Customer Satisfaction Results

Hertz

Complaint Department

Filed by Whitney Stout on Jan 29, 2015
Consumer Rating

If a negative rating was possible, this place deserves it. When picking up my rental car at 7:30AM (I called the day before to make sure one was available,) they proceeded to tell me to take the car to get an oil change on my way to work. "No worries," Jeremy said; "it'll only take 10 minutes." EXCUSE ME? You want me to take a car that I am renting to go get serviced? Absolutely not. I refused and was put in a pickup truck instead. Wow thanks. So then two days later, I check my bank account. A $362 charge was taken by Hertz for the rental car. I am stunned. Not only is my account now in the negative, my blood pressure is now getting higher. I call the Royal Oak location and they inform me they have lost my insurance claim number; which I verbally gave to them two days prior; hence getting in a pickup truck. I inform them this is not my fault and I need the funds released immediately. They connect me to billing; a whole new fresh hell. The woman in billing informs me that since I had no claim number; Hertz charged me the normal amount for the vehicle. Whatever-just GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK. After two days of phone tag, they tell me to turn in my lovely pickup and rent another car and open a whole new rental so the old money can be released. Needless to say, I turned in my redneck mobile and went across the street to Enterprise where they were AMAZING. No issues, no hassles and no STEALING MONEY. Oh, and after I turned the car in and called a few days later when my money had not yet been returned, Hertz Royal Oak told me to turn the truck in and start a new rental....even though I already did days ago. Days have now passed and still no sign of my money. I WILL NEVER USE HERTZ EVER AGAIN. They cannot find their asses with both hands. This has been the worst experience of my life and such a headache. Oh, and my account is still in the negative.

14 customers agree with this feedback

Do you agree? Yes or No

Do you have a complaint about Hertz?

Compare Hertz to Similar Car Rental more...

Hertz Customer Feedback Trending Now

45 Hertz consumers have created complaints against Hertz to date. Need to report poor customer service? Use our free Hertz complaint form to share your review. Need to contact Hertz corporate headquarters? Find office address, phone number, and email information here.

Consumer Rating

I was having warranty work done on my car at plaza Lincoln in Leesburg fl. and they were supplying me with a loner. I was transported to Hertz and dealt with Nikki Mesa. She said that it would cost x amount per day, and I said that it was not supposed to cost anything as per the dealer. She said ok I'll fix that. I declined all ins options later after I returned the car did I see a charge on my credit card for $79.92. I called the office and talked to Robert and he said he would get back to me.

This was in March and it's the middle of April now and no one returned my call. I deputed the charge with my bank and they stopped payment until this matter was resolved. I have been told to call Mr. Marcus Lechler the general manager in Orland Fl. by Robert Myus which I have done left A message on his cell phone twice in the last 2 days 4/7 & 4/8. Still no response. I have called corporate office only to be forwarded to the villages office in the villages Fl. where I reside. I have had loners before from enterprise and never had a problem I feel I was exploited because I am elderly. Please expedite this matter as I am on a fixed income and don't need any more added expenses.

Consumer Rating

I am writing in to ask why you are closing the car rental office in Corpus Christi, Tx?? I went in to make reservations for late May and they told me that they could not. Being a recent one of your Gold Members I did not understand why. So I asked. I found out that your plans are to close the 'only' Hertz Rental 'in' the city. Yes, we have the airport site but it is out of the way. Very inconvenience!!! Now, I know it can not be cause of their sales. Why?? Because there has been times that they did not have any car rentals available. This is not their fault but the co-operations. So, I hope that this is not a reason. I know that Corpus Christi is a medium size city in South Texas and we deserve a Hertz Rental office. The workers from the employees all the way up to the manager is one of the best. Nothing like that at the airport. I would never go out there to rent one of your cars. I guess I will close now and make a big request. Please reconsider your decision to close 'Our' Hertz Car Rental in the beautiful city of Corpus Christi, Texas. Thank you and I really would like to hear back from you all.

Consumer Rating

I went to Hertz car rental in Sacramento Airport to swap the car that I picked up on Folsom branch that morning, I had to swap the car due to a very strong cigarette smell inside especially when I turned on the aircon. When I arrived at the Hertz Sacramento Airport, I nicely approached the Hertz front clerk named Melissa to tell her that I'm there to swap the car due to the strong smell of cigarette inside the car but instead of her being nice and saying sorry or saying something like hopefully we can help you with your problem, Melissa instead replied to me with a rude voice saying "WHY DID YOU TAKE THE CAR?! She was confrontational. I still answered her question with a calm and polite manner that I did not smell the cigarette until I close all the windows and turn on the AC and by that time the branch of Folsom was already close.

Then she offered a car that has a lesser options/features. I declined that and asked for the same car that I had so I can bring it and swap it to another location. After waiting for several minutes and couple of follow ups they can't find the car, So I asked for the manager and the manager wasn't available. I spoke with Melissa again and she wanted me to wait at the lobby if I want to speak with a manager and god knows how long! Her attitude is really bad, unprofessional, doesn't want to help, making gestures, loud voice, fighting with a customer and RUDE!!!!! What a very poor customer service from Melissa. Is this how Hertz treat your customers? I hope management can do something about this.

Consumer Rating

My wife was granted a Hertz rental in Gresham, OR through State Farm insurance due to an accident. Everything was ok until she returned the car and forgot her garage door opener. When she noticed 20 minutes later I called the manager,Becky, and ask her the retrieve it. She said it wouldn't go anywhere. I ask her to please put it in the office and I would retrieve it the next day. The next day the car was relocated to a big lot of Hertz's and calls were made to locate the opener. Two days later, a Hertz employee, Danny, told me they were trying to locate the opener still. He said the car was still sitting in the lot but they would not go look. He said I could drive out there and look myself.

Consumer Rating

The second day of having the car I had to move the driver seat back to retrieve my phone. I found trash under both seats and also rolling papers and cigirello wrappers. When I called and told them this and explained that had I been pulled over I could have gotten in some serious trouble in turn could have costed me losts of money and court action, as well as possibly loosing my nursing license. The employee adamently continued to deny that this could not have been true insinuating I was a liar. He also said that I could not have gotten in ay trouble with the law. I know different. My cousin is the commander on narcotics for LMPD. Also there was a fuse blown the the radio. I contacted the office and asked them if they could tell me where the fuse box was so I could replace it. The employee said he would have to check and get back with me. I never recieved a phone call. 3 weeks later my checking account was debit for $1718.....really??? When I contacted them they said they had to send it to a dealer to have it repaired but could not tell me for what. I am now fighting the bank because they allowed a debit to come through on a canceled card. I was never once contacted in any form to talk about or resolve the matter. If I dont get my money back with an explanation and my insurance handle the problem I will make it known to the BBB and every social media what I found under the seats.

Consumer Rating

Rented a car at INSKIP Hertz on 12/6/2014, haft way thru rental, I changed cars. Second car was more expensive. When I received the Bill on 1/9/15. They charged me the rate on the second car for the entire rental. They said I would receive a credit in a few weeks, because they could not change the rate because it was after hours. I have gone back 4 times and each time, its the same story.

Consumer Rating

We had to get a rental because my trailblazer was backed into by a semi. We always use hertz as does the company I work for. So I thought I would go through hertz instead of enterprise. I guess that was the first mistake. I went in to receive the car and they insist they asked me about the PDW insurance that was on the final bill, which the insurance company will not cover. I was never explained that there was that charge on the bill and all they kept telling me was it was a legal binding document I signed. The kids working there had to be around 23-25 and I know maybe they went to college, but as they get further in life they will realize that is not the way to treat customers. If we treated our customers as I was treated we would not be in business. All I asked is for that charge to be removed and they insisted they could not remove the charge once again because it was a legal binding contract. I was so angry when I left, I wanted to scream. To top it off I called after the weekend to have the bill sent to me and they still have never sent over a copy. Has that location ever heard of customer service???

Consumer Rating

I reserved a Hertz vehicle and a Delta airline flight vacation package through what I thought was Kayak. Through the wonders of cyber space my confirmation came from "Whats Cheaper". My Automobile was to be picked up at the Phoenix airport on 3/28 and returned to the same place on on 4/2. Reservation numbers were: G52023843A9, (also see RR 157353276). This package was to be all inclusive and prepaid.
When I turned the auto in on Thursday, (1 day early) I was charged $30.71 for additional services which I did not ask for. I would like to have this charge refunded to my American Express Account.
John C. Todd
Principal
Junction Consulting

Consumer Rating

My insurance company called me on April 3,2015 to pick up my rental car from Hertz in Akron Ohio on Brittan Road. I walked into the office where I stood for about 3-4 minutes before I was even greeted. So a agent name Greg asked if I need help and I replied yes I do my insurance company told me to come pick up a vehicle. He informed me I should have called first. So he goes to the computer and asked my name. He pulls up the reservation for me and says we have a Kia Soul. So he leaves to get the vehicle. He comes to the front of the building with the vehicle. OMG!!!!! The vehicle is white. It has grey masking tape on the front bumper and on the fender of the car, as well as something hanging from under the car. So I go to the door and tell him something is hanging under the car, and I have a low driveway and whatever it is will come off when I pull in or out my driveway. He acts like he doesn't see anything, so I tell him I don't want to take the car and it comes off. So he said it's nothing and it won't come off.
So he comes back in the office asked for my id, and debit card or bank card.

I ask why because my insurance is paying for everything why do I need one. He said to have on file. So I give him 4 different debit cards that I have and he went to the back and I guess asked the manager Matt if they could take the cards and he said no. So I call my insurance company myself to see what could be done with leaving message after message, I finally got up to leave and Greg was like so what are you going to do. I was not offered any assistance with this problem from the manager Matt or Greg. They acted like was a bother to be in the office. I have never been so disappointed with a customer service experience in a long time. I was under the impression from my insurance company everything was under there account, and they made me feel like it was a bother to do business with. I will never use them, I can't say again because I never used them the first time. I am also writing to my insurance company that they might want to use a rental car agency that respects the customer, not the card you carry.

Consumer Rating

Reserved a car rental, checked in online. After I got to their offices was told I could not rent the car without a major credit card. They should have said something before.

Consumer Rating

My friend got wrote up because he didn't sell enough safety coverage at Hertz. This is the kind of company you are dealing with...

Consumer Rating

I rented a car from Hertz on Monday 30.2015 First of all when I call ten days ago to make arrangements for a car I was told that someone would be at the location I provided to bring me a car at nine oclock. and the question was asked what kind of car did I want I stated a small car good on gas and I was told the kind of cars that they had and I said I would like a Mazda which I was expecting. First of all no one was there at the time I was told it was at 9:25 am and then taking care of the paper work then when we went outside it was a Chrysler 2013 it was not what I wanted at all the car was too big for me in which was a inconvience for me to go anywhere but to my first job and back uncomfortable with the car I am very unhappy with the service.

Consumer Rating

Counter agent at SFO on 3/28 did not ask if I wanted insurance or gas prepay - if he had I would have declined all. He was distractedly talking to a customer behind me, shovedy paperwork at me without asking me to sign or showing me a total. After a cross-county flight I was just relieved to get in the car and didn't check it. Now I see he added everything possible, DOUBLING my guaranteed rate. Completely unacceptable.

Consumer Rating

I rented a car for a 4 day weekend.. taking my daughter and young granddaughters to PA for a family birthday party. While going through NY and part of PA we ran into torrential rains.. I had really scary handling problems with the car and at one point thought the transmission was slipping and here we are with a 6 month old baby and an 8 year old little girl in the car.. I pulled over till it ended. I told my daughter and son in law about the problems and a really quick look at the car showed the tires were bald! So bald that we weren't getting traction in the rain so they were spinning when I accelerated.. Not only that, there is no inspection sticker on the car anywhere. I always used Enterprise and a friend said Try Hertz.. Never again.. ever.. When I voiced my concerns to the guy when I returned it, he quickly looked at the tires and said.. sorry about that, maam that was it.. I told all my car renting friends and co workers and they won't be using Hertz either.. bad customer service.

Consumer Rating

Made a reservation on line. Requested a compact or an economy car. Prepaid $208 with the understanding I would pay an additional $82 when I got the vehicle. With taxes, etc $325 for a weekly rental. Good yes? NO!!!! When I got to the pick up point (Fort Lauderdale Airport) I was ushered to a screen. Agent was from Hertz in Ft. Meyers. She upgraded me without informing me, I requested Satellite Radio that was not activated by Hertz and therefore not operational, AND when I called customer services, could not get to speak to a live person. Left several messages that were not returned. Called on Saturday to learn that there is not one manning the phones over the weekend! YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!! First and last time I will ever use Hertz! BUYERS BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Consumer Rating

I reserved a SUV rental for March 13-16, 2015. I made the reservation on March 6, 2015 via the Hertz website. When I got to the rental car place I was not greeted at all, But I did see the customer service agent sitting with her coat on telling me that they didn't have a contact number for me to inform me that they did not have any rentals avail. I told her that I entered a contact number on the website and I even received a reminder email about my reservation. To make the long story short, I left with no rental vehicle and I was taking my family out of town that day.

Consumer Rating

On Tue. Mar 10, 2015 at 5:30 PM my wife and I picked up our rental car from Hertz in Folsom Calif. Confirmation number G49504412A1. All went well until the check engine light came on 2 days later. I called the Folsom branch and told them my problem.They said they were sorry and gave me the number of a Hertz in the town I was in. They also stated if I was ok driving with the check engine light on till I got back it was ok with them. I ask them to send me an E-mail stating it was ok to drive and was put on hold. After a few min. the person came back on and stated they did not want to be responable. I was given the number of the manager in Whiter and was told they only had a compact to exchange.

The manager refered me to the Rolling heights store and was told they had nothing but if I wanted to come back the next day they would see what they could do for me. They in turn gave me the number of the store in Pico Revera and was put on hold for 5 mins. then disconnected. I then called Orange County Airport and talked to Stephen and he told me to drive the car to the airport where he said there over a hundred cars he could put me in. At 10:00 PM that night I was in a new car with no questions asked. My thanks to Stephen and the employees at the airport for doing the right thing. also my thanks to the employees in Folsom for helping me get a new rental. We will rent from you again in the future and hope we have nice people to help us. Thank you. Kenneth Keith

Consumer Rating

The car smelled horrible like smoke and when i called to exchange they didnt have car available.

Consumer Rating

I can't give less that 1 star, so that is why they got one start, called to be picked up from auto body shop at 8:12, body shop called at 9:00 to say a State Farm costumer was still waiting, another 45 mins later they show up. I got a dirty car, I was sold a insurance thing they said I needed. I called State Farm when I got home and I was fully covered, then I called to cancel it, and was told I drove it and I will be charged 1 day, then canceled. I asked to speak to a manager, was told no one there. I called corporate and imagine a long phone wait for complaints. OAK PARK ILL HERTZ RENTAL CAR SUCKS BIG TIME

Consumer Rating

Rented a Hertz car on 1/7/14 at Frankfurt Airport. Subsequently there was a (proper) charge for 29.75 Euros. Frankfurt kept sending invoices to me and my credit card company. My credit card investigated for several months, and Frankfurt was paid for the amount, just once. Frankfurt kept sending bills to me. I complained to Frankfurt. In the fall of 2014 I finally received a letter of apology from Hertz Germany saying they received the amount.The apology was very specific. Subject finished. Right? Not really for Hertz! In late January 2015 I get a photo copy of the same letter I had received about 10 times in the prior year. I responded on 4 February 2015 telling them I already had received a letter of apology for their incompetent behavior. I thought that was the end. NO!!!!! on 3/32015 I received the same invoice for the 11th time for the same amount. Unbelievable. I rent a lot of cars. Never again from hertz.

Contact the Hertz Complaint Department

• I want to write a letter to Hertz. What is their corporate mailing address?

• 225 Brae Blvd.
    • Park Ridge
    • NJ 07656
  • I want to call the Hertz customer hotline. Do they have a phone number I can call to voice my problem?

201-307-2000
  • I need to visit the Hertz company website. What is their website address?