How I Complained to Home Depot Corporate Headquarters

I just contacted Home Depot corporate with a terrible complaint. Here is what happened and how I handled the situation. I hope other shoppers will follow my lead and voice their opinions to the store, the management team, and the executives at Home Depot.

On or around May 22, 2016, I ordered carpet from Home Depot in Longview Washington for my renovated rental house.  Mike, the sales associate stated if I ordered something in stock I could get it installed in approximately two weeks.  In just a few days someone came out to measure for the carpet.  We were given an install date of June 15th.  We coordinated with Home Depot that we would pick up the carpet to save the additional $75.00 fee if the installer had to pick up the carpet. The name of the installer for Home Depot was Romanoff.

Around the 13th of June I received a call from Romanoff that they were not installing our carpet on the 15th and they wanted to reschedule the install for July 7.  I said that was not acceptable because I had people moving into the rental on July 1.  My husband and I went to the Home Depot in Longview and met with Sarah in the flooring department. I told her I had been rescheduled for July 7 which was not going to work.  Sarah was very helpful and took meticulous notes on our order.

We told her we were going to just pick up the carpet and find another installer.  She informed us that the carpet had already been picked up by the installer even though we made prior arrangements to pick up the carpet ourselves She called Romanoff and told them that the install date of July 7 was not going to work.  Romanoff rescheduled our install for June 30.  This was an extremely tight schedule but at least our renters could still move in.

On June 26th we received an email from Romanoff that they would be at our rental in Longview on June 30 between the hours of 8 and 10 am.  On June 30 I took a day off from work to meet the installer.  The installer did not arrive between the hours of 8 and 10.  At 10:30 I received a call from Romanoff who informed me the installer was running late and he just left Vancouver.  She said he would be at my rental in approximately 40 minutes which was drive time since he had left approximately 10 minutes prior to calling me.

I waited till 12:30 pm and the installer was still not at the house.  I called Romanoff several times but no one would answer the phone.  I left a message but did not get a call back.  My husband called and was put on hold for 30 minutes.  Finally, a male associate answered the phone.  My husband asked what was going on and that we got a call informing us that the installer was on his way.  The male on the phone stated “You should have never been F-ing told that”.

My husband asked if I should wait around for the installer since at that point it was 3:00 pm.  He said not to wait because the installer was not showing up.  He stated he was going to get to the bottom of this and would call my husband back in 10 minutes.  He never did call us back at all.

Meanwhile I called Home Depot and spoke with a customer service person and told her about what was going on.  She said she could give me the phone number of Romanoff install.  I said I already had the number and I wanted a manager to call me and to call Romanoff.  I did not receive a call from Home Depot so I went there in person.  I met Brian who is the sales associate for cabinets.  I said I needed to cancel the carpet and I wanted to speak to a manager.  Todd, the manager of Home Depot came to the flooring department to meet me.

I told him the whole story of what transpired with this carpet purchase.  Todd was empathetic but stated he could do nothing to help me because it was not an “in store” issue and he had no power over the install company.  I thought that was an odd statement since I purchased the carped “in store” and Romanoff always introduced themselves as “Home Depot” installers.  In fact, Home Depot had already billed me two days after I had ordered the carpet “in store”.   No one took responsibility and I ultimately cancelled the carpet order.  I was meeting my renters in less than an hour to hand over the keys and I had no flooring in the house.

I went to Sloan’s Flooring located in Longview and told them my story.  Tina the sales associate called her installers who said they would install the carpet right away.  I picked out carpet and they installed it that night so my renters could move in.  This cost me approximately $1,000 more than what I would have paid had Home Depot and Romanoff had made any effort to follow through with their commitment to me as a consumer.

I have never seen such incompetence and irresponsibility ever for a large box store.  The pure negligence alone is beyond belief.  Romanoff has never contacted us to even apologize and Home Depot obviously continues to sell carpet with empty promises.  We will never order flooring from Home Depot again and we will tell everyone who will listen our purchasing experience and how poorly we were treated by both Romanoff and Home Depot.

I would not recommend that anyone do business with the Longview Home Depot they clearly have no conscience and do not care about their customers.  Incidentally we spent approximately $9,000 at Home Depot on our renovation prior to ever ordering flooring.  This did not matter as they have no loyalty to their customers.

1-800-466-3337
2455 Paces Ferry Rd NW, Atlanta, GA 30339

Comment:

I scheduled a job for flooring installation from Home Depot in early Sept, was promised an install within two weeks, 6 weeks later the install happened and the disaster starts there.  Home Depot came to my home and bid a job, they ordered the material, I was passed from wood floor people every time I presented to the store to discuss the install, at no time did anyone tell me I needed to special order base board, how would I know this was even an option.

So the install talks place and quarter rounds are set in next to the existing base board, they do not sit flush with the walls, do not fit properly, It looks like a first grader installed this job.  Now Home Depot is telling me I should have known or someone should have told me to order base boards, really?  I did not bid the job nor am I contractor?  How would I know this?  I did not even know what a quarter round was until this mess was supposedly done.  There are holes under my entrance door where cold air comes thru, not Home depots problem, I need to hire a contractor to fix.

Really?  The installer has informed me that the quarter rounds cannot be fixed as he has left a gap between boards and quarter rounds so base board will not fix the problem.  There are holds on the stairs where not quarter round was installed.  The step molding on the first step hangs out 1/8th of an inch will not support weight very long.  I am sure it will be the first thing to break.

The floor where they come together with a cut do not match on the steps, uneven.  The doors where they removed the slide swing wide, too high now cannot fix.  I have sent pictures and emails to the installer and ASM at home depot.  Please let me know if you wish to have pictures.  My next stop is of a legal nature.  I cannot believe this could be considered a professional job of any nature.

Comment:

I bought a washer and dryer from home depot.  The installers were unable to make the dryer fit into the closet so they removed one louver door and had the other one pushed open smashed against the toilet. I recently found that my dryer was not heating.  I called the home depot at Pinellas Park and spoke with a woman. I explained that a friend tried to fix the problem but cut too much off the vent pipe.  She offered to solve the problem by having me buy another ventilation kit for $25.00 and she would send someone to install it for $45.00.

I went to the store to pay for this at the customer service desk and the man working there told me I could buy a shorter pipe and not have to pay $25.00 . As we were talking a woman came behind the counter and very rudely interjected herself into our conversation. I told her I was working with the man. She replied by saying "he has only been here for two days."  When I walked away she said for me to wait as she would get me a supervisor. I said I didn't need a supervisor. I then went to where the dryer vents were and a very nice man helped me find the right size.

It was $8.00. I think the installers created this mess and this woman wanted to cover it up. I just wanted my dryer to work and I didn't need to be charged $70.00 for what should have been done at no charge since I paid for the installation and did not really get the dryer installed as it was protruding out, the louver door was sitting in my bedroom and the one they left on was smashed against the toilet creating a difficult situation when I needed to use the toilet.  I hope the man who was a new employee didn't get in trouble or quit because of the obnoxious woman.

Home Depot needs people like him who try to help without costing the customer a lot of money and the rude woman needs to stay away from customers.  My wife and I purchased a Whirlpool refrigerator, Double oven stove and dishwasher from your Germantown MD. store one week ago, they sent an installer out for the dishwasher who said it would go in the space.

We went to the store to see what our options were, a manager said we could pay to have it installed, and the installation charge would be refunded. We called a plumber he said your installer did not know what he was talking about he could put it in but the cost would be 175.00 dollars. Well Home Depot called back and said they would send another installer out, he came in and said he would be out  Mon. today Nov. 16  to install it.  Well the brand new Whirlpool dishwasher is still setting in our living room.

I guess once you purchase something from Home Depot you do not care about the customer you got your money and that's all that counts! Keep this up and you will be like Hechingers out of business and closed. Over the past year we have purchased 10,000.00 dollars worth of appliances from you so we are not fly by night customers. Any help would be great, unlike your store management.

Comment:

I ordered a custom made door from the Sandy Springs Georgia store on Oct 12th 2015. As of today, 12/15/2015 I cannot get a truthful answer from anyone at Home Depot as to where the door is or even if it is actually built. No one ever calls back and I have been told at least 3 times that the door has shipped, only to be told that over and over again. I paid for the door in full as it was a custom order but have given up. Over $1,600 dollars. Worst customer service ever.

Then, on Sunday, December 13, my husband, one year old and I started to get out of the car and walk up to the local Home Depot location, which we are customers on a weekly basis. We noticed it looked dark, but didn't think much of it since it was only 6:45pm, maybe by the time we parked the car and had to get the baby out and head up to the doors I would even say it was 6:50pm. There were multiple customers walking away saying it was closed, how can it be closed 10 minutes early especially so close to the Holidays. Not only were people leaving but they had about five more cars park and walk up to the doors after us in the short time we were there.

So Home Depot closed 10-15 minutes early and turned away business from multiple people. I have worked in a store very similar and there is no way that the store would be closed early let alone none of the employees were even in sight, no cars in the parking lot, no employees leaving, etc. nothing. I am very disappointed since we are weekly customers and only live about 5 miles from this location. I don't know if this was just a one time closing or if the employees/manager do this frequently. You may want to look into this.

Comment:

So I am at Home Depot today and the older gentleman in front of me shows his ID for a veterans discount. The clerk tells him he does not qualify for a discount so the gentleman asked to see a manager. They ask me to go to another line because this may take a few minutes. I tell them no thanks I want to hear this.

So a young cocky full of himself moron comes to talk to the gentleman and says no you do not qualify. The gentleman tells him he has always gotten a discount there. So the moron says well we have told our people to tighten the rules and we only give what corporate requires we give and you do not qualify. The gentleman says he will then take his business elsewhere. The young moron replies that is your choice. The gentleman starts to leave and I step in.
 I tell the moron if one of your idiot friends walked through the door right now you would have the option of giving him a discount and with your attitude you would do it. So step over to the register and give this guy his discount. He says he does not qualify for it.

So I tell him look here is how this is going to work. Either you give this guy a discount and I call Home Depot corp and tell them how good of a manager you are in spite of the stupid policy. Or I go home call Home Depot corp tell them I stupid the policy is and their manager is a moron, then I blast face book and it goes viral and you get to be the moron you are. I think you know which one he chose. So people please blast Facebook with this story. What a rude man, he also told the gentleman that he would have to talk to the CEO of Home Depot to change his mind. I hate people who do not respect our military.

Comment:

I purchased a garage door from Home Depot, and it was installed. I do not believe it was the door I ordered, because I believed I ordered a door with handles; nevertheless, I was pleased with the appearance of the door, and the installation was good. I only had the door for almost a week, when I was coming home, (unaware the garage door was locked from the inside), used my remote to unlock the door from the outside. To my surprise the door was completely damage from using my remote. I explained my situation to Home Depot, and submitted a form to find out if there was anything they could do to assist me with a new door as a courtesy.

Mike, the manager took the form and presented it to the insurance office (I believe). They were unable to assist with this situation, so Mike agreed to pay half ($300.00 ish), and I pay the remainder amount for a new door (with free installation). It was taken so long in order for me to get the door, so I asked if I could order a different door (it cost less), but I was told no. This was submitted in November 2015, and it is now January 2016, and I still do not have my garage door. Every time, I called Welborne, they will say "the garage door' was not on the truck today.

Every time I called Home Depot, they tell me they do  not know when the door will arrive (or they will give me a date, and another date). They took my payment, and agreed to pay half, but now it is as though they do not want to do what they agreed to do on the form. It appears they are not being honest with me. Immediately, when I give Welborne my name, and they will ask if it is with Home Depot, they will tell me the garage door was not on the truck today. Any assistance with this matter will surely be appreciated. I believe your store stands behind their word. This is the Home Depot in Cedar Hill, TX.

Please help. I just need to get a new garage door installed ASAP.

Comment:

Gentlemen:  I am a veteran of WWII, Korea and Vietnam, retired from U.S. Navy after 23 years.  My military I.D. card shows "indefinite" which means until death, but does not show the word "veteran", nor does any other Military I.D. card as far as I know.  I also have a card showing that I am a  life time member of the Veterans of Foreign wars and yet these two cards do not get me the 10% discount which Home Depot Claims.  I had been receiving the 10% discount through the Live Oak, Fl. Home Depot for many years using my regular Mil. I.D. card but was refused the discount about a month ago.

The clerk saying that the word "veteran" had to appear on the I.D. card.  I don't understand this new policy and I don't believe that Home Depot means to exclude we veterans who have served honorably but don't have the word "veteran" on our card.  Would you please clarify and retrain your employees to honor veterans as you have in all previous years.

Comment:

Recently, I returned  a screen door hardware to the store in Harlingen,Tx. I did not have my receipt, but I had my credit card statement listing the purchase and price. After talking to several assistants, who insisted, that they had nothing in stock like it and that it did not come from Home Depot. I ask to speak to the Manager, there was no Manager on duty so but they would call the assistant, after a long wait he finally showed up and also insisted that the product did not come from Home Depot even though I told him I had my credit card statement with me.

He finally just walked off.  I was standing there after almost two hours, when a  young lady Vicetnta ask if she could help.  I told her what had happened.  She ask about the credit card statement, I showed it to her and she said, I can pull that up on line and get your receipt, which she did and gave me credit for my return.  Now I am wondering, why didn't the assistant Mgr. know this or did he just not want to be bothered.  I left the store totally tired and bewildered.  I have been a good customer of this sore since they opened here.  Now I am wondering if they really need or want my business.