7 Insane Complaints about CenturyLink Customer Service

We see a lot of complaints against CenturyLink customer service on our website. And that makes sense, because they service thousands of customers across the country. But no matter how many customers you have, there is never any excuse for treating people this poorly.

That's why at HissingKitty we address complaints at the corporate level. We give customers the means to fight back and share their story online in a forum where they can be heard. Here are seven of the most insane CenturyLink customer service complaints we have heard yet.

1. Prices going up since 1974
I agreed to a one year internet contract to begin on April 29, 2015.  The monthly charge has continued to go up and  the contract was also extended by century link without my permission or knowledge. I have sent certified letters to offices from the president on down and have not received a single reply. The ethics and customer service of century link is among the worst out there. I would never recommend them to anyone and I have been a customer since 1974.

2. Customer service reps are rude on the phone
I spoke to a customer service rep. about 20 mins ago by the name of Daniel. I was inquiring about your services in my area.  Because I was not ready at the time to make the purchase. He basically said " What did I called for and I wasted 10 minutes of his time." I told him " Since he come out of his face wrong, he doesn't have to worry about me calling century link again and have a good day. He made me fill like I should not have called unless I was making a purchase. I called to get understanding not his smart mouth. His job is to answer my questions. I do not have to make a decision at the moment if I do not want to. If he is going to have that type of attitude with future customers than he needs to get a different job. The way I see it. He only makes money when he makes a sell.

3. Poor internet service without warning
I live in Murchison, TX. After it flooded here we started having poor internet. We went from 10 to about 1.5. When we called to schedule an appointment we were scheduled for a Friday at 4. At 8 Friday we called because we had not seen or heard from anyone. They apologized and promised we would be first Saturday morning and they would be here by 10. At around 5 we called because we still hadn't heard from anyone. They finally showed on Monday just to tell us they had too many people for their server and the problem would be fixed August 22. That is 3 months with Internet that barely allows us to even look at web pages and you can forget streaming or gaming as we frequently do.

Why would they sell when they know their equipment can't provide? Why would they promise what they can't provide? They gave us a discount but that's not helping our problem and we are still paying for a service they aren't providing. I entered a 3 yr. Triple Play contract in March of 2014 for $127.99.  The short story is, DOZENS of phone calls between CenturyLink/Directv; a complaint that led to a mediator (assigned by CenturyLink).  BARELY acceptable bills came after that for about 3 months---now we're back to astronomical.  Over $200 for the current billing period---I just want what I was promised.  I'm now at the point of a complaint with the Attorney General in my state.

4. Beware of the bundled service deception
I have been dealing with you people all week. But it seams that I can't get my complaint to anyone that can help me or WANTS to help me. Three Chat sessions were terminated tonight!. One survey I could not send!  Then the last to Customer Service gave me this message. The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request. Please contact the server administrator, you@selfservice.centurytel.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error. I am paying for 15 mbps, but the best speed test has been 2.26 & 1.54.

Hughes Net is looking better every day, since dealing with your reps. CenturyLink promised to send me a prepaid Visa  valued $150 when I set up the bundled services with them.  I have waited a month and have yet to receive the card.  They promised to send out a card and have not.  When I called customer service at CenturyLink they had no knowledge or record of the prepaid Visa. They lied to get me to sign up for their services. Buyers beware of CenturyLink's deception.

5. Destruction of property and livestock
Century link is using 9 poles across my property.  I have expensive livestock in the field.  All I asked was to be notified the day ahead if coming on my property so that I can move livestock to a safe area.  Century link techs have just showed up on more than one occasion.  I have tried to stop them. Livestock has been in the field where Century Link wanted to work. I had 22 babies on their way and Century Link was causing a lot of stress to the herd.  I was bullied, threatened, yelled at, insulted.  One Tech got in my face and I had to push him away.  I have had to call the police.  There is no recorded easement agreement registered in the county nor is Century Link grandfathered in to use my property.  I have left many many messages but no one is returning my calls.  I need to have information on whom to contact in Century Llink"s legal department so my attorney can work with them on a resolution.  This is now going on four months.  No one is returning any calls.  The next step is to run over their box on the corner of my property.  Maybe that will get their legal department to contact me.

6. Should have stayed with DirectTV
We had Prism installed 3-6-15 after being told how great it is and we would get a $300.00 gift card in about 8 weeks.  Today is 7-8-15, a little past 8 weeks, and nothing yet.  I guess CenturyLink has a different callandar than me !  We were lied to about the cost, I called 4 times and got four different prices.  I was happy with Direct TV but they assured my cost would be less...WRONG...was $30.00 more.  My internet has slowed way down, and having lots of trouble with centurylink.com  I was told that Prism can cause some problems, is this true ?  I am one very unhappy customer.  Have called a few times as to w hat is taking so long, cannot get a straight answer. I feel like I am dealing with used car sales people.

7. If I could rate 0 stars I would do it
If I could rate lower stars, I would. As of this writing I will have spent eight hours and eleven minutes trying to get my phone service hooked up. I had originally ordered phone and internet services to be installed on 8-19-2015. After the first six hours of wrangling with a customer service department devoid of either humanity or a spark of intelligence I set up service with HughesNet for my internet service. It cost more but the service was in the next day. This morning, 8-24-2015 I started wrangling with customer service again for my phone line. First we had to go through each detail again. They tried to blame me, Hughes net, etc.........for their own incompetence.

Two hours and five  minutes later I have a repair visit scheduled. This will be the third scheduled visit, the first two were no shows. I have seen incompetence before. CenturyLink takes first place. I believe that Century Link is staffed by drugged hyenas using voice modulators. I can think of no other excuse for their consistently inane, idiotic, circuitous, and ridiculous excuse for customer relations. As soon as I find out the name of the head hyena I will be sending them my complaint. Not that it would do anything but perhaps make it easier for them to lose their license from the FCC when it comes up that they are not providing services to their customers. I also want to apologize to hyenas everywhere for using them as an example of incompetence.  Hyenas are great, they do not belong in human communications.

We returned our modem to you several months ago and you still are charging us.  I called corporate to make sure you did receive the modem and you responded to me saying you did receive it.  My husband has continued to pay the bill and I did not know until today that he had continued to pay.  You are charging us and I want my  money back. I feel I need to get a lawyer to get my money back.  Since I started using CenturyLink, I've had multiple phone line outages and loud static.  I currently have no dial tone and am expecting a repair person to show "later in the day".  This is the third time I've had repair people for line issues in the last 3 months.

1-866-904-1817
100 CenturyLink Drive, Monroe, LA 71230

Comment:

Been dealing with customer service since June/2015. My Internet service is zero most of the time had technical support come to the house twice and 3rd one is coming Wed. 8/6/2015. Retention rep named Taylor said they will charge me early cancellation fee if I don't cooperate and let tech come to my house for a 3rd time. Another rep named Loretta said that I have to just accept that I get poor service. Both Tech's that came to my house said there is nothing they can do to solve the problem. They won't let me out of their contract even though I was assured at time of ordering service that I would be able to stream movies music and play games. Haven't been able to do any of those things in months. Using my Verizon service for data. Very unhappy with CenturyLink.

Comment:

CenturyLink is leaving their modem opened to the internet for hackers to enter.  My husband had just recently fixed this problem via home and once with Century.  Today I checked the modem/router, it has been re-opened to access the internet.  Something need to be done or CenturyLink does not need to be in Colorado Springs. If this issue is not fixed, they will lose another customer and I will go another ISP.

When I cancelled service with them I was told I owed no money and that I was getting a credit, but that I would receive a final statement.  I never received a final statement, and actually never received any contact, but today I opened a letter from a creditor saying I owed almost $400.  I called and spent hours on the phone with them and no one could explain why I owed, but they were adamant that I did owe.

I asked to speak to a manager and they told me that was impossible but that I could mail a letter to executive office and meanwhile they will continue to affect my credit despite their inability to explain the charges. Horrible customer service, horrible product, horrible company. Do not purchase services from this company! I have tried to contact them over a weekend....no response.  Best I got was #82 on their chat talk and was #81 3 mins later. Decided not to waste the whole afternoon to get my password. Will call on Monday and cancel service, but this is the worst customer service I have EVER dealt with. This company will implode as customers find other choices.

Comment:

Promised a promotional price after offer expired and told price was locked in for first year.

1st bill was $36.35
2nd bill was $38.44
3rd bill was $40.22

I guess your word don't mean much!  No wonder you want autopay!

Comment:

I had requested on several occasions to have my billed reduced to around $100.00.  I have been trying for at least 3 months to no avail.  The service you have provided me has been awful.  I have been put on hold numerous times and hung up on at least 3 times.  I did finally speak to someone who was to reduce it to $122.00 total with all taxes included.  This never happened. I have spoken to several representatives to resolve this issue and as you can see has failed miserably. My bill is now up to $233.00 and I have nothing.  I cannot believe you can do this to people and get away with it.  I have been with Verizon, Time Warner, Comcast and Xfinity and have never been treated this way.  They did everything to help, unlike CenturyLink who did absolutely nothing.

Sad there are corporations like you in existence. You don't even deserve a 1 star. Then, in December of 2015 I needed to change my router for Internet service. I changed out Router verified that it was the Router that was bad, sent Router back with CenturyLink box and address label to the UPS drop box. know two months later I am being billed for the old one. and my being on hold for 3 hours trying to get this problem resolved was not satisfactory, been a customer with CenturyLink for a long time I am in contact with the  Minnesota Attorney General office to get this matter resolved. feel free to email me at any time there is no reason I would keep something that not working. and being a address label that has your address on it shipped to your office should be there, the problem is some one failed to check it in that's your employees responsible

Comment:

Customers in Forks Washington keep losing internet access, this is a ever day issue.  This includes everyone and businesses as well.  The  service also slows down to a crawl.  This suppose to be high speed internet that is what we pay for.  The problem needs to have a permanent fix.  We complain and we are told that this is the price we pay for living in the boonies.  I don't believe this to be true.

What is wrong with the internet is it lack of maintenance, lack of knowledge, or outdated equipment.  I signed a 3 year contract for landline and DSL service. The price quoted was $89 per month for the first year and $119 per month for the next 2 years. My bills range from $149.00 to $265.00. I registered a complaint and was told someone would contact me, which never happened. The bills are impossible to decypher, several pages with various charges and credits, fees, etc. So there is no way to know what I will be charged after the "promotional period" ends, but it looks like the best case scenario is at least $60 per month overcharge for 3 years. Stay away is all the advice I have for anyone that might get sucked in by one of their bundle scams.

Comment:

Phone service had been out since November 19th. Multiple attempts were made to inform CenturyLink of this by chat on the website and phone calls made to 1-800-244-1111, 1-877-837-5738, and 303-343-0861. I’ve received the most horrid, reprehensible, and pathetic customer service I’ve ever encountered. I’ve received conflicting information (many phone lines were cut by another vendor in the area with no estimated time of resolution to lines are up and there are no problems identified in the area). In December I was told by a supervisor that my account will be noted that I will receive a credit for not having phone service since November 19th. On approximately January 15th I received a phone call from a technician on the house line notifying me that he fixed my service. I called in to get my account credited and was told by CenturyLink that they couldn’t credit me until my phone was fixed. I told the woman I was talking to her on the fixed line. Her reply was “well we can’t credit you till he’s done with all the repairs.” When I attempted to challenge her on this she hung up the phone.

A number of calls in January did not fix the problem and just led to more confusion as representatives said they would revise my monthly fees to save me money due to customer loyalty but failed to do so. Also many couldn’t find notes that was supposed to be put in by prior customer service agents. I’ve been hung up on, my requests ignored, and transferred around in circles to departments I didn’t ask for or fellow agents when I asked for a supervisor or manager.

2/2 @ 2:40 PM spoke with Tanisha. I asked for a supervisor. Transferred to Jordan who was NOT a supervisor. Asked Jordan to transfer me. I was transferred to Robert #RXFIGUE. Says that he didn’t see any notes about me being credited for being down for 2 months and that he need to talk to technical depart to verify phone service was down. I asked him if he can take my phone number should we get disconnected. He replied that he can’t call me back because another call will come in. I asked why is it that the non-supervisors have the ability to call me back but he can’t as a supervisor. His reply is that we can’t make phone calls. WOW!!! I asked what happens if our call is disconnected.

He said that I have to call back. Upon returning to the call he said the technical desk said that I was only out of service for 5 weeks and that he can only credit me $50. When I refuted and asked that the date I received service was January 15th and that I want credit for 2 months. He said that he can only go by what the tech desk states. I asked to speak to a supervisor at the technical desk and the phone line was disconnected.
3:05 PM Spoke w/Mike. I asked for him to transfer me to a technical department supervisor. I was transferred to Steve. I asked if he was a supervisor. He said no. I asked for his ID #. He gave me his last name (Peterson). He asked me for my phone just in case we were disconnected (WHAT!?!?!?!). He said I can’t help you let me transfer you to the Residential Loyalty Department. The number he tried didn’t work or was out of service. He then attempted to transfer me to Billing. Have now been on hold for the warm transfer for approximately 25 minutes with him checking in from time to time. It was 3:46 before he returned with an agent. He said that I had to hang up because he had an agent on the other line and he couldn’t conference without calling me.

I was conferenced with a Steven (says he doesn’t have an ID#. Go figure) he’s in Residential Business & Billing. He stated that the proper revised rates for being a loyal customer weren’t being applied to my account and he was getting that straightened out. I was placed on hold for about 10 mins or so. When he returned he said that he was still working on my account and trying to get more information. I told him that I had to step away for a few mins and not hang up I would be right back. He said ok and placed me on hold. I was gone for approximately 5 mins and when I returned to my phone he was gone. He did have my phone number because he verified it with the previous customer service agent Steve. Time the call ended was approximately 4:15 PM. Apparently I can be place on hold for a great deal of time but they can’t wait 5 minutes on the customer. December 13th my bundled service ended. I was told by CenturyLink this was the end of the billing cycle. CU of CO shows the last 2 payments as: 10/12/15 – $205.96; 1/4/16 – $210.36.

I should have paid a full bill for November 2015 payment. However I did pay a full bill of $210.36 on 1/4/16 which covers November. December payment should be reduced due to the phone line being down since November 19th and I paid Direct TV $136.03 on 1/8/16. They (Direct TV) said they hadn’t received my payment from CenturyLink. As of 2/2/16 they say I owe a bill of $161.66 due on 1/23. I want the bill adjusted so that I am credited for the 2 months of no phone service (just internet service from 11/19 to 1/15) and ensure that I’m not charged for the last month of satellite/cable since I paid Direct TV $136.03 on 1/8/16 which covers the last month of that service AND that I am credited for the reduced customer loyalty rate I was promised and that it is in effect going forward.