Customer Satisfaction Results

CenturyLink

Complaint Department

Filed by Complaints Department on Feb 16, 2015
Consumer Rating

I have had the worst customer service ever with century link from loosing my install work order, deposit on account and being promised hundreds of dollars in credits that were never issued. Every time I call I am on the phone for t least 30 minutes and transferred three or four times. They promised me a gift card to be sent in sept and still don't have it it s february! They are the worst!!

17 customers agree with this feedback

Do you agree? Yes or No

Do you have a complaint about CenturyLink?

Compare CenturyLink to Similar Cable TV more...

CenturyLink Customer Feedback Trending Now

82 CenturyLink consumers have created complaints against CenturyLink to date. Need to report poor customer service? Use our free CenturyLink complaint form to share your review. Need to contact CenturyLink corporate headquarters? Find office address, phone number, and email information here.

Consumer Rating

My wife & I have had a lot of problems with the service at CenturyLink. Our billing keeps going up every time we get our next bill!! Can we cancel our service because of poor service?? If not, we want to let you know we won't renew our contract when our year's contract is up!! We are going back to Comcast. They didn't keep raisiing our monthly bill EVERY time we got our next bill & the service was not having lines in the screen or frozen screens. We had a tech come our and nothing the tech did helped solve the problem.. We will not pay a high billing price to watch television. One high note: the internet speed is really good, but that is the only thing we can say that is a plus!!

Consumer Rating

First it was not having internet service hooked up, then it was at a speed lower than I was paying for, now you turned my e-mail off. In total I have spent something more than 3 hours trying to get everything resolved. Today alone I have been transferred 3 times to people who say "sorry, that is not my account. I will transfer you to someone who can assist you." - 40 minutes latter I hung-up! I have been a customer for over 12 years, been a stock holder and now I am one pissed off customer! Why can't Centurylink transfer accounts between systems and why can't your service reps do their jobs? I will not sit on hold anymore for you guys to get it right, please call me with someone who can help.

Consumer Rating

I have no complaint with the internet service I signed up for or the installation. However, customer is the WORST!!!!! I called a few days after getting the internet service in regard to a commercial that CenturyTel is broadcasting that offers broadband plus direct TV for $45 per month. I have spoken to no less than 9 different representatives asking about this package. I have been told, that I am mistaken, I misunderstood, I didn't see what I thought, that does not exist and a few other frustrating comments. I watched the ad on television several times and was sure of what I saw, but pulled it up on the internet and watched it several times to be sure I understood. Still I am told it does not exist. False advertising?????

I was told when I signed up for internet service that my first bill would be a certain amount and even received an email confirming that amount. Guess what! My bill was nearly twice what I was quoted!! Of course I didn't receive the bill until AFTER the 30 day window in which I could have cancelled the service had passed. Had I known in that 30 days what they were charging me I most assuredly would have cancelled. I am quite sure that the timing was well calculated to force people to pay for the length of the contract and con us into having to pay higher rates because we don't know what they are up to until it is too late.

Consumer Rating

I have also been lied to and cheated by this company for the past year and a half, since the end of 2013. I have called them on it every month. They offer to set things right and quote me a price to resolve things and then when I get the next months bill, it's twice what it should be. Do they really train people to be this inept in accounting or what is really going on? i have asked for an explanation of the so-called 'services' that seems to double the cost and all I get is double talk. I hate having to call every month to straighten out my bill and have to listen to gobbledygook every time. I realize this is just a complaint website to sound off and nothing will ever come from it, but it helps to vent with others who understand. If a lawyer ever gets this, I hope CenturyLink has to pay double damages, just like they charge others.

Consumer Rating

CEO: Glen F. Post III - CFO: R. Stewart Ewing Jr. - COO: Karen A. Puckett. I have contacted the CenturyLink technical line several times over the past 3 weeks. Each time I use the "chat" feature I make contact with a "technician" who does not know how to solve my problem. My internet works. I am paying for the 1 Gbps download and 25 Mbps Upload capability. I am receiving 24-25 Mbps download and 1.04 Mbps Upload. My Prism appears to work as normal. My problem is I have no telephone service. I am paying for the blanket Phone>Inside>outside>local>Long distance repair capability. First of all when I contact your technical section online, I am warned that it will cost me $85 to have my inside lines fixed if your repairman finds the problem is inside the house. I don't appreciate this threat.

According to your Retail center office (where I have to drive to during their business hours) I am protected even if my phone itself fails (I have been there several times recently and that is the only way I get any help). It is now Easter Sunday. I wanted to call my family members and wish them a Happy Easter! Could I? NO! Because my telephone portion of the CenturyLink service is off again. Thank you. I am anticipating a Job offer from Glaxo Smith Kline which opportunity I may have lost over the past week due to the telephone service at my house having "NO LINE". I finally got a service repairman to come out Saturday. Of course the phone was working fine when he arrived. He chalked it up to "intermittent mystery problem". The telephone lines that run from the poles outside of my subdivision through the neighborhood were installed by a JackLeg subcontractor that Embarq hired to slam them into the ground several years ago.

There used to be audible cross-talk on the lines. Now it appears "according to your repairman", that a possible problem with these old lines may be affecting my phone. There are some loggers tearing up the wooded area behind my house about 200 yards away. Your service technician suggested that may be part of the problem. I doubt that because the lines run parallel to the street and it is nowhere near the work being done. Most people are shying away from landlines in this country. It is probable you will continue to lose more customers by continuing with the unconcerned attitude your company appears to be taking with this issue. "Why bother to fix the root cause of the problem, when the customer is probably going to use a cellular device anyway?" I choose a landline at my home because there are two converging cells at my house. One company in the living room, a different cell company in the bedrooms. The cellular reception on either is hideous. Are you trying to force me to use a cellular phone and dump my landline?
Is there someone at the switch (and I know you have switches) flicking mine off as part of some perceived "funny joke"?

Perhaps your repairman could come out and rip the entire phone wiring system out of my house and replace it guaranteeing elimination of that as part of the problem. Everytime a service technician has been out here they connect their meters and equipment and find no problem. It's similar to when you are so sick you feel like you're dying and as soon as the doctor puts the stethoscope on your chest you feel fine.
Your online chat is pretty much worthless. You do not allow your attendants to make a contact to the people at your company who can "supposedly" really help (the 800 numbers). They say because they are a chat that you do not allow them to make telephone contact to your various helplines for your customers. When my landline is inoperative, as it is right this minute: 7:04pm 04/05/15, and I contact the "chat" help, the attendant is, by your rules, "not allowed" to make contact with the people who they (the attendant) are telling me to call for help. Mr. Spock would say "perplexing". Logically if I have no cellular phone, and my landline is inoperative, it would prove impossible to telephone your help lines for assistance. But it is the only thing your "technician" (attendant) has to offer. I recently was offered a survey of your online service. I gave it "very dissatisfied" as a rating.

You should not use the term "technician" with your answering service's, attendants, and repairmen you send to your customer's homes that can't find the problem. A technician is a person who is a hands-on troubleshooter (successful) who can diagnose, analyze and make a repair or replacement of defective parts, processes, equipment or systems. An engineer is a college trained person who sits at a desk, thinks they know all the answers and lay out all sorts of designs and plays with CAD to make pictures all day that may work if a good "technician" knows how to physically create or repair the actual process or equipment. The engineer is paid at least twice as much as the technician and does 1/2 the actual work. Telephone or Chat attendants are limited "answer the phone" and assign the work to the technician people and have no business whatsoever being titled "technicians" They fix nothing and can't even understand a problem when it is explained to them in terms a child would understand. When they can't do this they are useless.

I don't know if your voice operator attendants who are on the voice end of the technical service line are any better than your "chat" people but if they are the same, you could save a lot of money by replacing both with a recording that says: "Hi you have reached the technical help line for CenturyLink. This recording has replaced a real American to help you in person because they were restricted from providing any actual help. As this is a recording, so we don't have to listen to your whine about how crappy your service with us is and as you will receive no help anyway it's cheaper for our company to simply waste your time with this recording instead of having an actual "American" person take your calls. If you need help, drive 15 miles to our retail center where we actually have some good people who will listen to you and get you the help you need. Thank you for wasting the time to listen to this recording." That is about what I have been getting from your "help chat". If you can get someone who can fix the telephone problem that affecting me or perhaps my whole neighborhood, I would be more than happy to discuss ways you can make your customer service, technical service and public relations simpler and more effective. You might even get a few of the millions of customers you have lost to the cellular industry back to landlines.

Consumer Rating

I discontinued service they charged me a penalty for stopping service before end of contract. I find out this month they have filed a collection against my credit report for a total of $424.00. Supposedly I had the service in the year 2012 and they file on my credit report 3/15 date of last bill are you freaking kidding me. The collection agency says I had a bill cycle of 23 months. Not hardly I disconnected service 8 months after I initiated service and they told me to bundle the service was cheaper with them and dis network. Nope a whole lot more expensive. I was able to find services a whole lot cheaper. I am da-- pissed they turned me into a collection agency and have gotten by with this. I would be more than happy to be a class action lawsuit against these crooks.

Consumer Rating

Trying to set up Account online. I live in Texas. When online it states i Must enter my Access Code....I dont have an Access code so I call to get one...Here's what I got....

1. You got to call 800-201-4099 (told wrong number-couldn't assist me)
2. You got to call 800-788-3600 (told wrong number-couldn't assist me)
3. You got to call 866-642-0444 (told wrong number-couldn't assist me)
4. You got to call 800-244-1111 (told wrong number-couldn't assist me)
5. You got to call 877-646-3282 (told wrong number-couldn't assist me)

I hung up! So, what is the GD number I call so I can get an Access Code in order to set my account up online? After over 1-hr 45min of getting jerked around I still cannot set up my account to pay online because NO ONE in your company KNOWS who I contact to get a stinking Access Number... This is absolutely absurd--So what is my access number or what number do I call to get an Access Number.

Consumer Rating

I have tried for several months to talk to someone about my bill constantly going up but my service constantly going down. I pay almost 100 a month for internet that works part of the time. My bill started out at 50 and has gone up. been with this company for over 10 years and there service just gets worse.. They know that i can't get any other internet where i live that doesn't charge by gigbyte. So they figure they can do what they want to their customers

Consumer Rating

I was promised a $50.00 gift card and to date I have not received one. We signed up for the bundle package and was promised this gift card. We started receiving this package in August 2014. I want my gift card!!!!!!!! Please help! Account #7196215 Direct TV Account # 308111879 Centurylink

Consumer Rating

I responded to an ad you were running in January this year because Comcast (whom I had been with for about 12 years+) just kept going up all the time and they kept making less programs available to me every time. Your representative told me that by bundling with Centurylink (phone/direct TV/internet) I would get many more programs (most of which I find are trash or children's programs - I am on social security) and it would amount to $90+ dollars a month. He told me I would also get $25.00 off my first bill (estimated that to be about $115), and two prepaid visa cards - one for $100.00 and one for $50.00 after six weeks. My first bill from you was $150.00!!!

When I called about this they among other things said that because of the bill timing the next month would be about $70.00 and yes, I would get the two visa cards after six weeks. My next bill was $102.00. Since January 8 when I took on Centurylink, I have heard nothing about the visa cards. I called and was told that they were only going to send me one visa card for $100.00 and that was that. They gave me a number to register 670236208 and said I should log in to centurylinkrewardoffer.com which I did - GOOD LUCK WITH THAT. I want this matter resolved right now. As far as I am concerned this is a fraud, and demand that you live up to your agreement - so far I am getting terrible internet ability and bills are not as promised - and as above, I do not have the visa cards I was supposed to get.

Consumer Rating

I was on the phone about 3 months ago and the rep encouraged me to quit Cricket and switch over to Verizon but bill would go thru Century link at $25 per month, basic phone. It has been over 3 months and I have to pay Verizon almost $200 on this deal because the rep did not carry thru. Now Century is telling me there is no record of this transaction. So now Im having to pay Verizon $51 per month versus $25 per month. I am a senior citizen and have a limited income, and cannot afford the Verizon amount but i am stuck now with a contract for two years. Both companies, Century Link and Verizon switch me back and forth saying the other is responsible and so I am stuck.

1 customer agrees with this feedback

Consumer Rating

Chatted to get a new promotion since the last one was ending. I was told I could only save by signing up for home phone service and then it would only save me $20 off my new full rate. I signed up with another company because I could find a better deal. Called to cancel my service and he told me he was able to drop my service to cheaper then it was before for a one year term. I told him it was to late. He then offered me more deals. I told I would like to cancel. He then proceeded to tell me since my one year was not up until the 3rd of April I would not be able to cancel today unless I paid the early termination fee. I asked him to move the cancellation out to April 3rd, he was unable to his system only lets him move it to then end of the current month. I asked if there was any way around that and he said just for me to pay the ETF or to stay with them. I then told him I would call back on the first.

Consumer Rating

Since renewing my internet contract 4 months ago, CenturyLink has overcharged me every single month. I just removed auto pay from my account since CenturyLink is doing no less than stealing from me each month. I am now told that it is impossible for them to give me the internet rate I was promised, if I don't re-enable auto pay (which wasn't part of the terms). However, I have had auto pay enable for the past 4 months (longer, actually), and they've demonstrated that they'll still overcharge me with auto pay enabled. You'd think that 4+ months would be plenty of time for a company the size of CenturyLink to fix my bill. Instead, they're not upholding their end of their legal agreement to charge me the rate quoted to me.

To top it off, their customer service (specifically, the Customer Advocacy Group), shows little interest or ability to actually resolve this. I've asked to speak with someone higher up, and they outright refuse to transfer me. I've had to take many hours away from both work and family in order to address this seemingly never-ending issue, yet I've not once gotten any sort of acknowledgement that my time is valuable. Most companies I deal with would bend over backwards to keep a customer loyal. I'm not a complainer by nature. I don't ask for freebies or handouts. All I ask for is that CenturyLink honor it's end of the deal and charge me appropriately. I also ask that they somehow make things right and reimburse me for the time I've "had" to spend to resolve this (believe me, I'd much rather spend my time with family than deal with CenturyLink). Centurylong, this is no way to treat a customer.

Consumer Rating

I had Comcast television and internet for sixteen years. Thought I could save with bundling with Century Link and Direct Tv....at least that is what the Century Link agent lead me to believe. First off, they never told me there would be a two-year commitment with Direct Tv. When Direct came out to hook it up, I wasn't home and my son signed for it. Didn't get a bill for four months....Century Link told me that Direct would send my bill...wrong! I keep getting the wrong amounts for my billing on my internet...four times the amount originally quoted. They also hooked up my internet incorrectly with not near the speed again that was quoted! Everything about Century Link is AWFUL! Even when I go online for my billing, that is messed up. I punch in amounts paid in the last year, and they show one payment, etc. Don't do business with this company!

Consumer Rating

I have been a CenturyLink customer for 35 years as there is no other service available to me in my area. I feel it is criminal how they can "give you a deal" in a bundle package and you end up getting screwed. The last "bundle" I agreed to included long distance services which I don't use, but it was supposed to "save me money". The regular phone service charged extra fees of $12.47 (federal access charge, extended area service, non-telecom svc surcharge, access recovery charge)...which is rip-off enough, but the long distance portion of the bill has it's own fees included (State sales, special district sales, federal telecom relay service fee, federal universal service fund, state and local taxes, federal universal services fund, federal telecom relay service). WTH!! How can they get by with this!!

Consumer Rating

I was given a set price for a bundle package. Every month the bill was more than quoted price. Every month I had to call and fight them on it. Then when I called this month they said I had to pay the inflated price or they would disconnect me. I was quoted the original price 3 times, during 3 different phone conversations before I decided to sign up. The last time I called the representatives said I had been misquoted in the beginning and they were not responsible for it. This is outright fraud. How are they getting away with this???

Consumer Rating

In the beginning, we went through CenturyLink to get phone, cable and internet. When they signed us up for a bundle package, they then transferred us to Direct TV for the cable portion of the service. CenturyLink will sign you up but don't know the details about the terms and agreements for Direct TV. In the end of signing up, they requested a credit card for initial sign up fees. We were very clear in stating that this was the only time that we wanted to used this credit card. We explained in many different ways that we did not want the card to be used again. If there was to be any reason why they should need to use that credit card again, they would have had plenty of opportunity to explain it to us at that time. Instead, we were assured that this would be a one time use only. Direct TV offered some free trial movie channels for the first month. Well, if it's absolutely free, sure, we will give it a try.

After the first month, the free channels were still there and we got charged for them. We were never told that we had to contact them to discontinue the movie channels to prevent being charged for them. This Direct TV bill was going up and up and was not at all the original bundle package that we originally agreed to. We just could not afford to pay for these channels that we were not using. So, we requested to discontinue the Direct TV service all together. Just keep the phone and internet. They then went and charged $295 to the credit card that was used in the beginning, stating that it was an early termination fee. They stated that it is noted in the terms of agreement contract that we agreed to in the beginning. I never received or signed a terms of agreement ever!

They stated that they have a copy of it and they can send it to me. All they can send to me is a copy of the agreement... but there is no evidence that I ever signed or dated it. It's just a copy that can be sent out to anybody. I never saw it, but because it exist, everybody is suppose to have automatically agreed to it when they sign up for this service regardless of if you have ever read it or not. I went through their arbitration process to no avail. It's the same thing... because they have the agreement in existence, we are bound to it. I went through the credit card company to dispute this as well. The Credit Card company even stated that it was proof to them that the charge was legit because they have a copy of this agreement on file, unsigned.

So now, we are stuck paying this extra $295 that we couldn't afford in the first place and was the reason why we were cancelling the service. Since then, I have helped somebody else contact CenturyLink in regards to signing up for services. At the time of signing up, I asked them about the terms and agreement. I asked them if they could tell me specifically what the fee is going to be for early termination. The actually fee is not listed in the agreement. It just states that you are subject to one, but no specific amount is listed. If there is still a lawsuit in place for this, I would like to be part of it. Please let me know if there is any further direction that we can take on this. Thank you.

4 customers agree with this feedback

Consumer Rating

I signed up with century link for there prism tv and internet and I was promised a $100.00 gift card, I have bee on the internet on their web site just like I was told but there is no link to sign up to get the gift card, I have spoken with century links customer service several times and they have no answers on what to do, I just want what was promised to me.

Consumer Rating

we bundled out direct tv with a centurylink telephone.was supposed to be cheaper.well come to find out 1 year later we were being charged for dialup internet service from msn,2 days after we had ordered the telephone ect we got the bill and noticed the internet so we called and cancelled it to make sure we were not buying msn internet,today over 1 year later a bill comes with the internet service on it,we never noticed this before,they mixed it in carefully maybe to be confusing but we had been paying for the service for over a year.we contacted centurylink and msn both say oh we are sorry but there is nothing we can do.we paid over 200 bucks for something we never used,something our computers cant even run,we have no modems in our computers,we use cat 5 100mb fiber internet and have had it for over 3 years,anyway there has to be a way they can look and see we never used there dialup service.if it was the other way around .eg us owing them over 200 bucks they would surely send it to collections and harrass us .we want our money back MSN and Centurylink

Consumer Rating

DO NOT EVER GET SERVICE FROM CENTURYLINK!!! They will first pull you in with all of their lies and then when you get their service, they will screw you with everything they can. First I hooked up my service with the promise of $150 gift card just for signing up. Then I was told my first bill would be no more than $110 and when I got my bill they prorated me for 2 1/2 months resulting in a $250 bill. Second I knew I was moving out of state and I was assured that I could transfer my service no matter where I went. LIE!! They had to cancel my service, I had to turn in my equipment and because of all of that, I no longer qualified for the gift card that originally intrigued me to get the service.

Apparently I had to transfer my service which would have happened had they been able to like they originally had promised me, but they couldn't so they cancelled my gift card that was 1 day short of being sent in the mail. Yes that's right!!! I was one day short of my card being in the mail, but of course they wouldn't bother to tell me that. It just adds to the pile of lies. In short the lies and the cable service that cuts out continually are TWO BIG REASONS TO NEVER EVER CONSIDER CENTURYLINK AS YOUR SERVICE PROVIDER.

Contact the CenturyLink Complaint Department

• I want to write a letter to CenturyLink. What is their corporate mailing address?

• 100 Centurylink Drive
    • Monroe
    • LA 71201
  • I want to call the CenturyLink customer hotline. Do they have a phone number I can call to voice my problem?

318-388-9000
  • I need to visit the CenturyLink company website. What is their website address?