Customer Satisfaction Results

Complaint Department

Posted by Christine James
Feb 16, 2015
Poor

I have had the worst customer service ever with century link from loosing my install work order, deposit on account and being promised hundreds of dollars in credits that were never issued. Every time I call I am on the phone for t least 30 minutes and transferred three or four times. They promised me a gift card to be sent in sept and still don't have it it s february! They are the worst!!

Have you had problems with CenturyLink?

Compare CenturyLink to Similar Cable TV more...

Top 93 Reviews about CenturyLink

The most popular submitted in 2015. Are you a CenturyLink customer? Use our online web form to create your own.

Horrible

I recently switched from Dish to DirectTV because Direct offered internet; I later discovered that the internet is via Century Link. Century Link ( CL) came on Wednesday afternoon, May 20th, to install their portion. Today, Friday, May 22, I went into my backyard and discovered an orange cable from the CL box down my backyard, across the gravel drive to the garage, and draped over a 6 foot fence; thence down an alley about 15 yards, ACROSS the alley which is regularly traversed by large dump trucks, and into the back yard of a private residence. It APPEARS to go into a telephone work station pole. When I called CL to express my concerns, I was on hold for over 35 minutes or alternatively transferred, then given another number to call!

When I called THAT number I was AGAIN on hold for quite some time before someone actually said they would send a technician out "sometime within the next 48 hours." The work CL has done is slipshod at best, and reflects poorly on the company. It is far and away superior, however, to the companys customer service!!! I have a video of this orange cable into the alleyway on my iPhone which I will gladly share should anyone need a visual explanation to go along with this complaint. Ever the optimist, I hope to post a satisfactory resolution in the next 48 hours. Stay tuned...........

Horrible

November 2014, I was going to cancel my home phone. I called Century Link and stopped it after changing my mind. I asked if this was going to cause a problem with getting my same number. I was told no. It would take a couple of days and be back to regular.

When I called my daughter to tell her I re-instated my phone she said the number was different on her caller ID. I called Century Link back and after they told me they had it fixed. In the next month or two I received a bill for over $700. I called the company back. At this point, I have been on hold for over ten hours working on this.

They had been billing me the wrong amounts on the internet because when they missed up the account forgot to put the bundle back. They told me the adjustment was to high to refund. They told me it was because they had changed my account number when they gave me the wrong number and the auto pay stopped in September. I paid the bill and asked for copies.

I have made many, many calls to them. They told me they can't find my records before this happened. I have spoke with may supervisors stating they were going to research this and call me. No calls! The next couple of months I received bills that were never the same amounts. They said they had credits of each bill I assumed it was due to the billing error.

Today, they turned me off. I called on the billing yesterday to ask why my new bill was over $500. The person said it was due to someone else's account number being put on my direct tv account. I asked to hold off on the auto draft until they could send me the statements.

For some reason last month the auto pay started back up on it's own. My bill is normally due the 25th of the month but today is the 20th and I have no cable. They say I'm past due because they put an adjustment on this bill for $317.00 in which they say they had someone else's account number on my direct tv account. I called direct tv and they say I'm current.

I work in customer service and I can say I have never in my life dealt with such rude and non caring people. As of today, I have spent over 17 hours either holding or talking to your company. No one seems to take responsibility to get this fixed. I have been transferred 13 times of which I was told that is not my department. Who's is it?

Horrible

They only delivered 1/4 the service you pay for unbearable low upload speeds on a 40mps plan and CS will do nothing to help you. I thought this was a class action lawsuit, not just a complaint form because that is what's needed. They are ripping of me and several others in the Youngtown/Sun City Area Because they think us older folks will not catch on. They gave me the run around for half a year now. First they said it was the modem that I bought from them for way too much so got another one. Nothing changed then. They claimed it was my Ethernet Card got a new one still no fix, then they claim its my cable so got a new cable with large bandwidth still not fixed they 100% refuse to send any one out to check the lines and they want to charge me $120 for a tech to come out to my house

Horrible

I'm emailing on behalf of my mother. The residential phone service that you provide is very unreliable. It seems to stop working every weekend. There has been a service order on her phone at least 3-4 times over the last month and this is UNSATISFACTORY.

She relies on that phone for her safety and well-being. She is unable to contact 911 Emergency if necessary. Also, when I try to call on her behalf and report the outage, Customer Service refuses to talk to me. Well, how do you think she can report the outage if her phone is not working?? This is very dangerous and CenturyLink is negligent of their handling of this. Please treat this as a formal complaint and forward this to the President of the company.

Bad

Eight years of CenturyLink and it's been nothing but problems! This latest problem has been ongoing five months. Over 70 calls to customer no-service and they still refuse to fix the problems. In 2013 I had four technicians come out to troubleshoot the line and finally had to find the burned NID connection myself when the phantom ringing started in the middle of the night; then it took over 40 minutes to explain to the call taker that they needed to replace the NID, all because she kept insisting that I was not allowed to open the NID. In my thirty years working in industry, I have never seen a company so consistently incompetent as CenturyLink!

Good

I pay almost $80 per month for 7mbps yet best speeds I get are .5 on average. I've had enough.

Bad

I have never delt with such a unprofessional & unorganized company. I began services in Jan. 2015 and that was the worst mistake as I have had the same 2+ hour conversation with these people monthly. They continue to shut my internet off due to "no payment" when they owe for an outrageous overpayment! I've been hung up on for asking for the persons badge number, location & name (which I was advised to do from Direct Tv) I've been placed on hold for over 20 minutes while they are "trying to fix my account" at the end of every phone call, I feel relieved, they tell me they are wrong, this is their mistake, assure me this will be corrected and apologize up & down.

Considering "supervisors" don't ever seem available to talk, I have been guaranteed twice now they will contact me the following day. They never do, I just receive another outrageous $300+ bill for Internet only! I don't even have a working computer in my home. I use wifi for TV & my son has an iPad. I'm a single mother of a precious sweet boy. I work full-time to make ends meet. I have spent countless hours on the phone with this company in the past 5 months (which I have NEVER done with any other company in my life!) I could have used that time with my little boy as I don't get much of it. This company disgusts me & if I could, I would sue them for my time. Save yourself the monthly headache.. Go with a different company.

Horrible

When I changed cellphone services I kept the number. The number prefix shows out of the local area and suddenly I started being charged long distance when I call my cell phone from my residence. The cellphone company is in the same city that I live in and the calls (ones charged) were local. The CenturyLink people offered no resolution and in so many word "that is the way it is."

Horrible

I spent 45 min. last night in your chat room trying to resolve this issue. You obviously have some dumb people working there. No one could even get back to me to answer my problem. I received a postcard in the mail to compete a promotion for my prepaid visa card. I was instructed to visit centurylink.com/getmy reward to enter a campaign code to complete the transaction online. Well.....,that is NOT a website and my server said it was unsafe!!

Is this another bogus promotion from you?? What the heck? I would expect to find a link on your website for reward center and there is nothing! I logged on to my century link account and couldn't find a thing about this prepaid visa reward. What is up with this? You need to make it a little easier to redeem this. Please advise how I can complete this promotion as I will not log on to an unsafe website!

Bad

My wife & I have had a lot of problems with the service at CenturyLink. Our billing keeps going up every time we get our next bill!! Can we cancel our service because of poor service?? If not, we want to let you know we won't renew our contract when our year's contract is up!! We are going back to Comcast. They didn't keep raisiing our monthly bill EVERY time we got our next bill & the service was not having lines in the screen or frozen screens. We had a tech come our and nothing the tech did helped solve the problem.. We will not pay a high billing price to watch television. One high note: the internet speed is really good, but that is the only thing we can say that is a plus!!

Horrible

First it was not having internet service hooked up, then it was at a speed lower than I was paying for, now you turned my e-mail off. In total I have spent something more than 3 hours trying to get everything resolved. Today alone I have been transferred 3 times to people who say "sorry, that is not my account. I will transfer you to someone who can assist you." - 40 minutes latter I hung-up! I have been a customer for over 12 years, been a stock holder and now I am one pissed off customer! Why can't Centurylink transfer accounts between systems and why can't your service reps do their jobs? I will not sit on hold anymore for you guys to get it right, please call me with someone who can help.

Bad

I have no complaint with the internet service I signed up for or the installation. However, customer is the WORST!!!!! I called a few days after getting the internet service in regard to a commercial that CenturyTel is broadcasting that offers broadband plus direct TV for $45 per month. I have spoken to no less than 9 different representatives asking about this package. I have been told, that I am mistaken, I misunderstood, I didn't see what I thought, that does not exist and a few other frustrating comments. I watched the ad on television several times and was sure of what I saw, but pulled it up on the internet and watched it several times to be sure I understood. Still I am told it does not exist. False advertising?????

I was told when I signed up for internet service that my first bill would be a certain amount and even received an email confirming that amount. Guess what! My bill was nearly twice what I was quoted!! Of course I didn't receive the bill until AFTER the 30 day window in which I could have cancelled the service had passed. Had I known in that 30 days what they were charging me I most assuredly would have cancelled. I am quite sure that the timing was well calculated to force people to pay for the length of the contract and con us into having to pay higher rates because we don't know what they are up to until it is too late.

Horrible

I have also been lied to and cheated by this company for the past year and a half, since the end of 2013. I have called them on it every month. They offer to set things right and quote me a price to resolve things and then when I get the next months bill, it's twice what it should be. Do they really train people to be this inept in accounting or what is really going on? i have asked for an explanation of the so-called 'services' that seems to double the cost and all I get is double talk. I hate having to call every month to straighten out my bill and have to listen to gobbledygook every time. I realize this is just a complaint website to sound off and nothing will ever come from it, but it helps to vent with others who understand. If a lawyer ever gets this, I hope CenturyLink has to pay double damages, just like they charge others.

Bad

CEO: Glen F. Post III - CFO: R. Stewart Ewing Jr. - COO: Karen A. Puckett. I have contacted the CenturyLink technical line several times over the past 3 weeks. Each time I use the "chat" feature I make contact with a "technician" who does not know how to solve my problem. My internet works. I am paying for the 1 Gbps download and 25 Mbps Upload capability. I am receiving 24-25 Mbps download and 1.04 Mbps Upload. My Prism appears to work as normal. My problem is I have no telephone service. I am paying for the blanket Phone>Inside>outside>local>Long distance repair capability. First of all when I contact your technical section online, I am warned that it will cost me $85 to have my inside lines fixed if your repairman finds the problem is inside the house. I don't appreciate this threat.

According to your Retail center office (where I have to drive to during their business hours) I am protected even if my phone itself fails (I have been there several times recently and that is the only way I get any help). It is now Easter Sunday. I wanted to call my family members and wish them a Happy Easter! Could I? NO! Because my telephone portion of the CenturyLink service is off again. Thank you. I am anticipating a Job offer from Glaxo Smith Kline which opportunity I may have lost over the past week due to the telephone service at my house having "NO LINE". I finally got a service repairman to come out Saturday. Of course the phone was working fine when he arrived. He chalked it up to "intermittent mystery problem". The telephone lines that run from the poles outside of my subdivision through the neighborhood were installed by a JackLeg subcontractor that Embarq hired to slam them into the ground several years ago.

There used to be audible cross-talk on the lines. Now it appears "according to your repairman", that a possible problem with these old lines may be affecting my phone. There are some loggers tearing up the wooded area behind my house about 200 yards away. Your service technician suggested that may be part of the problem. I doubt that because the lines run parallel to the street and it is nowhere near the work being done. Most people are shying away from landlines in this country. It is probable you will continue to lose more customers by continuing with the unconcerned attitude your company appears to be taking with this issue. "Why bother to fix the root cause of the problem, when the customer is probably going to use a cellular device anyway?" I choose a landline at my home because there are two converging cells at my house. One company in the living room, a different cell company in the bedrooms. The cellular reception on either is hideous. Are you trying to force me to use a cellular phone and dump my landline?
Is there someone at the switch (and I know you have switches) flicking mine off as part of some perceived "funny joke"?

Perhaps your repairman could come out and rip the entire phone wiring system out of my house and replace it guaranteeing elimination of that as part of the problem. Everytime a service technician has been out here they connect their meters and equipment and find no problem. It's similar to when you are so sick you feel like you're dying and as soon as the doctor puts the stethoscope on your chest you feel fine.
Your online chat is pretty much worthless. You do not allow your attendants to make a contact to the people at your company who can "supposedly" really help (the 800 numbers). They say because they are a chat that you do not allow them to make telephone contact to your various helplines for your customers. When my landline is inoperative, as it is right this minute: 7:04pm 04/05/15, and I contact the "chat" help, the attendant is, by your rules, "not allowed" to make contact with the people who they (the attendant) are telling me to call for help. Mr. Spock would say "perplexing". Logically if I have no cellular phone, and my landline is inoperative, it would prove impossible to telephone your help lines for assistance. But it is the only thing your "technician" (attendant) has to offer. I recently was offered a survey of your online service. I gave it "very dissatisfied" as a rating.

You should not use the term "technician" with your answering service's, attendants, and repairmen you send to your customer's homes that can't find the problem. A technician is a person who is a hands-on troubleshooter (successful) who can diagnose, analyze and make a repair or replacement of defective parts, processes, equipment or systems. An engineer is a college trained person who sits at a desk, thinks they know all the answers and lay out all sorts of designs and plays with CAD to make pictures all day that may work if a good "technician" knows how to physically create or repair the actual process or equipment. The engineer is paid at least twice as much as the technician and does 1/2 the actual work. Telephone or Chat attendants are limited "answer the phone" and assign the work to the technician people and have no business whatsoever being titled "technicians" They fix nothing and can't even understand a problem when it is explained to them in terms a child would understand. When they can't do this they are useless.

I don't know if your voice operator attendants who are on the voice end of the technical service line are any better than your "chat" people but if they are the same, you could save a lot of money by replacing both with a recording that says: "Hi you have reached the technical help line for CenturyLink. This recording has replaced a real American to help you in person because they were restricted from providing any actual help. As this is a recording, so we don't have to listen to your whine about how crappy your service with us is and as you will receive no help anyway it's cheaper for our company to simply waste your time with this recording instead of having an actual "American" person take your calls. If you need help, drive 15 miles to our retail center where we actually have some good people who will listen to you and get you the help you need. Thank you for wasting the time to listen to this recording." That is about what I have been getting from your "help chat". If you can get someone who can fix the telephone problem that affecting me or perhaps my whole neighborhood, I would be more than happy to discuss ways you can make your customer service, technical service and public relations simpler and more effective. You might even get a few of the millions of customers you have lost to the cellular industry back to landlines.

Bad

I discontinued service they charged me a penalty for stopping service before end of contract. I find out this month they have filed a collection against my credit report for a total of $424.00. Supposedly I had the service in the year 2012 and they file on my credit report 3/15 date of last bill are you freaking kidding me. The collection agency says I had a bill cycle of 23 months. Not hardly I disconnected service 8 months after I initiated service and they told me to bundle the service was cheaper with them and dis network. Nope a whole lot more expensive. I was able to find services a whole lot cheaper. I am da-- pissed they turned me into a collection agency and have gotten by with this. I would be more than happy to be a class action lawsuit against these crooks.

Bad

Trying to set up Account online. I live in Texas. When online it states i Must enter my Access Code....I dont have an Access code so I call to get one...Here's what I got....

1. You got to call 800-201-4099 (told wrong number-couldn't assist me)
2. You got to call 800-788-3600 (told wrong number-couldn't assist me)
3. You got to call 866-642-0444 (told wrong number-couldn't assist me)
4. You got to call 800-244-1111 (told wrong number-couldn't assist me)
5. You got to call 877-646-3282 (told wrong number-couldn't assist me)

I hung up! So, what is the GD number I call so I can get an Access Code in order to set my account up online? After over 1-hr 45min of getting jerked around I still cannot set up my account to pay online because NO ONE in your company KNOWS who I contact to get a stinking Access Number... This is absolutely absurd--So what is my access number or what number do I call to get an Access Number.

Bad

I have tried for several months to talk to someone about my bill constantly going up but my service constantly going down. I pay almost 100 a month for internet that works part of the time. My bill started out at 50 and has gone up. been with this company for over 10 years and there service just gets worse.. They know that i can't get any other internet where i live that doesn't charge by gigbyte. So they figure they can do what they want to their customers

Horrible

I was promised a $50.00 gift card and to date I have not received one. We signed up for the bundle package and was promised this gift card. We started receiving this package in August 2014. I want my gift card!!!!!!!! Please help! Account #7196215 Direct TV Account # 308111879 Centurylink

Bad

I responded to an ad you were running in January this year because Comcast (whom I had been with for about 12 years+) just kept going up all the time and they kept making less programs available to me every time. Your representative told me that by bundling with Centurylink (phone/direct TV/internet) I would get many more programs (most of which I find are trash or children's programs - I am on social security) and it would amount to $90+ dollars a month. He told me I would also get $25.00 off my first bill (estimated that to be about $115), and two prepaid visa cards - one for $100.00 and one for $50.00 after six weeks. My first bill from you was $150.00!!!

When I called about this they among other things said that because of the bill timing the next month would be about $70.00 and yes, I would get the two visa cards after six weeks. My next bill was $102.00. Since January 8 when I took on Centurylink, I have heard nothing about the visa cards. I called and was told that they were only going to send me one visa card for $100.00 and that was that. They gave me a number to register 670236208 and said I should log in to centurylinkrewardoffer.com which I did - GOOD LUCK WITH THAT. I want this matter resolved right now. As far as I am concerned this is a fraud, and demand that you live up to your agreement - so far I am getting terrible internet ability and bills are not as promised - and as above, I do not have the visa cards I was supposed to get.

Horrible

I was on the phone about 3 months ago and the rep encouraged me to quit Cricket and switch over to Verizon but bill would go thru Century link at $25 per month, basic phone. It has been over 3 months and I have to pay Verizon almost $200 on this deal because the rep did not carry thru. Now Century is telling me there is no record of this transaction. So now Im having to pay Verizon $51 per month versus $25 per month. I am a senior citizen and have a limited income, and cannot afford the Verizon amount but i am stuck now with a contract for two years. Both companies, Century Link and Verizon switch me back and forth saying the other is responsible and so I am stuck.

Contact the CenturyLink Complaint Department