Dell Inspiron Duo Tablet Laptop Problems

I have been having issues with a Dell Inspiron duo since receiving it about two months ago. They promote it as a great mini laptop and a great tablet. It is neither. Having previously owned/used a Dell mini netbook, I was completely thrown by how poor a product really is. When contacted by Dell to sell me an extended warranty, the sales rep said I really should contact tech support, that my complaints must be an isolated issue. I did so, any spend several hours with Tech support in India as they walled me through useless checks, then had me completely re-image the system. If anything, I think things actually became worse because all the useless third party apps pre-loaded where now back.

This include apps, that seem more like malware than worthwhile programs, seem to bog down the underperfoming unit. Also, the pre-installed OS, Windows 7 Home Premium has difficulty running, often prompting me with a black and white screen indicating, “Your computer does not have the necessary system requirements or resources available”. Other serious issues include a battery that can’t provide even two hours charge. What use is a tablet that must be tethered to a AC cord? Recurring screen dimming and brightening, whether on battery or AC, and no matter what power settings are selected.

As a tablet, it is completely worthless – the touch screen sensitivity is terrible. No matter what setting are selected, you cannot get accurate touch response, whether using your finger or a stylus. So… in attempting to work with Dell customer support. It appears they don’t have any. My wife and I have called repeatedly, at different days and times and are given a complete runaround. We can only get to first level reps in India, the Phillipines, and El Salvador. No one would provide us with anyone in the US. As a US citizen, making a purchase from what is purportedly a US corporation, I expect satisfaction from a US representative of that corporation.

We have noted we would be willing to return this lemon for a credit on another, functional Dell product, but we are repeatedly told we don’t have any options. We can return this unit for a refurbished unit of the same type or we can get bend. They repeatedly tell us that Dell’s only ‘customer satisfaction’ response is if the product is returned within the first 21 calendar days and a 15% restocking fee is surrendered! Has anyone else who had the misfortune to be a customer of dell encounter this same response from Michael Dell’s once worthy company? It truly appears this multi-national is ‘dumping’ defective product on the US public.

Company Name: