it Awesome is on all of their cars) and dealt with Ross Abdullah when I decided to possibly buy a Kia Sportage. Even though I expressed to him and to Jonathan Underwood that I was only in to test drive he kept coming back to me with pricing. I felt pressured which is not Awesome. The deal he gave me I could have gotten at any Kia dealership because it was no more than the true car price which I kept insisting on.  That is not Awesome.

The 1500 rebate was reduced to 700 when I was told I had to buy the gap coverage. Found out later I did not have to buy it. I told him I had already talked to my credit union and could get an interest rate of 1.99 and did not want anything higher than that. First of all, he said he couldn’t give me the incentive unless I spread the loan out over 72 months – I thought that sounded wrong but went with it knowing I could pay it off quicker.

Second of all when I told him I didn’t want to pay more than 1.99 or would wait until I got the loan from my credit union he said ‘you will get the lowest you qualify for which I’m sure will be that or lower with your credit rating.’ The loan came back at 4.9 – when I looked at this at the dealership I thought it said 1.9. It wasn’t until I got home to my glasses that I realized this.

I was furious and texted Jonathan immediately telling him I was returning the car. Ross called me and told me I could not return the car, it was now a used car because I had driven it off the lot. He offered no help at all and quite frankly was offensive. Not at all awesome.

Let me tell you what Awesome is. My girlfriend bought a car across the street from you at the Buick GMC dealership.  After two weeks, she decided she did not like it. They let her bring it in and choose another car. Not only that, they called her and encouraged her to do so. As I told Ross, I will tell everyone I know of my experience and warn them against buying a car at Franklin Kia.

1 (800) 333-4542
P.O. Box 52410 Irvine, CA 92619-2410

Comment:

I have written a complaint and not sure if you received. My complaint was we bought a 2004 KIA Sorento from an individual in Feb. 2015, we have taken it to KIA of Muncie, IN for every oil change since purchasing, after the last oil change the next day it started making a loud noise, we called KIA and were told to bring in, they said they didn't really have time to check completely but they thought it was under the right head and it would run $4500 to replace the engine for $3,000 not including installation.

We were shocked. We had to make another appointment so they could check further, we made the 1st appointment we could get some answers, we waited all morning, no call, we finally called about 3 and were told they hadn't had time to look at it, they called right before closing and said it would be $6,000 for a new engine or $7,000 to fix with parts, we said we'd come pick it up and they said it wasn't put back together and they were leaving for the day and we would have to wait until the next day. W

e have checked around and discovered that this isn't the 1st time this has happened to someone. A lady said they did this to her car also and luckily she was able to get an extended warranty from a Toyota dealership and it covered the cost of repairs, we also we told from a friend that a relative of his worked at KIA of Muncie and he said KIA Sorento's were known for doing this.

Really, It seems pretty strange to us that you drive a vehicle in for an oil change and the next day you need a new engine. I know KIA of Muncie would never admit they put the wrong oil in it, but we believe this is what happened. If we had know KIA Sorento's were known for this we would of never purchased, I have a friend that drives a KIA minivan and it has over 600,000 miles on it and is going strong, she has only had to have work done on the air conditioner and tires replaced on it, which is why we felt KIA's were good vehicles.

I would like KIA to step up to the plate and make this right, I honestly feel they are at fault and we are expected to pay the price, we cannot affort to put $6,000 in a car that is not worth that amount. We need your help, please, please do something about this, we have been told we should talk to our attorney, but we really don't want to go to that extreme we are hoping you will make this right. Thank you for any consideration on this matter.

Comment:

I submitted the below communication with the local dealer, Napelton's Kia in Elgin Il 60120, but also wanted to make sure that corporate was also informed.

I have a couple of complaints.  I made an appointment online Thursday night, 1/7, for a 9:00 oil change on Saturday 1/9.  I arrive 10 minutes early and started talking to the service advisor, John Thomas, and he could not find my appointment.  I was told it could be up to 2 hours for my oil change to be completed.  I told John that I have another appointment at 11:00 and hope to be able to make it there on time.

Mr. Thomas came up and got me so we could finish up the paperwork and I was able to leave , but not until 11:00, and not able to make my next appointment on time.  I have never had it take 2 hours for an oil change and to also have a rear wiper replaced.  Mr. Thomas was talking to me about some items the mechanic found that I need to repair. After I got home I was looking over the receipt and it showed I needed all the belts replaced.

I found an invoice from a service in July 2014 where all the belts were replaced with 61,600 miles on the vehicle.  I now have 73,600 miles and if all of these belts are bad in just 12,000 miles then these were defective to start with, they were never changed in July 2014 and I was charged for them, or you are trying to make us replace them when they do not really need to be.

I am very disappointed in Kia right now and a we have a couple of family members that also have Kia's.  I will make sure to tell them about my experience so that they are aware of your business practices.

Comment:

On January 1, 2016 I was driving home from Philadelphia on the Ohio turnpike when all of the sudden the lights on my dashboard lit up.  I drove to a rest stop to turn my car off to see if it was a computer glitch.  After letting the car sit for 15-20 minutes, I tried to leave.  At this point, all the lights stayed on and my power steering went out. Being over 300 miles away from home I called the Kia assistance to see what could be done.

The woman I spoke with would not listen to me and kept trying to give me instructions on how to fix a locked steering wheel.  I explain over and over again that the steering wheel was not locked, it was the power steering.  After comments like “listen! Listen to me before you do anything!”  And “Well, can’t you just drive it anyway?”  She finally told me to go find a nice looking gentleman and ask for his help. I was so appalled by a woman telling another woman to go find a “nice looking gentleman” I hung up the phone and drove the 300+ miles back to my house.

On January 2, 2016 I called the Kia dealership in Findlay, Ohio and told them what was wrong.  They told me to bring in the car, but they did not have a loaner car available for me until Monday since they gave them all out for the long weekend on Friday.  I borrowed my grandpa’s truck so I could go to work Sunday and Monday.  Monday morning I called and asked when I could come to get a loaner car.  I was again told they did not have any available.  After complaining and talking to many different people I was finally given a car.  A few days later I was called asking who installed my cruise control for me.

When I bought the car, brand new, back in 2014, I had Kia install the cruise control as part of my contract.  I explained this to them and they told me they did not have any record of Kia doing the cruise control.  After investigating more, I received another call stating that the place that does the cruise control for Kia operates on a 40,000 mile warranty and at the time, my car had 47,000.  I told Kia that I have a 100,000 mile warranty through the Kia dealership and they should cover the cost of the replacement.

On January 8, 2016 I got a call that my car was fixed.  They explained to me that the battery terminal was loose and they fixed that.  They also said I had a faulty cruise control, but it was replaced as well.  I picked up my car and drove from the Kia dealership and got about halfway home (10 miles) before the lights and power steering went out again.  I immediately turned around and went back to the dealership.

They put me back into the loaner car and I did not hear from them again until February 16, 2016.  Kia informed me that JB Customs, the place the cruise control was initially installed at, would not look at the car again since they put a brand new system in it last time around.  Kia took the car to another place to get the cruise control looked at.  Finally, they told me the wires were spliced from JB Customs and that was causing the issue to continue to happen.  The new shop replaced the cruise control system and wires and the car was returned to me.

On March 27, 2016 I started my car to go to work and the lights came on and the power steering went out again.  It was a Sunday, so the next morning I called the dealership again and was told to bring the car in.  I dropped the car off and did not hear from them until April 4, 2016 when I went there to pick something up out of my car.   They told me they drove it for over 150 miles and could not find anything wrong with it, and suggested it was a malfunction and I take it home.  When I got into my car to leave, there was almost no gas in my car, my ‘Mile to Empty’ was flashing.  I asked them to put a little gas in there since I returned the loaner car with over a half tank.  When they got back from filling up my car, I got in and turned out of the parking lot and the traction control light came on.

I drove around the block then back to the dealership to show them the light that was not going off.  After looking at my car for a while, they told me it failed the traction test before and the light never came on.  The mechanic told me it passed the test and the light went off.  After waiting another 45 minutes I finally got my car and left.  As of today, April 4, 2016, my car is still not fixed properly.  I have the car in my possession, and will be taking it back to the dealership if/when the problem happens again.  I am very dissatisfied with the service I have received from the Kia dealership in Findlay, Ohio!