Customer Satisfaction Results

Complaint Department

Posted by Whitney Stout
Jan 29, 2015 - Franklin, MI
Horrible

If a negative rating was possible, this place deserves it. When picking up my rental car at 7:30AM (I called the day before to make sure one was available,) they proceeded to tell me to take the car to get an oil change on my way to work. "No worries," Jeremy said; "it'll only take 10 minutes." EXCUSE ME? You want me to take a car that I am renting to go get serviced? Absolutely not. I refused and was put in a pickup truck instead. Wow thanks. So then two days later, I check my bank account. A $362 charge was taken by Hertz for the rental car. I am stunned. Not only is my account now in the negative, my blood pressure is now getting higher. I call the Royal Oak location and they inform me they have lost my insurance claim number; which I verbally gave to them two days prior; hence getting in a pickup truck. I inform them this is not my fault and I need the funds released immediately. They connect me to billing; a whole new fresh hell. The woman in billing informs me that since I had no claim number; Hertz charged me the normal amount for the vehicle. Whatever-just GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK. After two days of phone tag, they tell me to turn in my lovely pickup and rent another car and open a whole new rental so the old money can be released. Needless to say, I turned in my redneck mobile and went across the street to Enterprise where they were AMAZING. No issues, no hassles and no STEALING MONEY. Oh, and after I turned the car in and called a few days later when my money had not yet been returned, Hertz Royal Oak told me to turn the truck in and start a new rental....even though I already did days ago. Days have now passed and still no sign of my money. I WILL NEVER USE HERTZ EVER AGAIN. They cannot find their asses with both hands. This has been the worst experience of my life and such a headache. Oh, and my account is still in the negative.

Have you had problems with Hertz?

Compare Hertz to Similar Car Rental more...

Top 57 Reviews about Hertz

The most popular submitted in 2015. Are you a Hertz customer? Use our online web form to create your own.

Horrible

Rented a car on 10/19/14. Rental Agreement 001845583. Went to get the car on 10/21/14, but the car was not available. I was given another car after completing paper work.

Retuned car and billed $373.65. Paid for the car.

Credit Card showed that I was also billed for 001845583, $368.55. Obviously, I was billed twice for a total of $742.20 for one car. I have made numerous attempts to get this fixed. I was told on 3/6/15 by your Agent #7839 that I would be credited on my credit card for the obvious double billing 368.55.

I have not received my money and will never use Hertz again!

Bad

I booked a reservation 2 days prior to my reservation and I arrive to Hertz to pick up my vehicle. The guy, Don, tells me there are no more full size vehicle left. So I explain to Don that I put a reservation for a full size vehicle but then he offer me a compact vehicle which was still too small for my passengers. Don tells me, with a attitude, that the vehicle he offer me is a mid size. It's not! The car is a compact sonic by cheverolet.

So I had no other choice but to take it because I was going out of town. So we accept the vehicle. Once the transaction was complete Don handed over the keys and sent us on our way. Okay, so as I get into the vehicle, I spotted a crack in the windshield so I go back into the building to tell Don. He needed to walk with me around the vehicle for an inspection because I do not wanna be fault for any scratches, dents, etc. Don had an attitude about that. I just feel his customer services Sucks!!!

Horrible

Lazy employees and company....!!!!! I went out of my way from Alabama, to the Pensacola Airport to pick up a truck that your company will NOT supply to this location in Al. Waited 45 minutes in Florida, because the back employee(s?) would not respond to base and another 45 minutes later, because they had to fill truck with gas.

NOW, I can't leave a message for the manager, his center is full and will NOT answer. Tried at least several messages at different centers, none will take messages. FULL>>>, figure that!!!!! LOL...... I'm more than upset. I can't even extend rental, no one will answer and Foley, Al. can't help.

WHATS WRONG WITH UR COMPANY???????????

Truck will be return on Friday Late...and after so many inconveniences, it will be in Alabama NOT at the Pensacola Airport....... No additional charges, I expect to be charged for!!!!!! Someone better call me, I'm TOTALLY dissatisfied!!!!!!!!! Never, EVER, I have seen such a messed up outfit, and I'm 70 years old! The left arm didn't know what the right arm is doing. WOWWWWWWWWWW!!

Horrible

I rented a Kia Sorento from Hertz, and had problems with the emergency flashers going off, and I was locked out of the car. I called my husband and he contacted the Hertz roadside assistance, and they never showed!

Later on, I tried the key again, and it let me in, so I drove to get my husband, and we drove to Hertz to exchange the car. We we're charged for $40.00 for fuel even though I was locked out of the car, and upset that I had to exchanged the car! Also I went in person to extend another week of the other car Hyundai Accent, and the sales associate said she saw me smoking, so I was getting billed for $250.00. I told her I wasn't smoking in the car (policy non-smoking) and she said when I turned the car in, she better not smell any smoke!

I turned the car in, and another associate said she smelled smoke, and as soon as the other woman (Jennie) returned she would let me know if she is going to charge me for the smell of smoke! Ever since we rented their cars we had problems, and being over charged for any and everything! Never again will I do any business with them again,and also I filed a compliant with the BBB!

Horrible

Hertz did not use full disclosure when renting me a vehicle. Charging me over $300 for an extra insurance fee of $9/day on a loaner while my car is in shop. Never once told me it was an extra $9/day. And on top of that I already have full coverage auto insurance. Said I signed the same contract last time I got a loaner. None of my records show me paying anything to them last time.

Horrible

I confirmed a reservation for a mini van on 5/03/2015 with Priceline with a confirmation # G5573628596 from Hertz for a Mini Van. My credit card was charged. When I arrived a the Airport in Lafayette La. there was no Mini Van available. This was a horrible experience.

The Customer service agent was very rude. Her name was Margret Hatch. She explained that she did not have a mini van and did not do anything to assist. She wanted to charge me an additional $150.00 for an upgrade to a Traverse. I asked her to contact her manager and she called but acted liked the manager would not call. Stating she is probably in a meeting or preoccupied with personal issues.. The time was 7PM.

I stood there for 20 minutes and no call back and Margret just kept working as if I was invisible. I left disappointed. My card was charged and I asked her for Priceline #. She stated she did not have it and continued to work as if I was invisible. Please refund my money asap. I will re-consider using Priceline and Hertz in the future, if this is resolved asap. I did not leave with a Mini van and had to make other arrangements to get my family to our destination in another State.

Horrible

We were scheduled to fly from Boston to Fort Myers (SW Regional Airport) but due to a connecting flight problem in Atlantic City, Spirit Airlines could only fly us into Orlando, FLA. That meant I needed to rent a car to get from Orlando to Fort Myers. I figured this was about a three hour drive....It meant that I picked up the car in Orlando but would be dropping it off at the Fort Myers Airport.

I just needed the cheapest car which was about $37.00. I understand there would be other fees with it, the usual surcharges and other unrecognizable fees...Ok fine.

The customer service rep couldn't seem to understand I was taking a car from his facility but returning it to another (isn't that a normal occurrence?) Anyway I was charged a whopping $225.77 for a car I only needed for three hours!

The additional pain point here is the people we were staying with also rented a car and was charged around $190.00 FOR 8 DAYS OF USE!!

How can I be charged $225.77 for only three hours? I would like you to credit my account back to a fair price. The rental Record # is 167692781.

Horrible

I wanted to discuss my rental experience with you and the issue of the optional damage waiver that is offered.

I rented my car on 4/10/15 at the Hertz office location on 1995B Vassar St. in Reno, NV, 89502. The car was rented through a AAA claim as my car was totaled several times prior. Upon returning my car, I was shocked to realize I owed $139.93 out of pocket for the damage waiver. I was told I agreed to this, and they would not return that charge.

After much resistance to that charge on my part the agent agreed to hold that charge until discussing with the manager who would not be available until after the weekend. On 4/24/15 the charge then appeared on my bill. The only thing I could find that I actually signed on was the vehicle inspection form.

Here are the circumstances of the transaction that I feel deserve consideration:

When I arrived there was only one agent there who was in the process of training a new employee and helping someone ahead of me. In the meantime, people began pouring through the doors returning and picking up rentals. The place was clearly understaffed. The new trainee began the process on my claim as the trainer began to help another person. She was jumping back and forth between my transaction and other people so she was on hyper speed. She did finish up with me on the rental but was talking so fast, I had no idea what she was talking about much less what she was writing down or offering. She clearly needed to get me out the door so she could get to others.

I was standing there in pain with a neck brace on from a fracture I sustained and in pain from my car accident. I just wanted out of there so perhaps did not take the time to question everything fully. In all fairness, the agent was on overload and trying to handle way too much for one person. She could not possibly take the time to clearly explain the details of the extra insurance. It is possible she made a very quick reference to the waiver but definitely did not fully explain what my responsibility was in that regard. I would have absolutely declined that coverage as my own insurance covers rentals. I rent cars twice a year when on vacation and never ever purchase extra coverage.

When ever I have been offered that coverage in the past it has always been made clear to me and I ALWAYS decline. In this instance it was not clearly communicated as the agent was obviously extremely rushed. I sincerely felt for her because so many customers were beginning to arrive, and she was doing the best she could under the circumstances. I have never rented a car under these circumstances before which was a claim that was being paid by an insurance company. Something was definitely lost in the translation.

As I began to read the very terrible reviews for this particular location, I realized I was going to get nowhere fast with the manager there. This has been an ongoing problem with this particular Hertz and the issue of the waivers. There were so many disgruntled customers involving the very same issue and reviews like...”if I could give them 0 stars I would. I have never read so many terrible reviews for a given business. It is a well known fact that that type of coverage obtained from customers is the bread and butter of the rental car industry and is often obtained by scrupulous means. I think a review of your business practices should be a consideration with updated training involving the damage waivers. Perhaps this location just needs a review. In this day and age in order to stay competitive it is always a good idea to operate with integrity and a progressive business paradigm.

I would really appreciate your consideration in reviewing this erroneous charge and the possibility of a refund in this regard. I would like to give you a fair chance to make this right before pursuing action with the BBB and the attorney general in your district.

Horrible

We are a body shop that has used Hertz for the past 15 years. This week I have two customer call saying that Hertz could not bring the cars to my shop??? So I called Hertz in Marion IL and they told me they were no longer going to be working with any shops in DuQuoin IL???

So they expect our customers to go out of town to our competition to pick up a rental car that could be brought to our shop!!!! I guess someone in the Marion location is friends with someone at our competitors location!! They are building a new shop in DuQuoin and I guess that's who you need to work with!! After 15 years our shop will no longer be referring to Hertz we will be using Enterprise. NOT HAPPY !!!!!!!!!

Horrible

I rented through Hotwire and secured a good price for my rental. When I checked in at San Francisco airport location a Hertz supervisor was the person taking care of me. She told me I should upgrade, and I said that is ok. Then she stated about the pre gas and I said no. She told me that if I bring it back half way I would get the difference. So I took it and went to my car.

The car was beat up torn seats with stains and upholstery was torn and it did not work. I asked for a new one for a person in the lot. We did get a new car but what a joke. When I came back with just under half a tank the girl that checked the car in told me that is not correct and told me she gets this all the time. I went to the supervisor and explained and found the one that rented the car. and she denied that she ever told me this. I was heated and told them I would report them as I am doing so now. The manager name I am going to leave out but terrible service..

Bad

Hertz, Dublin Airport, Ireland. April 9th -18th, 2015. When picking up the car we were told to leave the car empty of gas but that it was full now. When in fact the car only had 3/4ths of a tank of gas. We left 1/2 a tank when we dropped it off. We were not told that there was an additional driver COST of $75.00, we only added my name for just in case my husband needed me to drive. Had we known about the fee we never would added an additional name. The clerk at Hertz never explained about tolls, that some tolls have to be paid at gas stations.Since that is not done in the USA it would have been common courtesy to inform clients of what is expected from the country they are renting the vehicle in.

Initial bill being- additional driver 75.33, Never lost charge of 93.00 fuel 53.66 a 5.00 fee to use a credit card and 35.07 in taxes total 262.06. final bill was Add driver 83.70 Never lost (tom-tom) 107.00 fuel 66.00 with the 5 for CC use and taxes decrease 25.75 for a total of 287.45 BUT the charge on the CC was 292.88. and 2 additional fees for tolls of 3.45 each. I really don't mind paying a bill but it seems to me that this company is money hungry and not up front about charges. I understand your in business to make money but your less then up front employees have caused you to loose me as a customer and I would never recommend your company to anyone else. But if you wanted to do the right thing and refund some of my expenses caused by your employee omitting facts. I would appreciate it.

Horrible

On 12/04/2014, I rented a car at your office at South West Freeway HLE, Houston Texas. This rental was arranged by the State Farm insurance responsible for providing a rental car while my car was in a mechanic workshop called Modena Autowerks off 12506 West Belfort, Houston, Texas. Hertz local office demanded a deposit from me of $I00.00 which I paid in cash and acknowledged in the documents issued to me. When the mechanic completed their work I dropped the car at the workshop which they returned to Hertz office as agreed.

I expected my deposit money would be sent to me in a timely manner but it did not happen. I went to the local office, and a woman who said she is the manager told me that a check was sent to me but returned because they did not have my house unit number. I gave her all the information and she said it would take 3-4 weeks to reprocess. It has taken over 2 months and I have not got my deposit money back.

I went back again to your local office and met this woman again but she could not even give me a phone number to reach your office and beg that my 100USD deposit be returned to me because I have a serious need for my money. Kindly look into this and resolve immediately.

Horrible

I was having warranty work done on my car at plaza Lincoln in Leesburg fl. and they were supplying me with a loner. I was transported to Hertz and dealt with Nikki Mesa. She said that it would cost x amount per day, and I said that it was not supposed to cost anything as per the dealer. She said ok I'll fix that. I declined all ins options later after I returned the car did I see a charge on my credit card for $79.92. I called the office and talked to Robert and he said he would get back to me.

This was in March and it's the middle of April now and no one returned my call. I deputed the charge with my bank and they stopped payment until this matter was resolved. I have been told to call Mr. Marcus Lechler the general manager in Orland Fl. by Robert Myus which I have done left A message on his cell phone twice in the last 2 days 4/7 & 4/8. Still no response. I have called corporate office only to be forwarded to the villages office in the villages Fl. where I reside. I have had loners before from enterprise and never had a problem I feel I was exploited because I am elderly. Please expedite this matter as I am on a fixed income and don't need any more added expenses.

Poor

I am writing in to ask why you are closing the car rental office in Corpus Christi, Tx?? I went in to make reservations for late May and they told me that they could not. Being a recent one of your Gold Members I did not understand why. So I asked. I found out that your plans are to close the 'only' Hertz Rental 'in' the city. Yes, we have the airport site but it is out of the way. Very inconvenience!!! Now, I know it can not be cause of their sales. Why?? Because there has been times that they did not have any car rentals available. This is not their fault but the co-operations. So, I hope that this is not a reason. I know that Corpus Christi is a medium size city in South Texas and we deserve a Hertz Rental office. The workers from the employees all the way up to the manager is one of the best. Nothing like that at the airport. I would never go out there to rent one of your cars. I guess I will close now and make a big request. Please reconsider your decision to close 'Our' Hertz Car Rental in the beautiful city of Corpus Christi, Texas. Thank you and I really would like to hear back from you all.

Poor

I went to Hertz car rental in Sacramento Airport to swap the car that I picked up on Folsom branch that morning, I had to swap the car due to a very strong cigarette smell inside especially when I turned on the aircon. When I arrived at the Hertz Sacramento Airport, I nicely approached the Hertz front clerk named Melissa to tell her that I'm there to swap the car due to the strong smell of cigarette inside the car but instead of her being nice and saying sorry or saying something like hopefully we can help you with your problem, Melissa instead replied to me with a rude voice saying "WHY DID YOU TAKE THE CAR?! She was confrontational. I still answered her question with a calm and polite manner that I did not smell the cigarette until I close all the windows and turn on the AC and by that time the branch of Folsom was already close.

Then she offered a car that has a lesser options/features. I declined that and asked for the same car that I had so I can bring it and swap it to another location. After waiting for several minutes and couple of follow ups they can't find the car, So I asked for the manager and the manager wasn't available. I spoke with Melissa again and she wanted me to wait at the lobby if I want to speak with a manager and god knows how long! Her attitude is really bad, unprofessional, doesn't want to help, making gestures, loud voice, fighting with a customer and RUDE!!!!! What a very poor customer service from Melissa. Is this how Hertz treat your customers? I hope management can do something about this.

Bad

My wife was granted a Hertz rental in Gresham, OR through State Farm insurance due to an accident. Everything was ok until she returned the car and forgot her garage door opener. When she noticed 20 minutes later I called the manager,Becky, and ask her the retrieve it. She said it wouldn't go anywhere. I ask her to please put it in the office and I would retrieve it the next day. The next day the car was relocated to a big lot of Hertz's and calls were made to locate the opener. Two days later, a Hertz employee, Danny, told me they were trying to locate the opener still. He said the car was still sitting in the lot but they would not go look. He said I could drive out there and look myself.

Bad

The second day of having the car I had to move the driver seat back to retrieve my phone. I found trash under both seats and also rolling papers and cigirello wrappers. When I called and told them this and explained that had I been pulled over I could have gotten in some serious trouble in turn could have costed me losts of money and court action, as well as possibly loosing my nursing license. The employee adamently continued to deny that this could not have been true insinuating I was a liar. He also said that I could not have gotten in ay trouble with the law. I know different. My cousin is the commander on narcotics for LMPD. Also there was a fuse blown the the radio. I contacted the office and asked them if they could tell me where the fuse box was so I could replace it. The employee said he would have to check and get back with me. I never recieved a phone call. 3 weeks later my checking account was debit for $1718.....really??? When I contacted them they said they had to send it to a dealer to have it repaired but could not tell me for what. I am now fighting the bank because they allowed a debit to come through on a canceled card. I was never once contacted in any form to talk about or resolve the matter. If I dont get my money back with an explanation and my insurance handle the problem I will make it known to the BBB and every social media what I found under the seats.

Poor

Rented a car at INSKIP Hertz on 12/6/2014, haft way thru rental, I changed cars. Second car was more expensive. When I received the Bill on 1/9/15. They charged me the rate on the second car for the entire rental. They said I would receive a credit in a few weeks, because they could not change the rate because it was after hours. I have gone back 4 times and each time, its the same story.

Bad

We had to get a rental because my trailblazer was backed into by a semi. We always use hertz as does the company I work for. So I thought I would go through hertz instead of enterprise. I guess that was the first mistake. I went in to receive the car and they insist they asked me about the PDW insurance that was on the final bill, which the insurance company will not cover. I was never explained that there was that charge on the bill and all they kept telling me was it was a legal binding document I signed. The kids working there had to be around 23-25 and I know maybe they went to college, but as they get further in life they will realize that is not the way to treat customers. If we treated our customers as I was treated we would not be in business. All I asked is for that charge to be removed and they insisted they could not remove the charge once again because it was a legal binding contract. I was so angry when I left, I wanted to scream. To top it off I called after the weekend to have the bill sent to me and they still have never sent over a copy. Has that location ever heard of customer service???

Bad

I reserved a Hertz vehicle and a Delta airline flight vacation package through what I thought was Kayak. Through the wonders of cyber space my confirmation came from "Whats Cheaper". My Automobile was to be picked up at the Phoenix airport on 3/28 and returned to the same place on on 4/2. Reservation numbers were: G52023843A9, (also see RR 157353276). This package was to be all inclusive and prepaid.
When I turned the auto in on Thursday, (1 day early) I was charged $30.71 for additional services which I did not ask for. I would like to have this charge refunded to my American Express Account.
John C. Todd